PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 05-31-2009, 01:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Shaping wheels

Can anyone give me advice on shaping wheels - i.e. esp aircraft wheels -where an almost circular section is required? I would be starting with a set of small same-diameter discs in a block.

I am seeing comments about 'carving' & use of powered tools e.g. 'Dremel'

I only have heavier duty power-tools & suspect I'd vaporize the part or sand my fingers off b4 I got a curve :o

Are there any step-by-step guides about?

Last edited by medved; 05-31-2009 at 01:35 PM. Reason: edit
Google Adsense
Old 05-31-2009, 02:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
If this is of help:
Build: Up-Scale 1:20, Republic P-47D-25, Halinski 3/06
Old 05-31-2009, 02:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Something that really helps is having a good mandril for holding the wheel while sanding. The outfit that produces the pinebox derby stuff for the boy scouts carries a really good wheel turning mandril...it sells for about $3.50 US. The next time you run across a hobby shop or crafts shop with a pinebox derby display, look for it. You can chuck it up on just about any power drill....having a dremel is always nice, but not absolutely necessary.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
I use a 2mm-ish bolt that is threaded all the way to hold wheels and spin them up on the power drill to get a uniform shape.

To get the back shape, I use steadily decreasing rings of card - the difference between rings depending upon the profile of the tyre; I also do the same for the inside of the wheel so that hub is recessed. When I have the shape about right, I apply the petalled tire template that is downloadable from here or zealot (can't remember which site it is on) to get the curved profile. Once that is applied I liberally coat it in superglue, and then fit it to the drill and use a file for the final shaping smoothing.

Would show some pics but the camera is still in the shop for another few weeks (not severelyt broken just a bit out of the way to get to in winter)>
Old 05-31-2009, 06:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
As usual, I am the contrary opinion. I cut out the different pieces and layer them up... then take out a small sanding block and sand it into wheel shape. I can sand a flat spot where it bulges on the bottom of the tire, whatever. However, NOBODY does it this way except for the Golden Bear it seems. Still I find it particularly satisfying to get results without power tools.

Carl
Google Adsense
Old 06-01-2009, 06:16 AM

Very useful !!! Thanks guys.
I can see the benefits & aesthetics of both manual & powered shaping, & in both cases a secure mount for the item is imperative. If I can find a nice mandril I will definately try the process described.

SJPONeill I will search for this tyre template you mention

To compare the benefits of manual vs power I think I will need to see pics of Golden Bears' wheels vs those in the detailed how-to by Leif
Old 06-01-2009, 06:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
As usual, I am the contrary opinion. I cut out the different pieces and layer them up... then take out a small sanding block and sand it into wheel shape. I can sand a flat spot where it bulges on the bottom of the tire, whatever. However, NOBODY does it this way except for the Golden Bear it seems. Still I find it particularly satisfying to get results without power tools.

Carl
Your not the only one. I do it this way too. I use one of those larger sized fingernail emery boards for this.

Greg
Old 06-01-2009, 06:44 AM

Found info on the petalled tyre build
I guess one of the reasons that I was struggled to 'find' these 2 key articles by Leif & Gil is you guys spell tyre with an 'i' ...

This is such a great forum for varied skills.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
You can see examples of my wheels in my build threads in the aircraft section. I haven't posted an aircraft build for a couple years so you'll need to search back a ways.

Carl
Old 06-01-2009, 09:53 AM

Also, I find some wheels like on a vehicle, they are printed with the two wheel sides touching the middle of the tire. It look like a " % " symbol. I try to make the parts as they are printed but it comes out flat and the tire never fit right. But if you cut this into three parts, the two halves and the tire, you can make it better. For the thickness I have both cut extra disks of the wheel from card board to space the sides apart, or I have cut a thin band of paper and wrap it like a coil and fix it between the two halves. Then I wrap the printed tire around the edge.

If you see my Traction Engine pictures I show that kind of wheel and also the pully wheels for the Thrasher Machine.
Google Adsense