PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 12-12-2009, 05:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
GPM reprints esp. Panther 040

I think this question hasn't been dealt with elsewhere so here goes...
GPM reprints - any good? - what has changed? Is GPM a good producer? (reading about the Angraf Famo has made me cautious - at my level a kit which cannot be built as supplied would probably fry my brain..)

I have been looking for a step towards a larger scale AFV & at present I am stuck in the WW2 Deutsche waffen-fabrik cliche. (tho I want try a T34 as well before attempting any Allied stuff...)

I started looking at GPMs site & noticed a few deals on packs with laser cut tracks etc.
Then I noticed the reprint of the Panther PANTHER G GPM-0040 reasonably priced & 'moderately difficult' ) ie devastatingly hard as opposed to insane :p)

Anyone made this? Anyone able to critically compare the reprint with the original?
Google Adsense
Old 12-12-2009, 07:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
I haven't seen the GPM 040 - but a model that old is going to be hand drawn and probably fairly simplified. It would probably be a hard slog to get the model to go together well. If you really want to build a WW2 Wehrmacht tank which isn't too difficult why not try Modelik's Panzer IV Ausf G - that's a more modern kit and seems to go together pretty well.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 12-12-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieC View Post
I haven't seen the GPM 040 - but a model that old is going to be hand drawn and probably fairly simplified. It would probably be a hard slog to get the model to go together well. If you really want to build a WW2 Wehrmacht tank which isn't too difficult why not try Modelik's Panzer IV Ausf G - that's a more modern kit and seems to go together pretty well.

Regards,

Charlie
Thanks Charlie,
I had hoped that a reprint/re-issue would mean an update but I have no specifics for reference.

Hmm looks quite good am gonna read the English instructions & see how it builds.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
No, they are usually just reprints. I agree with Medved.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royaloakmin View Post
No, they are usually just reprints. I agree with Medved.
Thanks for the response.

Seems kinda strange that a company wouldn't take the time to address possible failings &/or upgrade a popular model when so much base development has already been done.
Isn't that quicker than a 100% new design?
And even just a repaint would attract my interest if low re-development cost was reflected in the price....
Google Adsense
Old 12-14-2009, 12:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Try this site for building threads on various AFV:

Kartonbau.de - Alles rund um's Kartonmodell... | Startseite

As stated by others it might be worth trying Modelik for 'simple' kits. Their updated website has a lot more info of the kits they offer.

I get my models from this chap: UK PAPER MODELS The prices are good and delivery excellent.

Tim
Old 12-14-2009, 06:11 PM

If you had to address the small issues of a hand drawn kit then it would be better to just move up to a digital version where the kit has been designed by a 3D program.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:48 AM

Looks like the consensus is pro-Modelik & anti hand-drawn.
(Should I assume that GPM is like Halinski Answer & Angraf etc - 'harder' & more detailed?)
I need a sliding scale of complexity relative to company I think.

@Tim Crowe - Thanks for the links to supplier & forums.

I was disappointed to find the Modelik links to English instructions all gave me 404's so I will use some of the pointers above for further research.
I am worried that I will spoil a perfectly good model with inexperience so I want to make as advised a choice as possible.

I am somewhat curious about hand vs machine drawn models - given a lot of the greatest architecture & technology was draughted by hand, surely a model has a chance of accuracy? (Print quality is a different thing entirely & I would expect a modern press to create a higher % of exactitude & colour range.)
Old 12-15-2009, 09:12 AM

Not sure I would put Halinski in with Answer, Angraf or GPM. Some of GPM's models are very detailed and difficult (many of the new issues are that way - detailed interiors - check out their Stug 40 Ausf. F "Ostketten"

GPM - modele kartonowe

I have this one and am a bit intimidated by it). I have several of their earlier kits that were hand drawn - a 7 TP halfway built that is on hold (nothing to do with the kit itself, I just have a bad habit of moving on to something new before finishing what I'm working on:o) I have had fit issues with Answer tanks (Su-85 in particular). Modelik has some great models with high levels of detail (currently building the M2 Bradley and loving it).
Old 12-15-2009, 09:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Am I the only person that doesn't bother translating instructions?

Tim
Google Adsense