PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 08-02-2013, 07:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 179.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc00ter View Post
I had no problems either but I also have a Mac Pro so things just work. I'm running Windows XP in real time on my Pro though I'm never sure if things work because it's running on the Mac chipset or what.

Sc00ter
I'm on a Macbook too and it cut the image off on me too. It must be something in the PDF itself thats off. I can usually open the individual page in Adobe Illustrator and I get an error code from this file.
Clif
Old 08-03-2013, 07:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 63.11 MB
I have a printed copy of this model that I picked up at the Mariners' Museum a couple of years back. Comparing this with the posted images, it does indeed look like the bottom piece of the "raft" upper hull has been cut off in the PDF version. The bottom of the raft is symmetrical, with side strips on both sides.

There is a small issue with the scale of this model. Mine is printed on 12 x 18 cardstock, and the length of the hull is 14.5 inches. The real Monitor was 172 feet long, so the scale works out to about 1/142, which is close to the 1/144 that's printed on the first sheet of the model. I assume that the PDF version is intended to be printed on 8 1/2 by 11, which means that the scale can't be also be 1/144. It sounds like they produced the printed version first, and did not change the scale notation when the digitalized it.

Speaking of digitalizing, there's a funny tidbit about the Mariners' Museum, of which I've been a member since the 1980s. Apparently at some point after I joined, they digitalized their membership records, and in the process they must have assigned the new member numbers in alphabetical order. My current member number is *6*. I've gotten a couple of double takes when I've provided it for signups and such.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 357.33 MB
USS Monitor Model

Yes,

the bottom part of the red hull has been cut off or cropped from sheet one. I suppose if you print two sheets (one reversed in Photoshop CS), it would be a rather simple compromise to cut and join the narrow part that is missing, with a joiner strip topside to hold them close together.

Furthermore, if you work with the parts on top of a light table, you can fix both parts next to each other (with two small strips of tape), and then cut through both with a sharp thin scalpel blade, for a perfect fit.

Best regards,
Bengt
Old 08-03-2013, 08:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 357.33 MB
Paper Shipwright Models of USS Monitor and CSS Virginia

There are of course also the excellent 1:250 scale waterline models from David Hathaway, of both the USS Monitor and the 'Merrimac': American Civil War | Paper Shipwright

If you should like to create a complete diorama battle scene of the 'Hampton Roads' area in 1862!

/ Bengt
Old 08-03-2013, 07:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Thumbs up

I sent them an e-mail with Doug's drawing and a description of the problem. Hopefully they will fix the source file.

~ Ready-Aye-Ready
Google Adsense
Old 08-04-2013, 05:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
I copied parts sheet page 1 with the error and pasted it into PaintShop Pro then selected and copied the good section of the hull. That selection was pasted onto another layer on top of the parts sheet, flipped to get the correct orientation, then moved around to position it in the correct place. Any extra lines were erased. Worked out good. The resulting parts sheet was checked to make sure it was still in scale with page 2 then printed using CutePDF Writer. The resulting pdf was rechecked to make sure it was still in scale with the other page, which it was.

Those long rectangles in the white section are slots to be cut out so the hull parts can be joined.

The turret can be rotated. You use a thumb tack as the pivot.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:13 AM

Here is a picture of the completed model:
Old 08-05-2013, 07:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
I got an answer from NOAA -Fe

Hi Douglas,

I received your email about the paper model, and you are correct, there is a missing piece! I think when the model was scanned, it was not scanned correctly, and part of the model was eliminated. I will try to correct the issue as soon as I can.

If you would like, I would be happy to send you a hard copy of the paper model. Just let me know an address that I can send it to via UPS.

Thanks for letting us know!
Shannon
Old 08-05-2013, 09:54 AM

Good to see. Looks like you are gonna get a bigger boat.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 136.99 MB
I too had contacted NOAA and have received the packet today.......nice printing on what I guess to be bright, semi-matt 110 index card (???). Also some nice info leaflets on the Monitor and the Museum.

Here is a really huge "thank you" to Shannon Ricles.....this was more than a job well done!!!!
Google Adsense