Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 09-19-2012, 09:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Woo Hoo! Thank you.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava Designs View Post
The museum finally put up my model. It's on the same page as the other model, and it is labeled as "medium difficulty," which is a more accurate description. We've been calling it the "simple version" because it's simple by comparison to Roman's model.

I will also be posting the files on my website.
Yes! This is more my speed. Now if I can just do the math properly to convert it to 28mm playable scale... I think if I print at 150% that changes 1:100 to 1:75, which is close? Any help out there?
Old 09-20-2012, 05:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
To change 1/100 to 1/75 print at 133%.
100/75 = 1.33
---------------
The medium version of the ship looks good too. Thanks for all of the work and for making it available.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 23.32 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
The medium version of the ship looks good too.

Excellent instruction pages. Might be the best I've seen, so far. Particularly the photos plus notes for the icky stuff - ratlines, for example.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
To change 1/100 to 1/75 print at 133%.
100/75 = 1.33
Oooof! I had that wrong. Thanks for the correction!
Google Adsense
Old 09-22-2012, 09:21 PM

I've been invited to write up a new proposal about the feasibility of creating paper models of the rest of the Maritime Museum of San Diego ships, including visiting ships.

The Russian sub will NOT be a candidate, as it is rusting out, and is planned to be donated to a coral reef project . . . if it doesn't sink first.

Although the San Salvador is free because of its aim as an educational aid for elementary school systems, newer models are being considered for sale. What would you have paid for the San Salvador?

Any new models will be produced at a rate of 1 or 2 per year.

This is all subject to approval and change.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.83 MB
I visited the maritime Museum not too long ago. I live 20 miles from it. I was amazed at the condition of the Russian Sub. I understand what you mean when you say "If it doesn't sink first". It is a real rust bucket. Thoe Russian Sailors were a hardy bunch because the living conditions aboard those boats was awful to say the least. Even the officers had it tough. That boat was in service when I was in the Navy as a crewman aboard a P-2 hunting and following them. I could have actually been following her during the cold war and now here she is in our port rusting into oblivion. Nice to see that they are planning models of all the vessels there. what about the Dolfin (I think that is what itis named) that American Research sub.

"Oh wisdom thou are fled to brutish beasts and men have lost their reason" (Bill Shakespear)
Old 09-24-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionic Modeler View Post
what about the Dolfin (I think that is what itis named) that American Research sub.
The Dolphin sub is included, but there was no mention of the research sub.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 101.41 MB
Sorry for the late response. I just had a chance now to download and glance through the files.

First of all, congratulations, Robert! Your instructions are excellent. I think they set a new standard for those unfamiliar with paper models. I also like how you show the model with the railings and ratlines solid on one side, and open on the other. This "side by side" comparison definitely demonstrates what can be done with a little extra time and effort. Also, your treatment of the ladders is inspired. They are FAR easier for a beginner than assembling each step, yet quite convincing upon first viewing.

As for future projects, best wishes on your proposal. Personally, even though your San Salvador is a downloaded file and not a printed version like the Dover books, I think a $12 to $15 price wouldn't be too far out of line. After all, a slight premium would be expected for unique official museum commissioned pieces. I predict an accurate Star of India and Californian would be very popular, though sailing ships are more difficult to design than say, the Berkeley. And I wonder if the movie studio still has any reproduction rights on the HMS Surprise?

Again, great work! I look forward for your future projects, and I hope you keep us informed in this forum.

David T. Okamura
Old 09-25-2012, 05:32 PM

I will certainly keep everyone up-to-date on any new models. The museum encouraged public knowledge of the San Salvador during creation, so I would assume that they would do the same for future models.

With my models, I have to rely on optical tricks since I tend not to put too much physical detail into my models compared to the work of Roman Detyna. I know what a hassle ladders and stairs can be to assemble. It's mind-numbingly tedious work.

I'm not sure that the museum wants to charge a lot for the models . . . especially for a digital download. I've been hovering around the $7-$10 range. Maybe as low as $5.

I'm going to throw out the idea of a modified "pay what you want" system, but with a minimum starting price (other than $0). I know there are folks who are very appreciative of these models, and are not afraid to pay what they think they're worth. That way the museum gets their minimum asking price while possibly gaining additional revenue. They're a non-profit organization, so every bit helps. The system works for indie game designers, so why not modify it for the museum?