PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 12-15-2022, 12:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Choosing scale for sailing ship model

Hello,

A simple scale simulator. I want to stick to one scale for all my models, so I'm trying to figure out how small I can make the Santa Maria without falling into jewelry work, considering that one day I'll want to find table space for the barque Padua.

I'm wondering what scales you fellow modelers are comfortable with and prefer to build from scratch? I would be very interested to hear your opinions and decide on a compromise between the available room space and the detailing capabilities of the model.
Attached Thumbnails
Choosing scale for sailing ship model-scale-simulation.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 12-16-2022, 03:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 136.69 MB
I have a similar dillemma with aircraft. I want to build everything at the same scale but 1:72 bombers and definitiely large airliners (which have few surface details anyway) would be beyond display space requirements. I've made some buildings in 1:148 and got scratchbuilt furniture inside, so that is within the limits of fine detail.

Perhaps a starting consideration is whether you wish to include figures, and whether you would be prepared to use any plastic/3D printed parts for things that are just impractical in paper.
Old 12-16-2022, 08:30 AM

Thank you, Siwi,

I want to use paper as much as possible and without figures, but also model not very simplified. I was going around my scale prints yesterday and was thinking the size limitation could be decided on rigging and block sizes. From this point of view I also think 1:150(144) could be minimum scale fitting barque close to 75 cm length.
Old 12-16-2022, 12:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
There was a time... I used to love the detail designers could achieve in 1/25 scale satellite models. Graphics and photo-realistic textures were right in that sweet spot. But, I'm just not good enough a scratch builder to covert 48th to 25th scales. Not for lack of effort, but I would spend twice a long designing as building, so I eventually accepted that some crafter were going to have to have an asterisk.

Now, I do have a shelf of 144th scale for planes and vehicles (that I build in resign and plastic) and so I've found that rockets that are typically designed in 96th scale can be reduced. My trick there is changing paper weight depending on the build (tube diameter).

Again, just sharing my thoughts since you asked. There is a lot of personal preference in the answers.
Old 12-16-2022, 11:01 PM

Thank you sreinmann,

I agree on a few larger more detailed models but scaled down for the collection shelf. Good point about downscaling. I am currently building some 1:100 scale paper model kits and I feel they are too big for me. Of course, it all comes down to personal preference and I appreciate the exchange of ideas.
Google Adsense
Old 12-30-2022, 03:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.63 GB
Please take a look at the books by Philip Reed, Lloyd McCaffey, and Donald McNarry, which describe building miniature sailing ship models.
The above author’s books contain techniques for sailing ship micro modelling and will help you decide how small you feel comfortable going with your own ship models. You know you are going small scale when poppy seeds are used to represent canon balls.
You can find pictures and descriptions of McCaffey’s and McNarry’s models and can purchase them here:
American Marine Model Gallery - Fine Art and Custom Ship Models
as well as on other internet sites.

For sailing ships, below 1/125 scale the rigging starts getting tricky and requires special techniques.
Old 12-30-2022, 07:49 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Vaidas,
Your scale simulator is a good way to look at the question. I looked around the site and it seems most of the sailing vessels are being built between 1:50 and 1:100 scale. I noticed 1:96 seems to be popular. But you seem to be interested in building them smaller than that. I build late 19th century battleships at 1:250 scale. I have remained consistent with that size so all of my ships are comparable. From time to time I have given some thought to attempting a sailing vessel at 1:250 scale. That might be too small. So I will watch with interest at what scale you decide to go with. I hope you show us your work.
Mike
Old 01-03-2023, 11:14 AM

Hello John Wagenseil,

Thank you very much for your tips and recommendation for books. i love learning and already have few books on my table. I will lookm at AMM gallery also.
Old 01-03-2023, 11:17 AM

Hello Michael Mash,

Yes, I also found 1:100 is very popular. At the moment I am building few 1:100 kits and one smaller of 1:200 scale. I think 1:200 hull is already too small for me so my target could be 1:150 but I will see better when i will start with rigging of kits.
Old 01-04-2023, 03:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
Most wood ship models are built with what I call the imperial scale as in 1/4in per foot (1/48), 3/16 in per foot (1/64), 1/8 in per foot (1/96). you will find that the ships plan drawings will be using this scale. So if your looking for fittings, cannon,tree pumps to detail your model you should consider this scale system. yes you can fudge on the scale if its close to what scale you are building in.

As for how small you can build a paper model age of sail ship I would say 1/96 or 1/100. Any smaller and you will have issues with making the small parts.

Shipyard paper models has the Santa Maria with the Nina in 1/96 scale. The web site shows it out of stock. Google "Shipyard Santa Maria card model" and you will find several sources for the models. Shipyard also supplies the model in 1;72 as a laser cut kit. Take a look at the Seahorse web site most of the models are in 1/100. IMHO they are the best paper sailing ships available. The full kits with the laser cut parts. 3D printed cannon and wood spars and masts are very reasonable. Note the Seahorse web site is closed until the 13th of January.

Jim Nunn