PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 10-06-2015, 01:26 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
A rookie questions-Revell Replacement Blades

Among the various knifes I enjoy using is the Revell 88-6900 Premium Knife. It's a very conformable knife to use but more so is I like the design of the tip of the 88-6930 light duty blade. My question is, is there another blade out there somewhere with that same tip design but with a heaver duty blade? Thank you for the help guys.
Attached Thumbnails
A rookie questions-Revell Replacement Blades-88-6930-med.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 10-07-2015, 05:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
Not too long ago, I'm trying to recall where, I bought some blades exactly like those in your image.

They are made for surgical scalpels and I think it was a medical supply web site, but I don't remember its name. Also, not sure of their weight, but they did require a special handle, which was also available on the site.

If I remember it, I'll post the link,
SFX
Old 10-07-2015, 06:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 271.84 MB
I bought scalpel blades on ebay for about $10 and they came with a free handle.
Current builds: Mirco Firefly Serenity 1:96, Saturn V 1:72
ADD victims: WM Columbia 1:100, AXM Atlas V 1:300, OBP Spruce Goose, Uhu02 X-Wing... and many others
Old 10-07-2015, 08:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Waddie - How about the Revell medium duty blades? I've never used them, but they look as if they have the same shape as the light duty blades. Revell Medium Duty Blades (5)

Don
Old 10-08-2015, 02:14 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
I thought about too Don but it won't fit the knife handles I have. I would have to cut or grind to fit. I was hoping some has seen this type of blade with that special point. That is what I'm really after plus good steel to hold a edge. I guess I'm asking too much. Thanks guys for your help. wc
Google Adsense
Old 10-08-2015, 02:29 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
the medium duty blades go into a bigger knife handle, either the Revell one or one from X-acto or some no name brand.

If you want to get a good long lasting blade, and no mind is paid to cost, look into getting the Z blades from X-acto

I bought the 100 pack, and I really enjoy using these blades, yes they are 32 bucks a box, but I work hard and long in order to enjoy my hobbies
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 10-09-2015, 04:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 271.84 MB
I saw the recommendation for Z blades in another thread and decided to stretch the budget and give them a try... my experience with these blades has been quite different, apparently, than everyone else. The batch I got has a great many blades that have slightly blunted or rounded tips, and they don't seem to have as good of an edge, nor to hold their edge as well, as the excel blades I usually use. Just my $0.02, not that this helps the OP find blades with the Revell shape
Current builds: Mirco Firefly Serenity 1:96, Saturn V 1:72
ADD victims: WM Columbia 1:100, AXM Atlas V 1:300, OBP Spruce Goose, Uhu02 X-Wing... and many others
Old 10-09-2015, 09:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
Many of us have had trouble with #11 Ex-Acto blades whose tips break off. So I took it for granted that the Revell-blade shape came about to reduce that likelihood. If this shape works well for you, that's great. But to me, it merely means that the company's steel is no better than Ex-Acto's, As for Z blades, I'm still waiting on the free sample promised three years ago, so the company remains on my brown list.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.43 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
(snip)

As for Z blades, I'm still waiting on the free sample promised three years ago, so the company remains on my brown list.

Yeah, you and me both... Pretty crappy on their part to offer some free blades and then never send them...

Later! OL JR