PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 06-14-2021, 02:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Premium grade paper kits?

There are SO many kits it can be a bit overwhelming for a new modeler. I have built a couple kits with decent results. I have limited time for modeling so I do not mind paying for quality. Are there some brands that are known for top quality? Some possible things I might like are:
- premium card stock
-realistic or great color printing
-Exellent die cutting or laser cutting
- great design quality
-extra detail parts or upgrades

I don't want to rule out kits that are not pre cut, just looking for some kits that may offer something special.
Any input would be welcome!
Google Adsense
Old 06-14-2021, 04:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
Hello Hunterdude from Michigan. Welcome to the forum. You ask an excellent question!

To give you some advice, it would be good to hear a bit more about what your own interests in subject matter are. For example, lighthouses might go in one direction, submarines in another, and 19C locomotives in another... The friendly folks on this site have tons of ideas about specific models and specific publishers. There are longstanding publishers in Germany, more recent ones in Poland, Czeckoslovakia and the Ukraine, and some really extraordinary models published in Japan. And one of the delights of this hobby is that there are also many designers who work without a big publishing overhead - designing terrific models that one can download and printout. If you have not found it yet, check out the site ecardmodels.com, where you can find a large array of choices.

My personal favorite is hard to choose. I have an interest in pre-WW2 non-military aircraft, and am particularly fond of the works of "Contour Creative Studio" from New Zealand - available on ecardmodels. Clever designs with excellent instructions.
Old 06-14-2021, 04:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
hello papermodelfan, I suppose I have unusual taste in paper models, I like paper models that are not just for static display! Some examples are Astromedia has several kits of paper engines that run and also a little Night Light kit, and several other kits....now these are not "pure" paper but have some wire or aluminum foil or other bits in the construction.
next I have 3 paper models in my kit stash of stationary steam engines that can run on a balloon filled with air or more better yet, an aquarium pump air supply.
i have also built a small model cardstock jet that actually flys or more correctly glides pretty well for what it is.

I am currently on the hunt for a rather "salty" looking "harbour tug boat, the one I have found so far that is "close" to the look I was going for is:

Schreiber-Bogen Card Modelling Harbour Tug "Bulldog" this is not a super detailed model but kind of nice, the maker has video of waterproofing the boat models with varnish and actually floating them! I am not sure this is all that practical but just having the option to take the model off the mantle and floating it does have some appeal to me. I would be interested in other Harbour tug boat models as well.

these are some thoughts of where I am at right now, (pretty new to paper models) I am sure my tastes will evolve as I build!
Old 06-14-2021, 04:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterdude View Post
There are SO many kits it can be a bit overwhelming for a new modeler. I have built a couple kits with decent results. I have limited time for modeling so I do not mind paying for quality. Are there some brands that are known for top quality? Some possible things I might like are:
- premium card stock
-realistic or great color printing
-Exellent die cutting or laser cutting
- great design quality
-extra detail parts or upgrades

I don't want to rule out kits that are not pre cut, just looking for some kits that may offer something special.
Any input would be welcome!
depend what you build, i build ships and my two favourite producers are JSC in poland or HMV in germany, their range of laser parts for their models are excellent and JSC are also venturing into resin parts and they have a good range of railings ladders etc
also
Old 06-14-2021, 06:18 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
For aircraft, Halinski and GPM are reliable for kits published after about 2005, when computer-aided design became the norm. Maly Modelarz have also gotten much better over the years, again after the mid-2000s. If you're looking at specific kits, ask here for reviews or impressions. Whatever it is, there is probably someone on this forum who has built it.

What kinds of subjects are you most interested in?
Google Adsense