PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 04-02-2010, 02:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
A very general question about paper modelling

Okay, to start off, please understand that I am COMPLETELY new to this. I have wandered about the site and seen some amazing work using some incredible techniques. My experience is as a plastic modeler so watching you guys build these models out of paper in many ways just blows me away.

My question is a very basic one; What stops people from utilizing other media to get the same effect? As I watch people create a round cylinder out of paper I ask myself "why not just use a piece of styreme tubing?" Is it a matter of staying within the paper media as a personal challenge? If there some kind of "governing body" (ala IPMS) that regulates what materials can be used?

Also, is it against all of the rules to completely repaint a paper model? If I were to create a paper model using different materials and colors would it be frowned upon by the "old timers?" Would the "World Paper Modelers Society" disqualify me out of hand? ;-)

I know that the stock answer will be "do what you want and enjoy it." But I would love to hear why the overwhelming number of models built on this site seem to emphasize (and almost take special pride in) the use of paper only. Is THAT one of the challenges of paper modeling? There is a psychology to each of the various modeling disciplines (wood, plastic, metal, etc) I really want to hear about the guys who solely work in paper.

Please, I hope no one takes what I have written as some kind of insult to the hobby. I am genuinely curious and love to hear what people have to say about their own areas of this amazing hobby we call modeling (believe me, if you ask ME what I think about armor modeling in plastic you will get an earfull)! Thank you in advance for your responses.
Google Adsense
Old 04-02-2010, 02:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Interesting question.

For me it is a firstly challenge is make a 3d object out of a 2d piece of paper.

Secondly is cost. Bang for bucks paper beats plastic.

So what do YOU think about armour modelling in plastic? - pray tell

Tim
Old 04-02-2010, 03:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 51.85 MB
Send a message via AIM to ThunderChild Send a message via Skype™ to ThunderChild
Well, it is a papermodel forum... There are a few purists that stick to paper only, but I think the majority of people here don't mind a little mixed media. I found this hobby to be very lenient and forgiving towards mixing some other stuff into the paper. There are no strict set rules of law. Just have a look at some of the nice plastic canopies incorporated into many of the aircraft. Like you said, as long as you enjoy it...
Old 04-02-2010, 03:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Very good topic opening and I'd like to hear the answers myself too. I don't think there's a 'paper modeler' per se but most of us do have some relation to other medias aswell. Mixed media is allowed nobody I konow opposes it and colouring your models do fine. The motives doing this might vary a lot: it's cheaper, you get some scale effect easier, offer you a new material challenge, works as a relief in the midst of your 'serious' plastic modeling, offers nice ways to pimp the models (digital re-paint, additional detailing), gives pretty much everybody a chance of designing ones own model (sofware available from Autocad vie Pepacura to Powerpoint) and so on...
I got hoked on paper modeling permanently when I visited National Maritime Museum in Greenwich London and realized that most of the modelers whos models were presented there (especially WW2 warship modelers) used paper in some form in their creations. Paper is lovely and very allowing media to do almost anything one wishes like this: Eric Joisel ORIGAMI
Old 04-02-2010, 03:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
There are absolutely no rules about what to use, or how to build scale models.
in fact, if you visit a scale modelers website, you will find the builders use anything and everything to achieve the necessary look and effects.

But like any hobby, there are bound to be purists.
Those who make it a personal interest and goal to build those models using more stricter guidelines or self imposed rules.
And in this case, "paper modelers" or "card modelers" attempt (and succeed quite often) in building scale models of various things using only paper and paper products.
Just a personal challenge I guess.

You could ask the same question about building very small scale models,
why not build them larger so they are easier in some ways?
The answer is very simple...its just a personal choice to attempt them at smaller scales.
Google Adsense
Old 04-02-2010, 03:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
"My question is a very basic one; What stops people from utilizing other media to get the same effect? As I watch people create a round cylinder out of paper I ask myself "why not just use a piece of styreme tubing?" Is it a matter of staying within the paper media as a personal challenge? If there some kind of "governing body" (ala IPMS) that regulates what materials can be used?"

People do use other media where and when appropriate and cost effective. Somehow, getting many, many cylindrical parts from a 10-cent sheet of paper vs two or three parts from a 20-cent piece of styrene tubing (always assuming that you can find such material in correct diameter, taper, etc.....or find a brick-and-morter store that even carries it) makes great economic sense. We paper modelers don't regulate materials that are used....my experience is that I've mainly encountered that kind of stuff in the plastic community. That said, most of us won't think twice about using wood, wire, plastic, metal, resin, etc. if it works better, is not prohibitively expensive, and happens to be near the work bench.

