PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 09-16-2021, 05:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 144.53 MB
I know and agree he has the right but the more you try and limit something, the more people want it, the more valuable it becomes, and the more likely people are to try and profit from it.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by snark View Post
sadly he caused all the pirating himself. if he had made them readily available ppl wouldn't be able to sell them. I see it in autographs the ppl that will sign for free have the lowest resale prices and the ones that limit what they sign have the highest. Why buy from a pirate what you can get free or at a reasonable from the creator.
ahh there you have it folks.
we now know the truth.

Uhu caused piracy...

its all his fault.
LMAO

once again, someone else trying to justify why they steal?

while I agree Uhu's method (of creating a Secret Library with password access to those he deemed worthy) did more damage than good,
to say he "caused" the piracy of his own models is an ignorant statement.
The Secret Library was created as a result of others pirating his models and trying to sell them.
Thats what he was angry about (as far as I remember).
The restricted access was an effort to thwart piracy that already existed.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:47 AM

Firstly I don't steal, secondly, I missing several of his models but I wont buy them on line no mater how much I wanted them. I've had people in academia take credit for my work so I know the feeling. My point was the more you try to limit peoples access to something the more people will try and find a way to profit from it. Lego every year puts out limited edition sets at Christmas and every year they are gone in hours and on eBay by the end of the day at several times the list price. I wouldn't think you have much problem with piratcy what you sell is very reasonably priced, and your free models all you ask is for people to send their friends to your webpage and not just hand them out. Saying he cause it all was a misstatement but he sure fuled the fire, and now the only way to get them is to get stolen ones. your not going to give them to anyone I'm not going to give them to anyone and I sure most people here wouldnt.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
At first, Uhu was freely allowing access to his models...
until they started to appear on ebay and the like.
Thats when he got upset and restricted access to them.

In effect, making them more "valuable" (as you implied).

While that may have contributed slightly to the unauthorized sharing of his models,
internet piracy was a growing trend at that point.
A trend that continues to this day and has increased dramatically.

The biggest incentive to pirate and reshare models is ad revenue.
Websites are often created to make money from embedded ads, and the free products are just bait.
You'll find this on most Russian based "pirate" sites.

Some folks also "steal" credit...making themselves look good for sharing files and acting like "Robin Hood".
They pretend they are doing good for the people, or helping to promote authors,
when in fact, they are just stealing authorship credit.
I've heard the Robin Hood excuse from Russian thieves, but others do it too!

Then there's the resellers....on ebay and sites like alibaba.
They seem to be mostly Chinese sellers, with the goal of making money off someone else's work.
I give them credit for at least offering a service (ie printed copies of pirated models) but the quality of the printed kits is usually seriously lacking!
These people aren't concerned about whose kits they are stealing...just whether there is a profit to be made.
And in Uhu's case, his models look so impressive in photos from his own website..easy profit makers.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:41 AM

I'll admit to not having kept up with with all the evil uses his models were put to. my main focus is Early Cape Canaveral History both civilian and Military and little to none of that can be currently found online what I have has all come from talking with the early missilemen and old dusty books and photos about half the people that I have provided the material to have given me credit the other half takes credit for my work but still I share it. I plan to but it on line at some point but still haven't figured the best way, I'm thinking of adding a new page to my facebook since its a lot of photos much of which would be good for models.
Google Adsense
Old 09-16-2021, 11:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 296.90 MB
Now there is a seller on Amazon selling mostly Canon models, printed out.
So much piracy and theft out there.

Wanted to add: Seller name is Twosuns. If you design models you might want to check their offerings.

Last edited by altomentis; 09-16-2021 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-16-2021, 04:30 PM

eBay does have a police against copyright infringement you may be able to report it but also notify cannon as they can get it enforced as the holder
Old 09-16-2021, 04:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks for all for the responses. It is too bad that he does not simply upload them to wargamevault.com and sell them himself. All I want is the viper, but that would be an easy five or ten bucks for me to drop on that miraculous piece of work. He could literally sell them himself with minimal effort, and all those who were gatekeeping for him could simply be sending people to the models for sale.
Old 09-16-2021, 05:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwescoat View Post
Thanks for all for the responses. It is too bad that he does not simply upload them to wargamevault.com and sell them himself. All I want is the viper, but that would be an easy five or ten bucks for me to drop on that miraculous piece of work. He could literally sell them himself with minimal effort, and all those who were gatekeeping for him could simply be sending people to the models for sale.
It's not that simple.

Many of his subjects are trademarked and if he started selling them, it would probably be hit with a CND notice and/or hit up for royalties. Only his hisotircal subjects might be safe from this, most of the rest are all movie-related and thus vulnerable to aggressive litigation...
Old 09-16-2021, 11:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPONeill View Post
It's not that simple.

Many of his subjects are trademarked and if he started selling them, it would probably be hit with a CND notice and/or hit up for royalties. Only his hisotircal subjects might be safe from this, most of the rest are all movie-related and thus vulnerable to aggressive litigation...
Right. I forgot about that.
Google Adsense