PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 08-10-2011, 03:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
An exemplary Airacobra build

We would all do well from studying really exemplary model builds, and reports on how they were done. This is an example. It is "Tomek", over at Large Scale Planes, who finished his build of the 1/33 KW model of the P-39 D1 Airacobra a couple of weeks ago.

An exemplary Airacobra build-img_0044.jpg An exemplary Airacobra build-img_0101.jpg

Go have a look at the finished model, and the build report - they both make you want to get down and really do something to improve yourself.

In view of the tutorial on this site on seamless builds (a very apt subject), the build by "Tomek" provides some really fine illustrations of what's possible also with regular building methods, if you work on your technique:

An exemplary Airacobra build-img_0102.jpg An exemplary Airacobra build-img_0109.jpg

In the build report I am impressed by so many features. Here's a few of them:

An exemplary Airacobra build-img_0182-1.jpg An exemplary Airacobra build-img_0181.jpg

[Above] When something went wrong with the fit of the rear fuselage, "Tomek" used C/A, fine sanding, and some exact retouch painting.

Here's some exquisite detail work on the wings, and a few cockpit instruments:

An exemplary Airacobra build-img_0191-1.jpg An exemplary Airacobra build-img_0201.jpg An exemplary Airacobra build-img_0216-1.jpg

I am really happy to see someting like this done. Just a couple of years ago it would have been deemed impossible, right? And nothing really has changed, but the ability of a couple of modelers to take the craft of papermodeling to a new and higher level.

Perhaps we could all let ourselves be inspired and take our own modeling - at whatever level we are - just a notch higher?

Finally, what really impresses me, namely the crafting of the wing-fuselage fillets, and the seamless nose section:

An exemplary Airacobra build-img_02001.jpgAn exemplary Airacobra build-img_02061.jpgAn exemplary Airacobra build-img_02071.jpg

Nothing exotic here, just excellent treatment of the regular kit parts. I feel inspired by this, not envious at all actually, just happy to see what's possible to achieve if you dedicate yourself to doing it.

Good work, "Tomek"!

Leif
Google Adsense
Old 08-10-2011, 03:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
Wow! Make me want to run out and buy that kit, not that I can build anything that come close to Tomek even if my life is depended on it. Thanks for bring that build to our attention.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodduck View Post
Wow! Make me want to run out and buy that kit, not that I can build anything that come close to Tomek even if my life is depended on it. Thanks for bring that build to our attention.
Yes you could, and you design on top of it, not only that, you're a really nice guy!

An excellent build for sure, one of the best I've seen. Not as seamless as CDavenport's though. If you enlarge the color, and can get by the slightly out of focus camera, you can see the seam's. The wingtips are excellent.

The seams are not as smooth as the attached picture. The angle of this craft is better suited to show edges also.

I have worked around aircraft for many years. This smooth seamless build stuff is borderline not realistic. Some are starting to look like pictures of planes printed on shapes. Aircraft, Prop or Jets do not look like this in real life. Not these generation aircraft. Aircraft like the Airacobra had over lapping skins, they were not edge to edge. The picture of the real P-39 reveals the lines, and this plane has obviously been painted over. New Aircraft do not have the paint over the seams of the skins, that is one of the fastest ways to tell a plane has been painted, or is not "Factory Fresh".

My point in all of this is that unless one builds them up like they were really built up, the details will always be wrong, and it is impossible to miniaturize them as the skins would be too thin, though the work of Rojas Bazan has set the world standard in my opinion.

I don't think it is right to "call anyone out", a preference is just that, is it not?

Last edited by Zathros; 08-10-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.93 MB
Hello Leif,

thank you for presenting the work of Tomek; I've never heard of a publisher KW? Have you more details? Absolutely high class modeling on the Aircobra; but - on one hand it looses a little bit the characteristics of a card model - or not? If I like seamless and flawless and perfect surfaces - I go on plastic ... sorry?!
Anyway, his work inspires me well ... CA, sanding, filling and work with an airbrush - I leaved it behind ... as I stopped smoking I finished the work with my airbrushes ... ... dust enough for the rest of my life ...

With lovely greetings
the Wilfried
Old 08-10-2011, 06:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.44 MB
Wilfried - Jim Nunn previewed this kit a while back in this thread - Kw P39-D Airacobra

It looks a lot more detailed/ better than Halinski's P-39!

Thank you Leif for bringing this up here, it is simply inspirational! Not to mention, Tomek speaks excellent English, something that I believe is extremely helpful for those aspiring to try such techniques. Many a time I wander onto Polish and other European card modeling forums, and the translation systems are no match for the spoken word.

I've only just looked through that thread quickly before I went off to the clinic, but I have come back, and will read through this thread almost religiously.

Send my best regards and compliments to Tomek! (Does he have more build threads? I would love to read through them as well).

(Does Tomek brush on the clear lacquer coat? Or perhaps airbrushes it?)
Google Adsense
Old 08-10-2011, 06:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange View Post

Thank you Leif for bringing this up here, it is simply inspirational! Not to mention, Tomek speaks excellent English, something that I believe is extremely helpful for those aspiring to try such techniques. Many a time I wander onto Polish and other European card modeling forums, and the translation systems are no match for the spoken word.

I can agree with you whole heartedly. I was just looking at Uhu's Moonbus plans and ran it through google to translate into English and found this gem of a mistranslation...

"This time I particularly care with chocolate balls that are fishing OFF ... Thank you."

It made my day and laughed out loud. I am still wondering what he was actually saying.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
I couldn't agree more Leif, build threads like those have always inspired me to try new things and expand my skills.

While I may not have all the skills and patience of some of these guys, I still try as hard as I can to achieve the same standards.

What I usually end up with are models with added details and parts that look great from a distance, but as you get closer the imperfections start to show... I actually like that about them because it shows even the casual observer that they are indeed made out of paper and card (some of my friends and relatives still have a hard time believing that).

Thanks to countless build threads, tips, techniques and pictures on this and many other card model forums, I am now perfectly comfortable attempting models I never would have dreamed of building a few years ago.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
This gent, Tomek, is definitely at the high end of the building food chain. It's obvious his attention to detail is that of an engineer.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
Leif,

Thank you for showing this built, I just went through Tomek's build and he has some great tips and techniques. I had similar issues with the cockpit fits that he had so he can blame it on the kit, he did a fantastic job. Let him know that we would be honored if he would join our forum.

Wilfried,

The KW web site is HERE, but it appears that the models are now sold through Draf. KW's JU-87 is also a stunning model

Jim Nunn
Old 08-11-2011, 11:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Rereading the thread, I notice one says that these kits are even better than Halinski's?