PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 06-10-2010, 03:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Canon range of high-performance all-paper gliders

I was quite unaware until now of the Canon range of high-performance all-paper gliders, some of them based on professor Ninomiya's White Wings glider. If you follow this link you will come directly to one of those gliders.

If you want them all, you'll have to look around, or search a bit. On Canon's main site they are all under Home>Paper Craft>Toys. But since there are 113 items under that heading, you will have to plod through eight pages to get them all.

A few hints: Search for "Racer" if you want the Ninomiya type gliders - there are two versions, the Racer 538 and the Racer 539, although each of those two comes in several colours, so they still add up to 7 separate models.

Canon range of high-performance all-paper gliders-racer538-b_thl.jpg Canon range of high-performance all-paper gliders-racer538-y_thl.jpg Canon range of high-performance all-paper gliders-racer539-g_thl.jpg Canon range of high-performance all-paper gliders-racer539-p_thl.jpg

If you want the other, more "stylish" range of gliders (including two canards, and one asymmetrical one), search for "cx". You will find 6 different models.

Canon range of high-performance all-paper gliders-azit-cx_thl.jpg Canon range of high-performance all-paper gliders-blaze-cx_thl.jpg Canon range of high-performance all-paper gliders-edgie-cx_thl.jpg Canon range of high-performance all-paper gliders-stream-cx_thl.jpg Canon range of high-performance all-paper gliders-trainer-cx_thl.jpg Canon range of high-performance all-paper gliders-wizard-cx_thl.jpg

They are all very interesting, with separate instructions, and a very nifty sheet on how to make an effective catapult. Note particularly the trick to use several rubber bands connected in series so to speak. That simple solution never dawned on me until now. Here's what the "Wizard" model sheets look like:

Canon range of high-performance all-paper gliders-wizard-patterm.jpg Canon range of high-performance all-paper gliders-wizard-instr.jpg Canon range of high-performance all-paper gliders-catapult-flying-jpg.jpg

For similar models on this site, see these two threads:

Neato gliders
Airbus
Quetzalcoatl high-performance all-paper glider

Leif

PS. I now see that cut 'n' paste has already advertised a few of these gliders in the Airbus thread above. Apologies for duplicating the information. - L.
Google Adsense
Old 06-10-2010, 03:48 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
fun stuff! thanks man
Chris
Old 06-11-2010, 02:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 155.43 MB
I tried some of them alongside Akihiko Suzuki's superb fighter aircraft gliders...

light and easy but TONS of fun on each one!!!

If you can build them strongly and you have a fairly powerful launcher (ground mounted recommended), you can fling these things up to 100 mph (I calculated their launch speeds... it took me some math and lots of trials, but the numbers don't lie), and reach at least 100-150 ft on ideal conditions...

they can pull quite a number of Gs, enough to warp the wings after dozens of launches
Old 02-09-2012, 05:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks the 6 are awesome
Old 02-09-2012, 05:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 417.89 MB
they are good. I've been looking forward to building a few and having a go

In progress: Canon Alice in Wonderland Tunnel House, Canon A340, Learning Blender
Google Adsense
Old 02-09-2012, 05:31 PM

Location: I live in the rainy hills of western Washington, not far from Juntopi
Total Downloaded: 0
Excellent find! I want to make a few to take over to the niece and nephew for some paper airplane fun.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Would these be a scenario for using CA to harden the model?
Old 02-09-2012, 06:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
CA might make the paper too brittle.... but maybe carbon fibers?
Old 02-12-2012, 08:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 28.13 MB
I wonder why i didn't see this before. Thanks Leif, reminds me a lot of the Whitewings Gliders.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
Leif, Canon has just released a colorful "flying disk (ring)" -- which most of us probably would call a Frisbee: Flying Disc (Ring) - Toys - Paper CraftCanon CREATIVE PARK. The designer is Minya, who previously has done lots of flower models for Canon, but apparently nothing else that flies. The "airfoil" seems to be symmetric, so I've no idea how well it does fly, and I doubt that even 110-pound paper would make it durable. Nevertheless, it seems to be simple to build and I can imagine many young boys having fun with it.

With all this manual labor, I may not make it out of retirement alive.
Google Adsense