PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 04-28-2010, 09:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Free Flying Paper Rockets w/Launcher

Found a free flying paper rocket and launcher made from paper. PDF download avail at

Build your own paper rocket!

Simple easy to build, just do the inside folds on the bellows launcher first, and fold both side of paper/cardstock to get it to do the folds required-took two tries to figure it out!

Was looking for a paper bellows so that I could do something similar, always wanted to add some "air" psi to the Woodengravers blow rockets on the Z.

Remember seeing a design for a paper bellows, and was looking for it to join the two into a project when I found it had already been done!

My first rocket design is the Mercury Redstone as the photos show.

Less than 2-hours cut/build time!!!

Hope you have as much fun as I am!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

BTW-Looked at the Found it on the Interent and the PASA and could not find these posted anywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Free Flying Paper Rockets w/Launcher-mr1.jpg   Free Flying Paper Rockets w/Launcher-mr2.jpg   Free Flying Paper Rockets w/Launcher-mr3.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 04-28-2010, 09:56 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Sweet! What height are you getting out of it?
Chris
Old 04-28-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgutzmer View Post
Sweet! What height are you getting out of it?
Chris
One foot! Does a somersault as the tube fit is to tight and it has to sit/balance on the end. Also need to "Goop" the air leaks on the bellows. Working on a redesign to fix the problem but in the mean time I have another project that is more pressing and full of headaches...

This was a pleasant diversion and thought I would share the designers link so everyone can build one!

Rockets are very easy to design for this, already have a Saturn V and this Redstone after about 4-hours total time including the redraw and enlarging of the bellows launcher-printed out this on 12" x 18" cardstock and used Yupo synthetic for the bellows.

Mike
Old 05-02-2010, 06:46 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
The more the merrier

Nice, Mike. You can do similar with the stomp rocket (6 pages deep in the sci-fi/real space downloads) and get about 100'. You'll need a robust "motor" tube inside, but it will launch just about anything. You might need to resize the model to accommodate standard PVC tubing - but you can get various size tubing for the launch rail as well.

Free Flying Paper Rockets w/Launcher-ares-rocket-launcher.jpg
Free Flying Paper Rockets w/Launcher-p6250460.jpg

The straw rocket launcher (toys&automata downloads) will handle small, light models but won't get the kind of range a stomp rocket will. It is more controllable and suitable for airplanes on a straw.

Free Flying Paper Rockets w/Launcher-pa260043.jpg
Free Flying Paper Rockets w/Launcher-straw-rocket-airplanes.jpg

Phil also has a series of similar "blow rockets" here Phils Creations - Welcome! , click on the downloads.

Yogi
Old 05-02-2010, 11:04 AM

Hi Yogi,

Yabadab-a-doooo! Didn't know about that type of launcher,but can hardly wait to make one!

It is good to see that I'm not the only one addicted to "Hot Rodding Paper Models"!!

With one of those 2-gallon juice bottles and a 2" pipe, sub-orbital might take on a new meaning for paper models!

The straw rockets are similar to what got me started, Phil's Creations are the exact rockets I was talking about (1st post of thread). They were/are posted on the Z. Kept remembering them; wanting to do something similar but with a bellows.

So, after deciding to try something new for a change, the search for Paper Bellows brought up the link above.

Rockets are fairly easy compared to flying airplanes. So will spend some time checking out more of the PASA.

Thank you for your helpful links! The photos are excellent, thanks for them as well!

Now I have more projects to do on my list!

Mike
Google Adsense
Old 05-03-2010, 12:45 PM

New Size Bellows

Working on a design to be listed on eBay.

Upgraded the launcher to a hand held. Newest launcher can send the bigger Redstone to about 40ft.

Have to work on the 26" tall Saturn V. The litle Mercury is done from regular 8.5"x11" paper. Great flyer until the bellows gave out.

The biggest bellows is made from Yupo synthetic paper. It is tough and it gives the rockets plenty of go! Will try to get some action photos later today.

Plan to market these on a CD as PDF files. 1st one will contain the launcher and all 3-Mercury Boosters. Although the Jupiter didn't launch a man, it was a Mercury launch vehicle.

The launcher that Yogi mentions above can be adpated to these rockets as well as my flying airplanes!

All the more reason to do the shuttle that is half drawn!

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Free Flying Paper Rockets w/Launcher-8.jpg   Free Flying Paper Rockets w/Launcher-9.jpg  
Old 05-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Very nice job! You can also use smaller soda bottles (16oz or 1 liter) as a power source if you're looking to build a hand held launcher. Works well for straw rockets (with a loss of precision) and for small diameter (1/2 inch) stomp rockets.

Yogi
Old 08-16-2010, 09:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Simple? Maybe for the people at papermodelers.com, but I can for the life of me not figure out the bellows. Using 92% scaled on letter 110lb cardstock with the original PDF, but even on regular paper it's killing me. The corners are like tiny valleys unto which untold dexterity points are sacrificed...A little help?
Old 08-16-2010, 10:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
(would be an edit, but apparently you can only edit within 60 minutes of a post, and it took my post over 60 minutes to get approved)

Got it working now, took an hour to do. Now to upscale...
Old 08-16-2010, 10:50 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
umm, Pomoro, I approve all the new posts by new members, and I do have a life outside of this forum so, it might have taken all night, and might not have seen it until the morning.

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense