PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 04-16-2010, 02:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Cutting Remarks-

Okay, this is gonna sound pretty dumb but,... when I print out some of these beauties, exactly where do I cut? Do I cut down the middle of the outlines or just inside to avoid the heavy black lines,... what? Are the models designed to avoid as much 'line' as possible? If so, my guess is to cut just inside, but I don't want to come up short either.

:o
Old 04-16-2010, 02:24 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
well, there are designers who design their models using one of the 3 methods you ask about.

for starters, cut outside the line, in the white of the paper.

You can remove the excess easily, you can't add to it once cut

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 04-16-2010, 03:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Hi Cliftonra,

Welcome to the site!!!

Great question about the use of paper only.

I design big flying models. Some are RC controlled. To do this took much research; internet searches and actual testing of cardstock to name a couple.

1) The main reason for the use of cardstock is the challenge to get it to do what balsa wood and fiberglass does. Sure it weighs more but, it has advantages.

2) The second reason is can't print out a balsa spar or carbon fiber fuselage.

3) The use of carbon fiber and balsa spars would be easy, but costly. If the design changes the spar changes. Lot easier to change them in paper than expensive carbon. Waiting for the mail to get here is not part of my design schedule.

4) Living at least 165 miles from nearest hobby shop, means learn to print all parts or else...

5) Balsa and fiberglass can't survive the kind of crashes cardstock will. I posted a want ad yesterday in the aviation forum for RC PILOT BETA BUILDER. It has a couple of photos showing a 5g load for my F16, and a SR71 nosediving into the ground-photo was taken at moment of impact, the next photo shows the same model flying agian at a bout 20ft AGL.

All this was done using cardstock.

Several years of practice to figure some of these design issues out. You'd be surprised at what hour it is sometimes that you wake up with an answer...

Best regards,
Mike
Old 04-16-2010, 05:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Regarding painting paper models, see (just as an example) Getter 1's fascinating thread on this topic: Paint and detail your paper models :D

As Greg Perry mentioned earlier, many IPMS chapters are very welcoming to paper modelers. Greg has won many IPMS awards and I enjoyed the heck out of overhearing a couple of plastic modelers arguing over whether one of Greg's beautiful paper armor models was built from a Tamiya or an Italeri kit.

And, while this Forum is intended to focus on paper models, many of the participants are happy to also share plastic and other models from time to time.

Don