PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 04-20-2022, 09:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 117.37 MB
Looking for general tips on working with wire

Hello!

I've been working on a 1:100 scale tugboat Pieter. It's gone pretty well, though I'm at the point in the model where I've done most of the paper elements, and the rest uses wire. The main mast is the main one, but there are a few other structures made entirely from wire.

I got some jewelry wire in the right sizes, but I haven't really figured out how to actually use it. I know how to straighten it pretty easily, but none of my paints stick to it, and the only glue I have that seems to work is a really thick super glue that's a huge pain to use for small details. It's also not appropriate for adhering paper parts to the wire.

So I'm here looking for some tips Maybe other materials would work better; I'm pretty open to advice. I have some more detailed models in the list to do, and would like to use this Pieter model to practice these skills.

Thanks!

Daz
Google Adsense
Old 04-20-2022, 09:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
If the paint won't stick to the wire try roughing it up with some fine sandpaper. That gives the smooth surface a "tooth" for the paint to stick too. Tack it off after sanding to remove any dust from the sanding.

I have used a glue called Crafter's Pick The Ultimate! to adhere wire and glass to paper. It worked good for me.
Old 04-20-2022, 07:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.74 GB
What is this thing called wire? I only know of paper (I kid).
Old 04-21-2022, 04:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.92 MB
I use Gorilla glue liquid and gel. They will get the job done.

One thing I recommend to do when gluing wire to a structure is to have the wire insert into something. You can roll up printer paper and make a sleeve for the wires. You can punch a small hole into the paper or something. Doing that will make it so that the glue is bonding to the wire where it is not visible in case of crazing. It also increases strength. I strongly recommend doing that to keep things clean and tidy.
Old 04-21-2022, 06:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
There are superglue hardener's available in a variety of formulations too that might be worth experimenting. They reduce the set time of superglue down to 7-10 seconds. I have found that its best to use a loop of thin wire as an applicator to pin-point the hardener on the spot of the weld first. Then I apply glue to the part I'm attaching and hold it into the hardener.

I've also heard of a glue that hardens under UV light, but I haven't found the right search terminology for that.
Google Adsense
Old 04-21-2022, 09:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 93.28 MB
Maybe the plastic railings or sticks could make a substitute too, however they are fragile and this is the serious weakness.
Old 04-21-2022, 05:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Scotch Bright pad you likely have in your kitchen is great for cleaning the wires prior to gluing and painting. They come in grades from course to very fine. Find one you like.

For wire I suggest .35 or .45 MIG welding wire. It's mild steel,coated with copper. It's very soft and pliable but a bit springly. It also comes in thinner rolls .25 but those can be harder to find. Talk to a welder or someone in welding shop. I always have some of this wire hanging about.
Old 04-21-2022, 10:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 117.37 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viator View Post
Maybe the plastic railings or sticks could make a substitute too, however they are fragile and this is the serious weakness.
Yeah, I haven't started railings yet. One of my goal models is a large ship though, so I'll need to figure it out

To everyone else, thank you SO MUCH for all of the suggestions! I found some copper wire in my garage with the right diameter, scuffed it, and the primer coat went on just fine, so I think painting will be straightforward. Next step is to glue the paper components to it, but that's not super urgent as I still have to actually build those components :D
Old 04-22-2022, 07:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butelczynski View Post
Scotch Bright pad you likely have in your kitchen is great for cleaning the wires prior to gluing and painting. They come in grades from course to very fine. Find one you like.

For wire I suggest .35 or .45 MIG welding wire. It's mild steel,coated with copper. It's very soft and pliable but a bit springly. It also comes in thinner rolls .25 but those can be harder to find. Talk to a welder or someone in welding shop. I always have some of this wire hanging about.
Correct about the mig wire- However the sizes are .023 -.025 different manufacturers make different size range for this size. the correct sizes are:
0.030, 0.035. 0.045 and in aluminum there is 3/64 size. You can get welding wire for wire feed welders in all kinds of different wire, stainless, mild steel, aluminum are just three.

Not mention are 3' long TIG wire. Larger size diameter, but for scale effect they might work where needed. Most stores sell the TIG in 1lb tubes.

The mig wire can be bought in different size spools, 1lb for aluminum, 2lb for solid wire mild steel, 11lb spool of mild steel.

Miller (Welder manufacturer) sells a wire straighten tool for hundreds of dollars. You can find simple wire straightening tool on line that has plastic triangle shape. This will work on malleable wire, but the mig wire will not straighten, it is to stiff, it will ruin the plastic guides.

Wondering what tool I'm talking about, thought everybody had one: Beadalon look for: wire straightener tool :::: Wait till you see the other tools and what they do.

Have you tried a primer before the paint? I cleaned my wire with rubbing alcohol to paint it. Worked better than just trying to paint.

Mike
Old 04-23-2022, 08:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
It always helps when using copper wire to anneal it. Heat to red heat and plunge into water. Most of the oxide will come off during annealing and the rest is easy to remove with a Scotchbrite pot scrubber. Annealed wire can be straightened by using a steel ruler and rolling the wire on your cutting mat.

A lot of craft wire like beading wire has a plastic coating which is nearly impossible to paint or glue.

If you need a little more stiffness than copper wire offers you can use florist's wire - this is a soft iron wire (sometimes coated). It does need painting or varnishing since being Iron, it rusts.

Regards,

Charlie
Google Adsense