PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 06-10-2010, 06:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Smile C-130 Herk

I just downloaded my first "Real" card model from ecardmodels. I have modeled in about every other media I can think of at one time or another in my life and have even done a few simple card models several years back. Maybe I bit off more than I can chew but what the heh!
I got myself a Dave Winfield repaint of a C-130 Hercules in Blue Angels "Fat Albert" Skin, 1/48th scale. Does anyone know of any build threads or has anyone already built this kit? Any hints, tips, or tricks for the new guy?
Oh. and by the way; this may be a dumb question. But why do they sell you 3 downloads of the model?
Well,hereI go,
Google Adsense
Old 06-10-2010, 06:33 PM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Dave did a thread on Fat Albert, its around here somewhere in Aviation or Design Threads.

And the 3 downloads are in case you lose a copy, or need it on another machine or whatever. Just gives you a couple shots to get the file locked away safe in case something happens with the initial download.
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 06-10-2010, 06:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I did a build thread, yes, when designing Fat Albert.

It was something of a "rush" build... I am an impatient builder.
And I built it at about 40% kit size (if I remember correctly) which caused its own problems for me! lol

I also have a full set of build photos, of a full sized build, by one of our members.
I can't remember if it was posted here, or just done for me (and ecardmodels) privately?

I will look into that and let you know.

update...
yeah, photos of that completed full size version are HERE at the end of my Fat Albert repaint thread.

I'll try to watch your build, if you post a build thread and post some pics if you need help.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:23 AM

Chris and Dave.
Thanks for the info and the link to the build. Dave, just checking out some of your photos helped me figure out where some of the parts fit. I am not real happy with the color my printer printed out (dark, dark, dark navy blue almost a black). My fault cause I started the print then got up and went outside. So I now have a full set of Fat Albert parts in black. But the bulkheads and the wheels and tires are usable so I am going to begin to laminate them this evening when I get home from work. I have a large collection of cereal boxes and my trusty cans of 3M spray.
I guess I will have to try to put the file on a mem. stick and haul it over to OfficeMax and see if they can print it out for me.
About doing a build thread. That would be two learning experiences for me and it may take me a bit longer to build it than you folks are used to.
But then the plus side is I would probably have some of the best help and advice along the way that a guy could ever hope for.
Later,
Old 06-11-2010, 10:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
we aims ta pleez
Google Adsense
Old 06-11-2010, 11:06 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Thumbs up

Hey..... Look forward to seeing this, she's a stunning aircraft
Old 06-11-2010, 01:30 PM

Hey Dave.
By the way. I would love to see this thing in a Viet Nam Era US Air Force Jungle Camo skin. Just a suggestion that you might log somewhere in the back of your mind.
Thanks,
Old 06-11-2010, 01:39 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Or any of the MC-130E or H variants Dave (long-nose, jungle, European 1 with black bottom, or dark gray). Gunships would be a bonus.

Larry,
The key to doing a build thread is to periodically take a bunch of pictures of what you're doing as you go along. I'm usually well ahead on the build (or way behind on the thread, depending) from what's posted.
With the pictures taken, put the good ones in order, think back on what was significant (or annoying - not that Dave's stuff would do that - or that there's anything wrong with that ...) and let your fingers fly.
Yogi

Last edited by Retired_for_now; 06-11-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:58 PM

Thanks, Yogi, on the hot tips of doing a build thread. Makes good sense to me. I think I may give it a go once I get everything ready and I have a set of parts with more realistic color. Gee,I hate my printer.
Have a great day,
Old 06-19-2010, 06:56 PM

OK Guys and Gals.
As I said, I am not real experiaenced with the paper models and what I have done so far is all structures. I have 3 or 4 favs as far as aircraft go. The C130, P47, SE-5, and GeeBee R-1. I wanted a nice tough build to cut my teeth on and was going to do the C130 here. But after printing it out at Office Max to the tune of $24 bucks; I don't want to use it as my guinea pig and screw it up. I have been practicing some of your technics on making tubes and cones and burnishing on scrap paper. Well, I think I will put the C130 build on hold and proceed with the Rafal Ciesielski GeeBee R1 for my first build. I made 4 copies of this kit(in case I screw it up) and have already laminated all my parts tonite and will proceed with this build to see if I am ready to tackle the C130. So, since bagpiper is already doing a build thread on this GeeBee, I can see no since in me doing one. I will keep you all updated though as I progress.
Happy Building and Have A Great Evening,
Google Adsense