PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > fishBait's Projects

Old 09-25-2012, 06:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.93 MB
CSS Whoisit, CT ERTZ and fishBait joint project

This project started out as the CSS IVY. I will discuss the effort so far and we will discuss the identity of the ship in a later post.

As can be seen from the graphic, the Whoisit is a small sidewheeler. Part of the joint effort is to explore and develop a technique to construct complex hull shapes. Snapshots of the design and test builds will be demonstrated.

This one could take a while and hopefully contribute to the art in some small way.

Stay Tuned,

fishBait
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Whoisit, CT ERTZ and fishBait joint project-css-whoisit.jpg  
Schauen mit den Augen nicht die Hände!
Google Adsense
Old 09-26-2012, 04:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
This ship may not be the CSS Ivy, as there seems to be some detail differences. However, it is god "generic" model of the small steamers converted on both sides to fight on river and coastline waterways. Originally, she probably would of had a much fuller aft cabin section. This would have been removed to make room for the aft gun. We shall see where this goes!
CT
Old 09-30-2012, 12:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 128.43 MB
Exciting project!
I look forward to the sequel.
Joe
Old 09-30-2012, 09:32 PM

A look at the stern area reveals complex hull contours that present challenges using simple unfolding. Examination of the hull shows three distinct divisions of hull contours: bow, amidships and stern. We can break the hull into these divisions and treat each one separately!

I chose the stern division and started by generating the full hull, port and starboard sides. The keel was then clearly defined and the hull was sliced vertically through the length of the hull segment producing a series of formers. I then sliced the hull in a vertical direction producing a series of hull contours. Pulling the formers, hull contours, and keel out, we can also work with them separately and at the same time, use them in a three dimensional exploded hull view.

Initial examination shows that we may have oversampled the formers, but at the same time we missed what could be two critical formers. These two formers were added, both in the formers and in the exploded view. The hull contours may be oversampled, but not to the degree the formers are.

We must be careful in making the oversampling judgment as scale rears its head at this point and gives one a handle to help evaluate the oversampling question. For the time being, I will use 1/250 scale.

More to come,

fishBait
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Whoisit, CT ERTZ and fishBait joint project-sternview.jpg   CSS Whoisit, CT ERTZ and fishBait joint project-3hullparts.jpg   CSS Whoisit, CT ERTZ and fishBait joint project-stern-exploaded-view-1.jpg   CSS Whoisit, CT ERTZ and fishBait joint project-stern-exploaded-view-2.jpg  
Old 10-28-2012, 09:30 PM

The judgement on resampling proved to be more complex than I judged at first. After several false starts, I finally hit on what I hope is the correct scheme.

Looking at the attached graphic, the upper thick (2 laminated) horizontal is the deck. The lower horizontal is the keel bottom. You can see we have 4 internal horizontal formers, 4 beam to beam formers and one keel (3 laminated).

Now to turn these into actual parts and assemble the stern area of the hull.

More later,

fishBait
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Whoisit, CT ERTZ and fishBait joint project-trial1.jpg  
Google Adsense