PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 12-10-2021, 09:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 6.97 MB
Eastern European kits

All of my paper model builds have been printed on an inkjet printer which offers some advantages. I have also have several of the old FG postcard models (unbuilt) which I suppose were produced on a offset press. Without a doubt, the offset press product is vastly superior in terms of print quality.

I have long wondered about the kits produced in Eastern Europe. I've had the impression these kits are a bit hard to find. Postage is a bit expensive, and there is a bit of a wait as the kit makes it from Eastern Europe to west Texas (in my case). But I also have the impression that these kits are produced on presses and have that superior quality that makes the expense and the wait worthwhile.

But I have never held in my hands an Eastern Europe produced kit. Are these kits as impressive as I suppose in terms of print quality? Do kit parts that should have a metallic sheen, for example, have that look (which cannot be produced on an inkjet printer)?
Google Adsense
Old 12-10-2021, 09:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Depends on the publisher and the subject. Most of what I build is published. Certain publishers add realistic textures and other don't, leaving that to the builder.

Also, if you want to try your hand at a few, go to the "rjm estate" sale and browse the lists. These are all located in US and I'm trying to liquidate them for the son of RJM who was a forum member here.

RJM Paper Model Estate Sale

Greg

Last edited by modelperry; 12-10-2021 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-10-2021, 03:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
I agree with Greg (Modelperry). The following is my personal opinion; others will disagrre to some extent.

The more recently a model has been published, the better it is likely to be. Polish publishers are generally among the best. The following are all Polish publishers (I think).

Halinski is the “gold standard,” best of the best (but usually for experienced modellers only, as they are challenging). Modelik and GPM are usually excellent. I’m favorably impressed with the Supermodel I’m working on at the moment. Orlik and WAK are also excellent.

Older Maly Modelarz are usually pretty bad. I’m told the newer ones are much better, but I haven’t built any.

The RJM estate has a great selection and the prices are reasonable, so I’d recommend buying one or a few to dip your toe in the water.

Just my 2 zloty (Polish currency)!
Old 12-10-2021, 06:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
Here are three pictures to illustrate the improvement in quality over the years. All three are from the same publisher, GPM. The first is from catalog Number 62, a Marder III (no date given) Hand drawn, garish colors, no attempt at shading or weathering. Second is a Sd.Kfz. 232, catalog number 099, from 1997. I think it’s still hand drawn, but the rust stains and weathering are really good for this vintage. Last is catalog number 248, the Sd.Kfz. 166 “Brummbar” from 2006. Computer drawn with excellent weathering and shading — this kit even contains a textured sheet for the Zimmerit panels. I don’t have anything much more recent in my stash that I could lay hands on quickly, but this should give you some idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Eastern European kits-d2eab3b2-01dd-471e-be32-6a4d322c0d72.jpg   Eastern European kits-2fcb8f95-197e-415a-85d4-ef71b40510f0.jpg   Eastern European kits-005dc99f-59a9-460e-baa2-52eeca6cd0ff.jpg  
Old 12-11-2021, 08:55 AM

Before long I will have in my hands a good selection of Eastern European published kits provided by Greg. I'm really looking forward to getting a look at them and perhaps starting a build.
Google Adsense
Old 12-11-2021, 11:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Posted package this morning, is supposed to be there by Wednesday.

I built the Halinski and Angraf models and I think both have build threads on here in case you would like some guidance.

The Angraf model is short a few printed parts (seems a common problem with Angraf models). Look for my thread on it to see which parts need scanned/copied so you have enough.

Greg
Old 12-11-2021, 11:44 AM

OKAY!! Thanks, Greg!
Old 12-11-2021, 01:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Eastern EU kits have been done for so many years by so many makers your head will hurt.
It would be really hard to point out the best kits since everyone is looking for something different.
For my taste great many of kits made in last 10 years are over designed sometimes to the point of absurdity. Recent Maly Modelarz is a good example of it. I honestly doubt there is a dozen model makers in Poland alone who can make those models as intended.

Take it with a grain of salt
Old 12-11-2021, 04:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
define eastern european . the majority of models are from poland,great quality, great service and even postage is not to bad too new zealand, can happily recomend JSC for ships if you like waterline. Halinksi and GPM are good also
Old 12-11-2021, 04:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amccombs3 View Post
I agree with Greg (Modelperry). The following is my personal opinion; others will disagrre to some extent.

The more recently a model has been published, the better it is likely to be. Polish publishers are generally among the best. The following are all Polish publishers (I think).

Halinski is the “gold standard,” best of the best (but usually for experienced modellers only, as they are challenging). Modelik and GPM are usually excellent. I’m favorably impressed with the Supermodel I’m working on at the moment. Orlik and WAK are also excellent.

Older Maly Modelarz are usually pretty bad. I’m told the newer ones are much better, but I haven’t built any.

The RJM estate has a great selection and the prices are reasonable, so I’d recommend buying one or a few to dip your toe in the water.

Just my 2 zloty (Polish currency)!
JSC are gradually redesigning and reprinting many of their only hand drawn models as well as desigining new ones.am a great fan their ship models most of which are waterline versions.As you say the old maly ones are bad but the newer ones are good,i have built from all those designers you mention as well as from MDK which was old east german company
Google Adsense