PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 06-02-2010, 06:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.26 MB
Well, after a fair bit of gluing, almost daily, I have found what others have suggested. Elmer's really is too thin to work on small pieces. I use it with a brush if I have a large area to glue up. It feels almost like trying to glue using milk. I have taken the advice from many people and ended up with Aleene's Original Tacky Glue and Aleene's Fast Grab Tacky Glue. I am not saying there is anything wrong with Elmer's but as stated by many, it just feels too thin.

Now I have had a few weeks to experiment I have came to the same conclusion. I am sure that Elmer's works for many but I have learned to love Aleene's. Sorry Elmer - maybe next time. :D

Anyhoo just wanted to add my conclusions to this thread and thank you all once again for your very valuable input.

Cheers
Jim
Old 06-03-2010, 07:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 697.0 KB
Really interesting thread, Jim. I went down the same path as you, starting with Elmer's and ending up with Tacky and Fast Grab. Only it took me a year and a half. The guys on this forum are really great, aren't they?

Oh, and if you need something that grabs faster than Fast Grab, Aleene's makes a Super Thick. Not as fast as CA, but good for when you can't hold a piece very long for some reason.

Garland
Old 06-03-2010, 09:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I am fond of Wiccoll glue. It dries fairly quickly and holds well. A thin layer works and doesn't wrinkle the card stock.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardmodeler View Post
I am fond of Wiccoll glue. It dries fairly quickly and holds well. A thin layer works and doesn't wrinkle the card stock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghshinn View Post
Really interesting thread, Jim. I went down the same path as you, starting with Elmer's and ending up with Tacky and Fast Grab. Only it took me a year and a half. The guys on this forum are really great, aren't they?

Oh, and if you need something that grabs faster than Fast Grab, Aleene's makes a Super Thick. Not as fast as CA, but good for when you can't hold a piece very long for some reason.

Garland
Thanks Guys for the suggestions. I think if I buy any more glue the wife is going to wonder what the heck I am doing with it all. . Mind you she did get me a gift card to Michael's for my birthday so hmm! Shopping trip number 127 coming up for just a little bit more glue.

Cheers and thanks again.

Jim
Old 06-03-2010, 09:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardmodeler View Post

Wiccoll is my preferred glue along with Cardmodeler’s comments when it dries it is flat with no shine. Unfortunately when I tried to obtain some more of the glue I was told it was no longer available. Cardmodeler Do you have source for Wiccoll?

Jim Nunn
Old 06-04-2010, 08:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.41 GB
Can anyone suggest a good brand fo the Eastern Europe market?
Right now, I am using Hercules white glue (it is like Elmer's in the US and you can buy most anywhere), and it is working pretty good for me.
I am always open to good tips and hints.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Nunn View Post

Wiccoll is my preferred glue along with Cardmodeler’s comments when it dries it is flat with no shine. Unfortunately when I tried to obtain some more of the glue I was told it was no longer available. Cardmodeler Do you have source for Wiccoll?

Jim Nunn
Hi Jim,

If you find some please let me know.

It is the Superglue of PVA's. Ran out exactly one year ago. Can't find it anywhere.

going thru withdrawls...

Wiccol is the only glue, once you've tried it. It is designed specifically for cardstock. It works great, just as fast as superglue if used in the right amount!!

After using Wiccol, Aleenes just doesn't work. The closest I've found is the Elmer's "Craft Bond" all purpose in the round bottle.

Mike
Old 06-04-2010, 11:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
That Wiccoll glue sounded interesting so I did some searching. At first most of the results were threads from this site and from Zealot. I did get a hit on an old 2003 catalog that has it listed. The updated 2010 catalog does not have it. I then searched some more and found a listing for UHU Greven Wiccoll Super at this site www.vikinghobby.dk - UHU Greven Wiccoll Super 110g which is in Denmark.

That glue seems to be a rare commodity.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
I know that this has been mentioned in another glue thread, but the UHU twist and glue isn't too bad. I still use Aleenes tacky for the most part. Also Elmer's white glue works well if you place a drop on your glue dish and let it thicken for a few minutes before using. It then gets sufficiently tacky. I've also tried Zip Dry Paper Glue but need to experiment more before I can comment on it.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmks2000 View Post
I know that this has been mentioned in another glue thread, but the UHU twist and glue isn't too bad. I still use Aleenes tacky for the most part. Also Elmer's white glue works well if you place a drop on your glue dish and let it thicken for a few minutes before using. It then gets sufficiently tacky. I've also tried Zip Dry Paper Glue but need to experiment more before I can comment on it.
Hey mate.
Had never heard of Zip Dry Paper Glue until you mentioned it. I look forward to seeing your findings in the future when you have had a chance to play around with it more. Many thanks for yet another type of glue. :D

Cheers

Jim
Google Adsense