PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 11-12-2009, 08:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Gomix Fly Model F-111E Aardvark

Okay, so call me crazy for picking such a challenging kit for my first model. With the surge in popularity of cardmodeling lately I just had to give my favorite aircraft a try.

I'm sort of a beginner and sort of not one. I built a 1/48 scale Delta Airlines Boeing 727 kit that was offered through their Sky Mall onboard magazine back in 1989. Therefore, I'm not totally unfamiliar with the skills needed to build these models.

I took the liberty of downloading from cardmodelers.org the english translation for the kit and a Polish - English terms translation list. Very helpful!

First snag I hit was the nose wheel well forward wall, Part 4a. Not illustrated anywhere in the kit! Had to wing it and make one out of card stock and cut/file to fuselage lower contour.

I googled the bird/kit and found a thread on a German cardmodeling site, www.kartonbau.de. Here's a link to the thread:

Kartonbau.de - Alles rund um's Kartonmodell... | Bauberichte | F-111E "AARDVARK" von FLY #106

Other than the thread abruptly cuts off in 2004, the guy is quite good. He installs the nose gear strut in the well as the instructions require. Funny thing is I can't find anything in the kit corresponding to the three main structural parts of the strut! All of the attaching parts are there; just not the main ones.

Am I missing something here? Should I assume that main landing gear structure is something that has to be scratchbuilt with these models? Am I missing pages or just missing the parts on the pages because they don't look like I'm expecting them to?

I've scanned also for the part numbers and haven't come up with anything there either. I have noticed that several parts are mis-identified which I was able to correct. I'm really wondering whether or not I'm missing pages.

I remain

Rick Shivik
Conyers, GA, USA

Last edited by USA Supersonic; 11-12-2009 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Mis-spelled word
Google Adsense
Old 11-12-2009, 09:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.54 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA Supersonic View Post
Other than the thread abruptly cuts off in 2004
That's a current thread - the last post was on November 7.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:34 AM

Ooops! Sorry about that. I was apparently looking at registration date and didn't see the post date in the lower left corner of the posts. :o Still can't find parts 40, 40a and 40g, though.

Rick
Old 10-14-2011, 09:26 PM

Here's an update not only on the F-111E, but on the F-111A I'm working on and my first attempt at design and beta build - - - a Boeing 2707-200 SuperSonic Transport (I mean, what else, right?)

Rick Shivik
Attached Thumbnails
Gomix Fly Model F-111E Aardvark-paper-models-1.jpg   Gomix Fly Model F-111E Aardvark-paper-models-2.jpg   Gomix Fly Model F-111E Aardvark-paper-models-3.jpg