PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 06-02-2009, 05:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
@Golden Bear well 30 or so mins into the search I found only one aircraft of yours & it was a float plane...
I like your Ships, have tentatively added a pre-1915 warship to my list - something like your Lavoisier. The emulation of galley-like prow appeals to me.

@Keds_Girl_Lala Spasibo! Very timely comment as I am just coming up to the half-track wheels - the % style being the design on the papertiger kit.

I think I will need to build up the front wheels in one of the ways you describe. First time I saw the coil method of wheel building I thought it an outstanding solution to the problems created by circular objects vs cutting & paper-grain.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I have occasionally used a simplified coil method (before I acquired an Olfa circle cutter). I didn't try to build the entire tire from a coil, but simply cut a long strip the thickness of the tire and coiled it inside the two disks that represented the outer surface of the wheel. It worked fine for simple, stand-off-scale, models for which disk-like tires were a close-enough approximation. I still use disk-shaped tires (with the disks now cut out of thin card) for a lot of my Fiddlers Green and other small models.

With regard to coiled=paper tires that actually replicate the shape of a tire: There used to be a paper model publication called "Cardfomation" wherein there was much discussion and some templates for the ultimate version of coiled wheels that was something like the devices Gil uses for shaping nose cones: a very long strip of paper tapered at both end that, if coiled tightly, would reproduce the contours of a tire.

Is this the "coil method" you are referring to, medved?

And whatever happened to Cardfomation?

Don
Old 06-02-2009, 06:53 AM

I think he refer back to my coil method I describe on the last page. I just cut a strip of paper thinner than the thickness of the two side pieces and wrap it loosely in the middle of the sides of the wheel. Then I wrap the actual tire edge around the outside. I try to make the joint of the tire edge on the bottom of the vehicle then.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:09 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Zealot Hobby Forum - View Single Post - Messerschmitt Bf109F-4 Trop, Halinski (Kartonowy Arsenal), 1:33, 4/2005
Here's an example of Carl's wheels on the Halinski BF109 from the other forum.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:16 PM

@boosed yep thats the one. As outlined by Keds_Girl_Lala.
I will try & find the article I was previously looking at online, but I suspect it was in Russian...
I was also thinking that whilst a really solid wheel could be made with a tightly wound strip a less tightly wound coil (a wound-down clock spring kinda thing) would be adequate for my current wheels & less demanding on diameter of the final coil.

@dansls1 thanks for that link! Those wheels look good to me - certainly something I can try to emulate.
Google Adsense
Old 06-02-2009, 02:26 PM

Here's a jpg of Vladimir Kotelnikovs' Kraz design - shows exactly how the method is employed (& you won't need any Russian). This is a simplified version of the contoured profile mentioned by Boosed I believe. The circular section, as I understand it, would be achieved by compounding coils of different widths.
Kiinda like:
(-_-)
|-|
(-_-)

in section.

Does make me wonder what the math formula is for calculating the length of the strip for a wheel of x diameter tho .... :p

Last edited by medved; 06-02-2009 at 02:36 PM. Reason: addition