PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 12-02-2007, 04:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I think it ill-advised to download from Trotskiy

I see numerous posts stating that his website is up and running but from what I have observed and have gone through with another busted site is that angry owners or hacked sites tend to leave behind little booby traps.

I am wondering if anyone has downloaded and opened anything from Trotskiy's broken site which if I can tell was always well maintained and from my view on 2 different web browsers shows a still broken site but now offering a link for download.

If they downloaded from that site, have they successfully pulled a NEW model or an old one. If it's an entirely new model then rest assured I am wrong but if it is an old one then your in for a treat like what I suffered through for months before I had to redo my whole machine over.
Google Adsense
Old 12-02-2007, 06:14 PM
Banned

I have downloaded all of the models Trotskiy has to offer and never "caught" anything from there. I used to run "Norton Internet Security" but now run "Norton 360". I just downloaded his latest "Type 96s_v36" plane, scanned it, no problems. I "NEVER" use M$ Internet Explorer, I only use Mozilla Firefox. I use "Internet Explorer" only to download updates from M$. I use "CrapCleaner" after every online venture to clean up any leftovers, i.e. "cookies", etc. There have been many "redirects" this year by people "Googling" for Christmass shopping items that have left "spyware,/malware" on their machines. I would be more concerned about those type of attacks than one from a website. Make sure your protection is updated and you shouldn't have any problems unless you click on something and let it in. I have never had a problem with .pdf's from Trotskiy or any other site as they are all scanned by "Norton" first, but I know what you mean, as in the past I have had great problems but I personally never had to do a complete re-install from a virus but have done it for other people ( I build my own computers ).
Old 12-02-2007, 07:12 PM
Anime Moderator

Total Downloaded: 23.29 MB
The type 96 is fine.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:15 PM

ok ... lets start this by making some statements.

No browser is going to protect you from what you have downloaded when you have aready accepted the download.

There has already been an instance of a former model releaser posting infected content on his site hence my need to buy a new harddrive in order to replace the existing one and not to delete the content of it.

No one antviral software package is the be-all, end-all, catch-all and if you think that then you might as well save time and not run any at all.

To think that a pdf is safe from containing a viral package is just ignorance.

Knowledge of the site you download from is paramount and should supersede any system protections in place. Like a hacked site.

Go ahead and download from this site. Remember you were warned from someone who already was burned by another site. I have nothing to gain from warning people here. Trotskiy was pretty religious on how he maintained his site and to see it in such shape and still offer downloads makes for a highly strange situation.

Lot's of luck and my last post in this thread.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:18 PM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
I'm not sure what you mean about 'such shape' of trotskiy's site. It looks EXACTLY like it always has, has a 12/2/07 updated date and has pink on the first row for plane updates. It looks exactly like it always has - are you using an odd link or something?
http://trotskiy.moo.jp - same old same old.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
There is one difference, Dan. The final row of modern Japanese airplanes isn't there. I think there may be a couple of new models, too. Was there a Ryan Fireball and Hawker Sea Fury before the site went down? Perhaps, but I don't remember them.

Anyway, my virus checker didn't find any problems with the A5M (Type 96) Claude currently being offered and, since it is one that I was never able to download before, I'm hoping for the best.

Don B.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:38 PM
Banned

Thumbs down Mega Tude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stev0 View Post
ok ... lets start this by making some statements.

No browser is going to protect you from what you have downloaded when you have aready accepted the download.

There has already been an instance of a former model releaser posting infected content on his site hence my need to buy a new harddrive in order to replace the existing one and not to delete the content of it.

No one antviral software package is the be-all, end-all, catch-all and if you think that then you might as well save time and not run any at all.

To think that a pdf is safe from containing a viral package is just ignorance.

Knowledge of the site you download from is paramount and should supersede any system protections in place. Like a hacked site.

Go ahead and download from this site. Remember you were warned from someone who already was burned by another site. I have nothing to gain from warning people here. Trotskiy was pretty religious on how he maintained his site and to see it in such shape and still offer downloads makes for a highly strange situation.

Lot's of luck and my last post in this thread.
1st: I scan all files I download with AVG and Norton
2nd: I scan .PDF's as well
3rd: I have 3 hard drives on my computer 2 80G and one 500G so as to never find myself in the situation you found yourself in.
4th: The ignorance is on your part, after all, your the one who didn't read my post correctly and you are the one who lost his computer.
5th: I posted nothing that anyone with any sense would find offensive.
6th: Why don't you just make it your last post, period. I joined this forum to get away from ignorance you just projected.
7th To use your experience from another website as the standard from which to browse any other website would mean that one should disconnect from the Internet and give it up.

I just don't understand the attitude. I would almost bet you don't even know where the virus really came from, maybe that's why your so angry. People usually share their ideas and experiences on computing and virus/spyware problems. Sharing knowledge leads to a better community. It would have been more hopeful if you posted where you got the virus from and what the virus was. However seeing that you had your say no one will ever know.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:50 PM

Unhappy Cut the CRAP!

I think it is completely unfair to "assume" that the site would have booby traps without proof.

Website up and website down is common with many servers, but is no reason AT ALL to be paranoid or accusative, and I would not blame Trotskiy for something he has NOT done.

I think it is foolish to have any files on your hard drive that aren't backed up.
When I run into problems I cannot fix, I simply reformat. Sure it is a pain, but in my years online, I have never lost anything I cannot replace with this method.

Please do NOT turn this site into a bitchfest like "the other one" became.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:50 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
All,

Stev0, If you can satisfy those who are asking for proof, then do so, I know which site you are referring to, and in all of my time downloading stuff from that site I never have gotten anything.

All, lets keep the discussion amicable, after all, it is the season to be jolly.
One thing as an admin I really do not like to do, is to lock threads, I have had a request to do so.
Lets not start closing threads Ok?

Comments, Concerns, Gripes, Overall Grief, email or PM me

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 12-03-2007, 07:29 PM
Facilitator

Total Downloaded: 368.13 MB
While I cannot personally speak for Trotskiy, I can speak from personal experience. If you are on the net, you are a target for hackers and spammers. The only thing you can do is try to prevent then from getting through, and if they do get through, to restore of a clean backup and patch the hole that allowed them access in the first place. If his site is back online, It would suggest that he has restored his site and corrected the problems but only he can confirm that.

That said it is always good to make sure your anti virus is up to date no matter what or where you download from on the internet.

Jason
Google Adsense