PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Kit Reviews > Freshly Unpacked

Old 02-07-2012, 02:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Betexa order

I recently revisited Betexa's website www.Betexa.cz. Se veral years ago, I placed some orders with them, and the only problem encountered was due to our own customs service, which badly mangled one of the shipments, and I was overall satisfied with the purchases. To my surprise, they have considerably expanded the scope of their offerings, now including models from Orlik, Schreiber-Bogen, Instant Durable, and some other Czech publishers. So, in short, I placed an order with them for several Ripper Works kits and an HO scale sidewheel tugboat. Base cost of the kits was quite cheap...and, after the 20% VAT and postage were tacked on, still reasonable. Postage for six kits amounted to a bit over $20 US, which isn't all that bad for a package coming from Europe (you don't even want to know what it cost me to ship an Amiga 4000 from Germany). Total price for the transaction was about 1700 czk. Seeing four figures for a model purchase is a bit stomach-wrenching, but since a czk is only a bit more than a US nickel, not enough to start considering a second mortgage.

One note about Ripper Works....they put out a terrific line of models of heavy trucks and transport trailers, with about equal split between military and civil subjects. They are typically 1:32 scale, but enlarge quite nicely to 1:24 (but take up lots of shelf space at that scale). I first ran across their kits when some of them were included in an estate sale purchase I made. I am jumping up and down with joy finally having a source for them where the postal cost doesn't exceed the kit price.

The downside of all this is that I have decimated my modeling budget for the month....sorry 'bout that, Chris. I guess I now start the long wait for the postman. As I remember from prior purchases, that should be two or three weeks. I'll post some pics when the package arrives.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
I've been eyeing up Ripper Works models for a couple of years but have yet to commit - very keen to see your 'inbox review' on arrival and hopefully a build review soon...
Old 02-07-2012, 09:36 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Any support for the hobby is great - thats what its all about! Cant wait to see something built! I have not heard of Ripper Works, will have to check it out! Thanks for sharing the link with us
Chris
Old 02-07-2012, 10:03 PM

SJP, this link has some pics of the RW models I scored in the estate sale box, enlarged to 24 scale. Construction Scene Although Betexa has the entire Ripper Works line of models shown, it appears that several of the older kits are sold out. I can't wait to get my hands on the vehicle recovery truck...it looks to be awesome, and well worth the 295 Czk price tag, even if it is only 1:32. These pics should be proof of how well the kits stand up to enlargement....they went together with zero fit problems. And the poseable front wheels are awesome. I highly recommend trying them out while they are still available. When my paper model allowance refills, I'm thinking of picking up the hydroelectric plant kit Betexa has in the buildings section of their offerings.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Nice work in the construction scene thread - that truck and trailer set is one of the ones I have been eyeing up...am teetering on the brink of acquisition now...
Google Adsense
Old 02-07-2012, 11:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 58.50 MB
Quote:
after the 20% VAT and postage were tacked on
Watch for this when placing orders in the EU. Since they were supplying to a non-EU destination they should not have charged VAT. Some traders are a bit naughty that way (or perhaps just unaware). Caveat emptor (Let the buyer beware).
Old 02-10-2012, 12:36 PM

It looks as if the Betexa order is not to be. A week passed without seeing any activity on my credit card for the purchase. After going back to the Betexa website and thoroughly surfing their home page, I ran across an obscure corner of their site that stated the credit card payment option is not available....however, apparently that piece of information has not been applied to their checkout page. I found some of the models I wanted listed in GPMs offerings, but the checkout page seems pretty well limited to purchases originating in Poland....at least that is my assumption, as the translator function of my browser doesn't extend to that page of their website.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Last few orders i've place through Orlik:

Orlik Model Kartonowy, Sklep internetowy

No problems at all. Though both them and GPM seem to prefer Paypal.

Tim
Old 04-03-2012, 05:18 PM

Update. Since my last posting, I've sent emails to GPM describing the order I wished to make, and have received no (read that as zero) replies. On 3/24, I received a response from Betexa regarding my inquiry on how to place an order with them...since then, have sent emails detailing my desired order, but have not received response. Yesterday, I emailed Orlik regarding the order. This afternoon, I had an email from them giving amount, shipping options, and Paypal contact info. By the time I gave up on the competition, they had sold out of the Dana, but had most of the wanted kits still in stock. Payment sent this PM. The cost of the models was on a par with what GPM was wanting, a bit more than Betexa's, but not horrendously so. Shipping was quite reasonable...surface mailing cost was about what I would expect to see on a domestic order of the same size. Since expedited shipping only added a few dollars extra and I would rather delivery occur in weeks rather than months, I opted for the airmail; still less than $15 shipping for five kits, which is very reasonable. I would have gone to Orlik sooner had I known they had expanded their inventory to include several other publishing houses. The last time I looked, they carried only their own line of kits. Not that I have anything against Orlik kits...quite the opposite, but I have been able to satisfy my habit for their brand through domestic sources. One feature I really like about their present estore is they tell you how many copies of the kit they have in stock, which is a great help when whittling down the want alligator want list to match the hummingbird budget. In any event, I will post an update when the shipment arrives. In the interim, I requested that Orlik join our forum if not already a member and toot their own horn a bit about what they offer.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Glad things seem to be working out with Orlik.

They are increasing there range all the time.

Tim
Google Adsense