PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 12-25-2011, 10:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.63 GB
PolarisA3 1/24 scale

Hello to any and all that are looking at this, Thanks for your interest in this, my first, publicly released model.
If you have built any of Ton's excellent models from the Lower Hudson Valley Paper Model you'll recognize that I used the same style of design and building protocol.
This is just some straight up cylinders and cones. Just cut out and glue with patience and align the seams and you'll have a nice looking 16 inch display.
I sized the pages so they will fit both A4 and Letter sized paper without resizing
Follow the numbers for the major sections with lettering for the sub assemblies.
Thanks to all the designers out there that have provided me with many hours of building and I hope I can begin to give back to the papermodel community.
Its over in the Download section http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/d...o=file&id=1225
Attached Thumbnails
PolarisA3 1/24 scale-cover.jpg  

Stefan Wulph
Google Adsense
Old 12-25-2011, 12:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Cool I like big rockets! (wow that sounded wrong!)....Rich
Old 01-01-2012, 09:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Nice, looks like something I need to build.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:09 AM

WOW I got a big rocket! OK not as big as my 1/48 Saturn V but it's still big! Very good kit, fit is right on the money, very easy to build ( built mine in under 2 hours) love it, thanks Stefan Wulph.....Rich

PolarisA3 1/24 scale-100_2721.jpg
Old 01-02-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skycop 1 View Post
Nice, looks like something I need to build.
Thanks. I hope you'll enjoy this model

Quote:
Originally Posted by richkat View Post
WOW I got a big rocket! OK not as big as my 1/48 Saturn V but it's still big! Very good kit, fit is right on the money, very easy to build ( built mine in under 2 hours) love it, thanks Stefan Wulph.....Rich
You are welcome, Rick.
Glad it went together well for you and you might be interested in my next one also. The Polaris A2, It'll be the same big scale as the A3. And I'm thinking of also doing the A1

Stefan Wulph
Google Adsense
Old 01-02-2012, 05:18 PM

Hey I'll build anything this well designed, can't wait looking forward to it! thanks Stefan...........Rich
Old 01-02-2012, 06:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Stefan, please do the A1 and A2 versions of the Polaris IPBM. To explain the acronym...my father worked at AeroJet General, Sacramento during the development of the Polaris. (I even had a very small piece of the project when I was a summer-hire intern, and spent some of my time doing dimension tolerance studies of shipping crates for some of the assemblies.) The Polaris second stage engine went throuigh static test firing, it was held in a horizontal test cradle. The initial design of the test stand secured the engine in every direction but one....since all the thrust would be out the nozzle, no one saw any need to secure the nozzle end of the engine. As luck would have it, on one of the test firings, a hole burned through the front of the fuel casing, and it started producing more thrust through it than through the nozzle. The engine backed itself out of the test stand, and then started pinwheeling through the air across the Sacramento River rock flats in the general direction of the Martin Marietta plant. Fortunately, it came to earth in an unoccupied rock pile somewhere between the two facilities. As the story goes, the Aerojet manager got an immediate phone call from the Martin manager that "any future hostilities would be met with massive retaliation." Ever since that event, the missle was known as the Inter-plant Ballistic Missle (IPBM).

It would really be nice to build a complete set of the Polaris missles. For many years, some aspect of the development program was the topic of the evening for dinner table conversation.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
...snip...
It would really be nice to build a complete set of the Polaris missles. For many years, some aspect of the development program was the topic of the evening for dinner table conversation.
*Starts laughing so hard it brings tears to his eyes, achy sidea and a much needed grin*
Oh Man taking about amusing but it also shows that sometime the most intelligent of men can still fubar with the worst of them.. My self included.
Thanks for sharing that, Darwin and yes I will continue with the Polaris series and your story has gotten me thinking of something for that story.

Stefan Wulph
Old 01-02-2012, 11:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Stefan, my brief exposure to the engineering world at Aerojet General (two summers of intern work) gave many lessons of humility to this budding engineer. One of the engineers I did scut work for had a pretty red cloth tag prominently pinned onto his bulletin board. It was about three inches by five inches. When I asked him about it, he told me it was his reminder about unintended consequences. It was intended as a warning flag to be attached to a pin that had to be removed from a subassembly before removing it from its shipping crate. Apparently, this was from very early in his working career, ahd he had a bit of I'm-an-engineer arrogance in dealing with the fabrication shop craftsmen....apparently, he had chewed out one of the foremen for not building one of his parts in exact compliance with the instructions on his drawings. Anyhow, about a week after giving this particular batch of drawings to the fab shop, he received a call from the foreman informing him that his people had put in twenty hours labor but still weren't able to cut the blankety blank tag to the 5 mil tolerance he called out. Sure enough, the drawing showing the tag was on a sheet with an instruction callout that all dimensions shown on the drawing were to have a 5 mil tolerance, with no exception made for the 3 inch by 5 inch cloth tag. Any more questions as to why the Polaris program was usually over budget and behind schedule?
Old 01-04-2012, 08:00 PM

Yo Darwin and anyone else..
Just put up my Polaris A2 Have fun and next up is the A1 version.
Polaris A2 1/24 scale

Stefan Wulph
Google Adsense