PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 07-04-2021, 09:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
First attempt at Layering

This is my 3rd simple cut/score/fold paper model, but my first try at Layering. It was a lot harder to do a neat job of cutting out the windows than I thought! There where tiny 1mm square glass but in the end I just left the cross sticks in and gave up on the tiny glazing. It does not show up well in my photos as the camera seems to focus on the windows being lighted by my model steam engine but I set the clock in 1 layer and the vents out 1 layer in the clock tower. Also the door is set in and the door frame is set out giving a bit more depth but I did not get a good photo of that as well.
What cutting tool could be used to neatly cut 1mm square window panes?
The masonry around the windows now sticks out one layer, and I do not know if that was the best plan. I will try to get better photos in the daytime. The door work is mostly hidden in the shadows of awning from the view pictured.
Any other advice to improve would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
First attempt at Layering-20210704_211117-1-.jpg   First attempt at Layering-20210704_211144.jpg   First attempt at Layering-20210704_211055-1-.jpg  

Last edited by Hunterdude; 07-04-2021 at 09:26 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 07-04-2021, 09:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterdude View Post
What cutting tool could be used to neatly cut 1mm square window panes?
Square metal tube of small diameter is available in hobby supplies here in the US, but not in metric sizes.
Thing maybe to do would be to acquire a piece made of brass or another reasonably hard metal & file a cutting edge on one end in order to make a punch.

Alternatively, and I know of none that small, there are L shaped corner punches available -- perhaps your own could be ground and filed from tool steel?

Far too large but it illustrates the corner punch concept, 5/16 Inch Corner Punch