PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Kit Reviews > Freshly Unpacked

Old 07-14-2011, 12:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.44 MB
F-15's from Modelart

Yay!

Yesterday, the two F-15's I ordered from Modelart arrived at my doorstep. I believe it took less than 3 weeks to arrive, as it was sent out on 6/24 (?). Really quick shipping. I would also like to comment on Modelart's service - It has some great service! Whenever I send inquiries regarding their models and such, I always get quick, and well thought out responses that provide full answers. Big thanks to them!

The packaging was excellent, it came in a vessel about the size of an A3 sheet. The two models were stacked to fit, and there were cardboard reinforcements in place.

As for the printing, both sport spectacular print quality. There are a few little nit picks I have, mainly that the F-15C model parts look washed out as compared to the F-15E's parts. The washed out look can be seen on the cover of the F-15C as well. If it was meant to be printed as such, then I withdraw my nit pick.

The F-15E's pieces are gorgeous as well - especially the metal printed parts! Only complaint on the F-15E is that the first page that contains only one piece (largest piece in the model) has some considerable amount of color streaking. I found it kind of odd, since other large pieces within the F-15E copy don't have the similar streaking. I wasn't going to bring it up, but I had originally planned to build the F-15E for a contest/conference, and the streaking made me list it as a personal model that I'll just keep to myself.

As for both of the models' quality, I would say top notch - even though I've never built one before Now the question is which to build first?
Attached Thumbnails
F-15's from Modelart-113_6650.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-14-2011, 12:42 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Go with the mudhen! You hardly ever see someone do the E model.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 07-14-2011, 01:51 PM

Mudhen? *Googles Mudhen* Ohhh...

Actually, I would have to disagree with you there. Since I laid eyes on this kit, and got the electronic copies, I've been searching other paper modeling forums to find builds of any of the F-15's from Modelart. What I found was several F-15E builds, one F-15I, and no F-15C's.
Then again, I may not be looking hard enough and am probably wrong.

Nonetheless, I think I'll try the F-15E as the ordinance appeals to me :D

Last edited by The Orange; 07-14-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
hi apple

try this link for the F15C-model, publisher Halinski:
Halinski F-15C Eagle 2-3/2002(fertig) - Abgeschlossene Bauberichte / Finished construction reports - Kartonbau.de - Alles rund ums Kartonmodell

regards
Klaus
Old 07-14-2011, 02:06 PM

Hi Klaus,

Yup, I've seen that thread before - maybe I should have clarified myself earlier, my bad.

What I meant was I was looking for F-15 Modelart builds. I did come across GPM and Halinski F-15's but I still believe Modelart really has this one.

Although, thanks for reminding me that was there, it really is an excellent build!
Google Adsense
Old 07-14-2011, 02:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 209.22 MB
Hello The Orange,

When you never build a Zarkow-Model before, then perhaps i'm allowed to give you some hints.

I've not great references for building Zarkow's Models (The detailed versions of DAR 21 and of the HEMS helicopter).

Zarkow Models are constructed very exactly. Take your time to fit the parts in and on the model. Always several times without glue until your are shure to have the perfekt fitness. It seems to me that Dr.Zarkow likes it to make less parts even for complicated curves (the bending and forming of the paper itself by fixing it at several lines or points , so is my impression, is intended by the constructor).

Dr. Zarkow is in my eyes a minimalist in constructing formers. For wings for example, the formers get their full stabilitiy when glueing the hull over it and vice versa, so the handling isn't as easy with a lot of formers in other kits.

And last not least in the near future i will build the F15-C...

greetings
peaceglue
Old 07-14-2011, 02:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.62 GB
My only caution is to follow Dr. Zarkov's guidance for thickness of the frame parts. If you use the commonly used 1mm you will have fit problems. I had best results with a total thickness of 0.7-0.8 mm. Since you have the printed kits just use the material provided; it is the perfect thickness. The frame structure is easily twisted before skinning so be sure everything is straight when you put the skin on. The wing and center fuselage assembly is very strong once it is skinned. Dr. Z's F-15 models are exceptionally nice and the F-15B Bicentennial repaint done by AirDave is quite striking but not available as a printed model.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:00 PM

Thanks Peaceglue, I'll keep that it mind while I'm building. I tried Dr. Zarkov's P-51D (some of it) and got a feel for the design philosophy. I actually prefer his designs, and all they need is some realistic recolors to really push the designs to the top. (Still, the artwork looks great).

YankeeBoy, I do plan to use the card Modelart has provided. It seems like a really high 0.5 mm or 0.6 mm. As for the twisting, what exactly twists? The instructions call to attention an "eventual twisting of the airframe". When I built a quick test of the F-15C's wing frames, nothing twisted, so I'm not sure what's twisting.

AirDave's repaint looks great, and I plan to get one after I'm done with these two.

From what you've said, and the advice you've given, I'm going to assume you've built one of the Modelart F-15's (?). If so, I would greatly appreciate any pointers and tips once I get started. The surplus of pictures the included build threads have are helpful, but I might run into technical problems that can't be explained through photos.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.62 GB
It will not twist if care is used in handling during the skinning process. When I built my first wing (electronic version) I did not pay enough attention keeping the wing assembly flat while skinning and this resulted in a slight twist to the whole assembly when viewed from the side. There is nothing wrong with the model design - it was the builder (me) not going slowly and carefully. Since you have built his P-51D you should have no trouble with either of your F-15s.

I will confess that I did not finish it (got distracted by newer projects) but it still waits for me on my shelf.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.32 GB
Where can you purchase these

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange View Post
Yay!

Yesterday, the two F-15's I ordered from Modelart arrived at my doorstep. I believe it took less than 3 weeks to arrive, as it was sent out on 6/24 (?). Really quick shipping. I would also like to comment on Modelart's service - It has some great service! Whenever I send inquiries regarding their models and such, I always get quick, and well thought out responses that provide full answers. Big thanks to them!
Do you have a website to purchase these models? Thanks
Google Adsense