PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 12-05-2021, 02:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 48.92 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to Dane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapcho View Post
I never heard of those and now I want a set. :o

Tappi
This is rather specific thing. This set used in shipbuilding drawing when I was a student in late 70th and draws made by hands. If you want to make part of this set for yourself, I could send you a file in .cdr format which my friend used to cut off this curves by CNC mill. My curves had been cut off from organic glass 2 mm thickness.
This is a picture of the original Copenhagen curve set.
Attached Thumbnails
How did you get started in paper models?-h2006-l137754229.jpg   How did you get started in paper models?-copenhagen-ships-curves-02.jpg  
Old 12-05-2021, 02:10 PM

This is my Copenhagen curves set which I made for paper modeling.
Attached Thumbnails
How did you get started in paper models?-copenhagen-ships-curves-022.jpg  
Old 12-05-2021, 02:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane View Post
...I could send you a file in .cdr format...
Dane, that would be greatly appriciated. I have access to CNC and I could easily get those made. I'll PM you my email address.

Tappi
Old 12-05-2021, 02:13 PM

Ok. I will be very glad to help you.
Old 12-05-2021, 07:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
I bought a few architectural models from a hobby shop in Sunnyvale, California in the late 1960s. I built 3 of them and still have them (I showed them at the recent IPMC convention). The terrible picture is of my three “antiques” and they’ve held up pretty well. I drifted away, then got back into it some years ago when I found that the IPMC was near me. I attended and have been going and building ever since. I’ll build almost any subject, but have been concentrating on 1:25 tanks lately. P.S. in the background is my current project, the Italian L6/40 light tank.
Attached Thumbnails
How did you get started in paper models?-ed55c860-060d-4f93-9b9c-c6e598e599f2.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 12-05-2021, 10:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 969.48 MB
My paper modeling history follows a very crooked path through the magical forest of model building. During World War II, the only reasonably priced model aircraft “kits” were paper cut out or cardboard “punch-out”. My Dad would bring one home on special occasions and he and I would build it together (he would do most of the building; especially the cutting). I was good at holding the glue joints together while they dried. The war ended and plastic models appeared in stores. My Dad was a multi-talented individual and one of his talents was painting. He taught me how to paint aircraft insignia and camo using brushes that had been reduced to 2 to 5 hairs. The pictures below show some on my work on 1:72 scale models. Pretty sloppy, compared to my Dad’ precise hand, of which I have no pictures. Needless to say, I decided painting was not my bag and I turned to wood models (I was a builder; not a painter). Then as a Midshipman on a training cruise in 1956, the ship docked in Hamburg and I visited some of my Dad’s cousins. One of them knew that I liked building models and gave me a sealed cardboard tube to take back to my ship. He advised me to not open the tube until I returned home. That didn’t happen! As soon as I got back on board the ship, I opened the tube and found three beautiful, highly detailed, paper ship model kits. During my summer leave, I built them and was hooked! The problem was, I could not find any decent paper model kits in the model shops in the small town of Annapolis, MD or my home town of Tuscaloosa, AL. So, I went back to plastic for aircraft and ships and scratch building card models using 4 view house plan drawings from Good Housekeeping magazine (see the last few photos below). Years later, after buying a home computer setup, I stumbled across the PMI and Fiddlers Green sites. That was the bomb that burst the dam. I never looked back. I have about 75 plastic and resin model kits sitting in a cabinet collecting dust and hoping for one of my grandchildren to lay claim to them.
Attached Thumbnails
How did you get started in paper models?-20180923_191631_001.jpg   How did you get started in paper models?-20180923_191701_001.jpg   How did you get started in paper models?-20180923_191736_001.jpg   How did you get started in paper models?-20160823_161626.jpg   How did you get started in paper models?-20160823_124352.jpg  

Old 12-05-2021, 10:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane View Post
These are Kobenhavn curves set for shipbuilding. Very handy thing!
Thanks for mentioning this. I'd never heard of København (Copenhagen) curves before. Could you explain how you use them for cutting?

I've attached an example of something that I couldn't get to work well with French curves or a bendable curve. This is a common graphical method of constructing a circle and putting it into perspective. It is only approximate. When projecting a circle using the perspective projection, the resulting figure will always be an ellipse. I could never get the curve through the points p7, p23, p16, p4, p17, 18, p5, p19, p20, p6, p21, p22 , p7 in the perspective drawing to look very elliptical.

In figures 1 and 2, the red curve is the path through the points. While 12 points is not many for determining a curve, the result looks pretty good. When you're doing it by hand, plotting 12 points like this can be pretty tedious.

In figures 2 and 3, the violet curve is a circle generated in the normal way, using one of the equations for a circle. Especially when magnified, it shows clearly how approximate this construction is.

The thing that bothers me about French curves is that while obviously the radius of curvature changes continuously, I could never find any information about what the radius is at any given point and according to what rule it changes.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ctemp.pdf (17.2 KB, 8 views)