"Also, is it against all of the rules to completely repaint a paper model? If I were to create a paper model using different materials and colors would it be frowned upon by the "old timers?" Would the "World Paper Modelers Society" disqualify me out of hand? ;-)"

What rules? We paper modelers are still a bunch of anarchists. There is no "World Paper Modelers Society," and I hope there never is such a beast to inhibit our creativity. Since paint tends to warp and dissolve some of the paper structure, we tend to do it electronically....and will go to great lengths to do so. The only thing we get upset over is someone trying to profit from such recolorings without permission of the original designer.

"I know that the stock answer will be "do what you want and enjoy it." But I would love to hear why the overwhelming number of models built on this site seem to emphasize (and almost take special pride in) the use of paper only. Is THAT one of the challenges of paper modeling? There is a psychology to each of the various modeling disciplines (wood, plastic, metal, etc) I really want to hear about the guys who solely work in paper."

Since I am one of those pragmatic types that uses whatever is on hand that works the best, I can't personally respond to this one, other than to say that the majority of the threads I've seen here are not particularly paper-fanatic, and those who are, lie about it....easily verified when, after looking closely at their models, discover plastic canopies, wire landing gear struts, photo-etched railings, monofilament rigging, metal chain, wooden wheels, turned gun barrels........

When all is said and done, what is so great about paper? For me, I can obtain an entire shelf-full of kits (usually of much rarer subjects) for the cost of a single (and rather puny small scale) plastic kit.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
Psychology?

Perhaps the best example of mixed media are wheels/tires. Simple hollow cylinders of paper might not support the model's weight nor look all that realistic. So some builders use buttons, wooden wheels, and even clay wheels. Still others glue disks into a block, then turn/sand the block. Bomarc's just blown away the community with an elaborate jig-and-saw setup for cutting treads.

One of the main appeals for me -- and I'm very new, too -- is the extra control. With plastic, despite after-market decals, you're pretty much stuck with what comes in the box. But if you print out the model pieces via your own computer, you can control the weight of paper, the color of paper, and the scale of the model.

Another nice point is that you decide your own level of involvement. Some folks get very deep into repainting models, into special "studios" for photographs, and into phenomenal cockpit detail. People like me may never even graduate to transparent canopies.

But I, too, have wondered about the psychology -- not just what makes all of us tick, but why certain organizations/people fail to see the potential. A big grocery chain, e.g., could get inexpensive PR by offering a download of a semi-truck model at the company website. Many models of famous cathedrals exist already, yet it surprises me that the Catholic Church doesn't offer even more. And if politicians and Hollywood actors are our most egotistical citizens, it surprises me that they don't offer models of themselves via their own websites.

Best regards,

Yale

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
...poor trees
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Echo two key points from Darwin - if you build in paper you always have the materials at hand. Need a tube? - roll one. Need a beam? - fold up a triangle, square, or whatever you need. Block? - cut, fold, and glue. Sphere? - form up petals or approximate with conics. Thick chunks? - just glue up as many layers as you need and sculpt to shape.
Second is the graphic potential. You can literally print a picture (reduced as needed) for your surface detail. As a seriously detail-painting challenged individual, this is critical for me.
And of course, we also use whatever it takes to get the job done. It's just that most of the wire, sticks, plastic, etc. are found items - saves a trip to the hobby store (and adds to the treasure hunting experience). That's also an important point for me in trying to do some education - there's nothing in the models that students can't easily find or make.
Yogi
Old 04-02-2010, 03:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
So what do YOU think about armour modelling in plastic? - pray tell

Tim, interestingly enough, my biggest gripe about armour modeling is actually one of the prevalent answers to my question here. In armour modeling today, the game seems to be "look what I bought and how much money I spent on accessories so therefore I am "scratch building" the model and see how talented I am?"

Many of the responses to my post seem to use the logic of being cost effective. It is so refreshing to hear people say "Hey, I don't need to spend $200 on a model to like the results; I enjoy this hobby BECAUSE it is inexpensive."

Ninety five percent of the armour modeler in the world have lost the art of building, they are simply assemblers. When a part isn't available to them, they post on a message board that:
A. The kit is wrong or incomplete because the part they want isn't included.
B. When will one of the cottage industry guys come out with this part?
Instead of taking on the challenge of MAKING the part or CORRECTING the part, they instead prefer to prove their prowess by telling everyone who will listen what is wrong and how THEY found it.

Okay, I better slow down now, I feel my AMPS membership card burning! LOL
Google Adsense