PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 02-09-2013, 11:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Dave, you have lived a charmed life indeed! Were the Pan Am flights, as the Brits say, over the pond ?

This ebay listing forced me to pull out my copy of this model and lol!....I discovered two of them in the mailing tube instead of just one. At Approx. 20" by 30" it's way too big to scan. I may try taking a photo of mine instead. And apart from a curved set from the mailing tube both Bakelite vinyl sheets are in perfect condition. Unfortunately the paper instructions did not fare so well as they have big holes, presumably from bug damage.

While I sincerely doubt that it would fly very well this plastic sheet would make into a large impressive model.

Curt
Old 02-10-2013, 01:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 58.50 MB
Bakelite is a single and specific plastic - polyoxybenzylmethylenglycolanhydride - a thermosetting phenol formaldehyde resin.
Invented by Dr. Baekeland it was the first synthetic thermosetting plastic ever made and he patented it in 1907 under the name Bakelite. He announced the invention in 1909 and founded the General Bakelite Company in 1910, that company being merged into the Bakelite Corporation in 1922

My knowledge of plastics does not deserve being spoken down to, I was merely curious as to exactly what material was used in this particular kit. If indeed it has been correctly identified as mylar then my curiosity has been satisfied, for which thank you.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I wasn't speaking down to you...sorry if it came across that way.

I felt you had misquoted the Model.
And the topic of discussion was diverted to what material was used in this model.
Implying something connected to "bakelite plastic".

I just read the copy contained within the model
...it states clearly that the model is printed on rigid vinyl plastic sheet (Mylar).
Which was an innovative new product in the Sign making industry at that time.
It states that this "roll of plastic sheet" was "developed by the Bakelite* company". [*©Bakelite]

On the main model page it does say "Bakelite© Rigid Vinyl Plastic Sheet"
which I read as "Mylar from the Bakelite company"
not "a plastic made from Bakelite material".

I apologize if that came across any other way other than correcting
what I thought was a misquote.

yeah, I got to fly from Canada to England (and back) on Pan Am (I think around 1969 or so).
And I can still remember much of it...but I can't remember what kind of plane it was.
I think it was a 727, but I also remember a TriStar and a 707 flight from those years.
The plane seemed plusher...I remember a lot of deep gorgeous blue.
I remember feeling like a very young Prince - treated like royalty all the time.

We had special Pillows and Blankets...and these stretchy comfy slippers.
Everyone got their own slippers in a bag which we took with us!
Oh, and a vinyl travel bag...zipped shoulder bag with the PanAm logo on the side.
I remember having that bag for years.

Other than a trip flying BOAC by myself (at age 11)...Junior Jet Club Member
on a 747 (where I got to sit in the Captains seat at 25,000 feet!), my Pan Am
experience will go down as my favorite airline experience.

are you going to try to build one of your Models Curt?
or were you thinking of selling them?

Last edited by airdave; 02-10-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 528.35 MB
that's actually really neat. I had no idea it existed. I would love to have it, but $200 is way out of price range for a bit of nostalgia. Well at least I can look at my Gulf Oil Lem Model giveaway hanging on my wall...
Old 02-10-2013, 09:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 58.50 MB
"Mylar from the Bakelite company" works for me, thanks.
Google Adsense
Old 02-10-2013, 09:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 528.35 MB
this reminds me of a "rare" micromodel of a tugboat that was once on ebay that I was bidding on. I went as high as $5, and the thing ended up selling for around $70. I wrote the guy who one and asked him to make a photocopy of it for me as I really wanted to build it, and that obviously you don't cut up a $70 postcard. he was thrilled to do it. Emailed me great scans of the boat. I would of paid $5 just for the scans.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Not long ago an original Modelcraft set fetched 255 lbs on the UK ebay site. That's well over $400 dollars US. I think that bidding on it started at 5 lbs. So you never know what stuff will sell at. I was shocked at the price paid for the last Geli model which I sold. The micromodels Santa Fe diesel loco and Western style steam loco set that I wanted recently got too rich for me at just $20.00.

But then again, I've been unemployed for several years now and my ebay trading needs to be kept in the "black". So far I've managed pretty well by slow selling of printed models purchased when I was employed. Pretty easy to part with the old Maly's and Geli models but now I'm down to the GPM, Model Card and Halinsky stuff. So it's nice to have two of the rare Rigby stock to keep feeding the beast.

Curt
Old 02-10-2013, 01:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 271.77 MB
All it takes is two people to make an explosive auction on EBay. Some years back, I was bidding on Ann Hatheway's house model. It was the only Micromodel I didn't have and I wanted to complete my collection. I dropped out at $500. Unknown to me, my wife had someone bid for to surprise me on my birthday. Fortunately, she was outbid at $1500. I wanted it, but not that bad.
I have a number of the Rigby books. I especially like the early ones from the 1930s.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
If you want to take a look at the site Rob Tauxe mentioned (Rigby Paper Model Club) The Wayback-machine offers us a snapshot of it: Rigby Paper Model Club

Best Regards,

Tappi
Old 03-11-2013, 11:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
There is a Czech site which has scans of many of the Rigby Sunday Comics Models.

See: papírové modely, galerie papírových model?
Google Adsense