PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 02-01-2021, 06:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
So I got started in paper just a few years ago. My toddlers were given a G-scale train set and I wanted them to have some buildings to enhance the play. But, I didn’t want the Plasticville sets which they were sure to destroy. I was surprised at the options and pleased by the price.

Then I found thepapermodelingman site and it reawakened all those childhood dreams of space and exploration. My first build was the Spitzer satellite telescope. My first design was the GRACE satellite.

Great topic!
Old 02-01-2021, 07:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 302.42 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by umtutsut View Post
I was a longtime plastic modeler of aircraft and space subjects. Around 2009, I saw what master card modeler David Banners was doing with card models of space vehicles. I was hooked.

And I discovered there was a galaxy of space card models of subjects not available in styrene. Since then, I've built several dozen spacecraft, launch vehicles and research aircraft!

Les (The Voice of Authority)
David *Hanners*. Stoopid autocorrect! ☹️
Old 02-01-2021, 07:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I designed my first model way back in 1982, the same year PMI was under Lou Dausse, Lou became a mentor and personal friend.
Old 02-01-2021, 06:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 56.00 MB
Super Spreader Event

I was inspired by the creations of the crafter known here as toddlea. My first attempt was the unbuildable Tron Lightcycle. Todd generously pointed out a few of my mistakes, shared his frustration with that miserable offering, and pointed me to the Link Trainer. That one turned out marvelously, and the hook was set!
I'm a lifelong model maker, also a classically trained draftsman and technical illustrator. Wouldn't you know it, I'm now designing my own versions in paper of things I could never find in plastic or resin.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 89.45 MB
I had been a plastic modeler since my childhood in the 60's, now I can't remember exactly how I found paper models around the turn of the century, except to say I was radicalized by the Internet. I found the groups and the freely shared models on various sites. I already had x-acto knives and cutting mats and elmer's glue; I just had to buy some 65 lb cardstock and I was on my way.
Google Adsense
Old 02-02-2021, 08:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 13.53 MB
I had been a modeler since I was about 8 years or so old, all kinds, then a good friend, while stationed in Germany in the mid 1960's, discovered paper modeles and sent a couple to me and brought about a 2" stack home and we split them. (Still have a few!) Paper is all I build now. ��
Old 02-02-2021, 09:24 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
In 2002 I was searching the internet for a model of the American battleship U.S.S. Indiana (BB01).
I had not built a model since I was a teenager, but I thought it would be fun to have one displayed above my desk. I could not find the “Indiana”, but there were several models of her sister ship the U.S.S. Oregon (BB03) available. One of those was on the website “Digital Navy”. They had some beautiful ships there, but they were Card/Paper! At first, I didn’t take it seriously. But the more I looked at them, the more impressed I became. So I gambled, and ordered their model of the V109 German torpedo boat . . . on a trial basis . . . just to get an idea of what paper modeling would be like . . . and whether or not I could do it. It was far more difficult than I had anticipated, but I stuck with it and have been building Card/Paper ships ever since.
Mike
Old 02-02-2021, 07:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Friends:
As a teenager in Texas in the middle 1960's I sent a Dollar or two to John Hathaway for his paper model catalog that I saw an ad for in the back of a popular mechanics magazine. Bought several made them but then found Military Miniatures and painted those for years. Became an archaeologist married late in life then in 2000 had a child, got internet and a computer during the colic time I ended up up with the kid late at night started looking for model railroad stuff ran across Paper modeling again Lot cheaper than Plastic military miniatures and model railroads. Ordered Lou's PMI and joined the Email Forum then moved over to this forum.By the way I still have the early Catalogs wonder if we could get Permission to put them in the Download section as history?
Enjoy the craft,
Miles
Old 02-03-2021, 07:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Miles, when Lou retired back around 2008, he offered to sell PMI to Marji and I, he asked for (I believe) 56-k, Marji declined because she said that it was, "too much like work", I often wonder what may have happened had we taken him up on his offer.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:57 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Back in the mists of time, I was a small small boy in Kenya!

In the centre of Nairobi, there was a large Department Store (of the very old fashioned kind) that had a section with models.

I was around 9 or 10 ten and didn't have much pocket money so bought what I could afford in form of models.

In those days the shop had a big range of Eagle 1/1200 plastic ship kits and with my meager money, I could then afford one or two of these. They were tiny and fiddly but for a small boy very satisfying. I still remember the first Eagle model I built - 5 tiny 3 part submarines on one display stand - so they must have made an impression on me.

Eagle models were made by Eaglewall and for anyone interested here is a link to a book review on the company and models...

http://steelnavy.com/EaglewallBook.htm

One day I went in and was looking through the little boxes when I noticed beside them a set of "postcards". Except on closer inspection, these turned out to be Micromodels (the originals).

One, in particular, caught my eye, the Mammoth Shovel Excavator.

So, I paid up. But it was way beyond my skill levels. So a second and a third kit were purchased - still a disaster. I then realized that these were way beyond my capabilities, but bought another to keep (which I still have ravaged by time and insects)..I then started collecting as many as I could and that ignited a passion with me for Micromodels that I still have today!

Paper modeling was thereafter very spotty - to get a paper model in Africa was a tough task, but Cornflake Manufacturers were generous, and sometimes I was able to beg postcard models!

And I have never remade in my later years the Mammoth Steam Shovel - I really need to!
Attached Thumbnails
How did you get started in paper models?-capture.jpg