PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 04-03-2010, 06:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
As stated before it is mainly the thought of turning a flat 2D sheet of paper into a great looking 3D model. Plus if you mess up all you have to do is print a replacement part.

Another benefit of paper models is that if you come across something that you would like a model of, for example a B-32 Dominator, most of the time you can put in a request for it and one or more of the friendly and helpful designers that frequent paper model forum sites will have one cranked out in a few days and will offer it for free or for a very modest price. That is not a likely scenario with plastic.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:21 AM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
What first attracted me to paper models? I'm not that good at painting and have never owned an airbrush. Paper allows me to get extremely realistic looking skins without having to paint them myself.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:40 PM

Myself I enjoy the use of just paper itself. And I make other craft things with paper like cards, etc. So to make some thing 3D and a replica of a real building or machine or item from "flat" paper it is interesting to me.

I build some Micromodels (that is the name of the company) and they instruct you to make various parts from shaved matches, wire, thread stiff with glue, etc. So I follow those recommendations and have no issue to use those dissimilar materials, since that is what is requested. On the other hand, I see no use to make parts out of plastic rod very much as it is not really "making" it then.

I see when I look at stores that sell paper models, there is non-paper parts to be purchase if you desire. They now make wood wheels for the military tanks, metal cannons for the battle ship models, etch metal railings for the ships, plastic canopy covers for the 1/33 airplane cockpits, etc. So it is not all paper if you look close.

I can make the models from paper using some more basic tools... scissors, knife and ruler. And with minimal or no paint. But when I make the plastic models, I need file, sand paper, more glues, paints, etc. And it is a different kind of making process. You do not "make" the parts but rather you combine the parts to make the finish model. With paper there is more work to make each part before each part is combined.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
I also don't see an issue using a bit of mixed media here and there when building a paper model weather it be a bit of wire, some wood dowels, or even some (dare I say it...) bits of plastic. Many times the instructions will actually call for some other media to be used. For example, many kits include 1:1 templates for forming wire parts to be used in the build.

As far as the final finish of the model, most modelers just build from the printed sheets as they are form the publisher or designer. (That's what I love about this hobby) If they wish to repaint them, it's often done digitally, using some sort of electronic paint program. However, there are some modelers who prefer to finished their models by hand painting and applying weathering techniques over top of any pre-printed graphics. These examples are often jaw dropping gorgeous and personally I think blow away anything made from plastic.

So like everyone else here said. Print out a simple kit....Make up the rules as you go along...and HAVE FUN. I think you will find paper modeling much more satisfying than you can imagine. Plus you can never get enough "...It's made out of what? ..It can't be paper"
Old 04-03-2010, 04:09 PM

Cool

Ok then, her's a question to perplex, how can I get a simple line model plan, no colour, transfered onto a metal sheet. After finishing off Ninjatoes Link & Epona, I cut the sword from the metal of a pie dish, and was very pleased with the results. I now want to use this material on mos95's Apollo CSM.
Google Adsense
Old 04-03-2010, 04:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.98 MB
Cliftonra, sorry to hear competitive silliness has got you down. :( I don't think I can add anything to all the previous posts except this; Come on over, build a couple models with us, and you'll find we're a REALLY friendly and supportive crowd. Build your first paper model, warts and all,use any other scrap you see laying around the house to build it, post a pic of it (warts and all) and be amazed by the responses. (please post pics, we really like the pics!)
Old 04-03-2010, 04:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by KieferRhys View Post
Ok then, her's a question to perplex, how can I get a simple line model plan, no colour, transfered onto a metal sheet. After finishing off Ninjatoes Link & Epona, I cut the sword from the metal of a pie dish, and was very pleased with the results. I now want to use this material on mos95's Apollo CSM.
Print the model on regular paper (not card stock) then use rubber cement to attach it to your pie tin or other metallic foil, cut out the parts as required then peel the paper off of the part - it should be easy to remove. You will need to use CA glue (super glue) to attach the metal parts together.

Good luck...this sounds like an interesting project.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:52 PM

Talking

Thank you Mr Stephens, the advice is very welcome.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliftonra View Post
So what do YOU think about armour modelling in plastic? - pray tell
I answer by showing this: YouTube - Look! It's PAPER - paper model of KrAZ 255B

You loose nothing by shifting to paper, but you gain a lot - you may find the modeler in you again. I second your idea that the 'arms race' in super detailing and adding accessories have reached ridiculous points. I have a big collection of unbuilt plastic models with all possible superdetailing parts you can imagine and I escaped from that world back to paper - for the time beeing or for good, that remains to be seen. If I don't build them I hope the collection works as a pension fund for me. ;-)
Old 04-04-2010, 06:33 AM

I print some line drawings on Testors Clear Decal Film then apply the decal to thin sheet metal to cut out. I make some craft things with tin and brass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStephens View Post
Print the model on regular paper (not card stock) then use rubber cement to attach it to your pie tin or other metallic foil, cut out the parts as required then peel the paper off of the part - it should be easy to remove. You will need to use CA glue (super glue) to attach the metal parts together.

Good luck...this sounds like an interesting project.
Google Adsense