PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 06-25-2010, 07:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
haha thanks goddduck! now i understand the 30mm thing.
so what exactly is the scale of these miniatures? anyone know?

and on the "bad english" topic...
when you hear us bitching about the poor English skills, we are never referring to those that English is not their first language.
Our comments are directed toward "English speaking first" individuals.

Its usually pretty easy to judge whether the poster is not an English speaking person
or just an poorly educated baffoon! lol
Old 06-25-2010, 09:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Okay, back on track here...

As I understand it, what I'm being told is, what I want to do is impossible.

If one constant sized widget is counted as a fractional piece of one inch, then there must be some kind of mathematical construct to expand that fractional piece to another proportion.

As an example, both of the following statements mean the same thing:

@ 300 DPI, 1px = 1/300 of one inch.

@ 100 DPI, 1px = 1/100 of one inch.

I have a house that is 50'-8" in width. I know this, because I measured 608 inches across the front elevation of the building. I drew the house at 100 DPI, giving me a drawing that was 608 pixels wide. I really don't care how many pixels that is, I just want to enlarge it to 7.5" in width. That doesn't seem like it should be this difficult.

On my soapbox for a moment.

I never cease to be astounded by those people who are astounded that some individuals don't "get" math. One of my degrees is in educational neuropsychology, and all the available research tells us that individual brains are wired differently enough that some people are good at some things, and they suck at others. It's called "Multiple Intelligences" if anyone's interested. If memory serves, it was Dr. Howard Gardiner who came up with the concept and theory, and I think it one of the better models for how the brain processes information, and how we actually gravitate towards things for which we are neurologically, psychologically, and educationally suited. And away from things for which we aren't suited. There are those who don't believe the concepts sound, but I am not one of them.

Oh, and while I'm thinking about it, another of my degrees is in Architectural History. Another one is in History with a sub-specialty in Humanities. And wouldn't you know it, another of them happens to be in Social Psychology! Wait, let's see... That's four degrees I have. And not one of them is in math. Interesting. I failed (with an F) freshman Algebra four times before I passed it on the fifth attempt.

The point of all this, is I am not one of those people who "gets" math. I can't add in my head. I can't multiply, divide, or subtract in my head either. If I have to do any mathematical operation at all, I had better have a calculator handy, or I won't get the right answer. Or any answer at all, for that matter. My mind will go totally blank, and I'll stand there thinking "Oh no. I have to calculate something." And because of that, I become exceptionally offended when people who "get" math resort to implying that those of us who don't, somehow have limited intelligence or poor education.

Both of my graduate degrees were earned with distinction. One of them was Magna cum Laude, even. I do not have limited intelligence, nor am I stupid. I just don't get math. My brain doesn't work that way. I can tell you what our 28th president had for breakfast on his 13th birthday, but I can't tell you how old he was when he died, just from looking at his birth and death dates. I have to figure it on a calculator. So, those of you who "get" math, please try not to sound so disgusted, or have such a condescending attitude toward those of us who don't have 5th grade education, okay? It isn't the education, or the lack of it. It is that my brain just doesn't "do numbers" at all.

Now, how the hell do I make this drawing of the house end up the right size? This is going to drive me totally nuts until I can figure out how to do it.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
A 30mm figure is approx 1/60 scale.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Now let me try to take a shot at Lancer's problem. I think the first problem is in terminology use: not your's but what is general used that isn't really correct. DPI is dots per inch, a holdover from offset printing, and really only comes into use for the quality settings on your printing. The actual image on the screen is PPI pixels per inch. So what you need to do is print out the existing image 608 pixel drawing that you created. Measure it and then figure out the percent you need to get to the size you want. Then go into your image program and rescale it that % or reprint it with the printer set to print out to that %. Hope that helps some.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
I'm so bad with math, they had to create a course specially for me in high school so I and a few others like me could get the necessary math credits to graduate. "Fun with calculators" was the unofficial title.

That same year, I tested with a Masters degree level in reading comprehension. And the english teacher used my tests as the answer sheet to grade others. Unfortunately, after 10 years of using computers and text messaging, I've forgotten how to spell.

Pssst Dave....boat?
Google Adsense
Old 06-26-2010, 12:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
Lancer, what program you draw with? If you got photoshop or photoshop element. Your scaling problem will solve easy.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
You know what, Lancer. If you want to, save your house drawing to jpg file and pm me. I'll see if I can scale it for you in photoshop.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I use Paint Shop Pro. Let's say that I start a new drawing. In PSP I can create an image in Pixels, Inches, Centimeters or Millimeters. I can set the resolution to whatever I wish (within reason I suppose). Mine defaults to 200 px per inch because that is what I used last. I can set the resolution from 1px per inch to 2540 px per inch. I can also choose between Pixels/Inch or Pixels/CM.

Now. I just made a new image 608 px x 608 px. Since I made it at 200 px/in .. if I click "Image Information" it tells me that this is .239 x .239 inches

This is the size on the screen. Suppose I want to print it out. My printer has a resolution of 600 px per inch. If I printed this image then it woud be 1/3 the size since the printer has a higher resolution.

All that math makes my brain hurt. Suppose I want this image to print so it is 10" wide.

I just use the tools in PSP. I tell it to 'Resize' .. change the Print Size to 10" x 10" and change the resolution to 600 Px/In. It immediately tells me the new size is 6000 px x 6000 px.

That's the way I would do it .. at least it seems that this would work.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTraxx View Post
Now. I just made a new image 608 px x 608 px. Since I made it at 200 px/in .. if I click "Image Information" it tells me that this is .239 x .239 inches
Then your program is wrong...608px @ 200ppi is a 3.04" image when printed at that resolution.

If you want to create a specific size image or document at a particular resolution (dpi/ppi)
then you would need to know what pixel dimensions to start with.
This is a very simple calculation, but to make things a bit easier, HERE is an online (and downloadable) convertor.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:11 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 3.69 GB
airdave, while we're on the subject of grammar, in your message 17 & 21
you used "its" when you meant "it's" for it is. That's a common error.
Bob
Google Adsense