PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Kit Reviews > Freshly Unpacked

Old 05-15-2012, 04:44 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
RipperWorks RW22 "DANA" Wheeled 152 mm Gun/Howitzer in 1:32

Thanks to Slawomir Wojick at Kartonmodellshop, I have just received my eagerly-awaited copy of RipperWorks "ShKH vz.77 "DANA" wheeled 152/155 mm gun/howitzer in 1:32 scale.

First of all: Slawomir: Thank you for the prompt and excellent service! My order arrived in 10 days, by registered mail, complete, and undamaged due to the thorough and thoughtful packaging! I will definitely be back to order some more items from you!!

Now, to the model.

1. Background

Wikipedia states:
"The Dělo Automobilní Nabíjené Automaticky (self-propelled auto-loading gun), also known as Samohybná Kanónová Húfnica vzor 77 (ShKH-77) (self-propelled gun howitzer model 77) was designed by Konštrukta Trenčín and built by ZTS Dubnica and Váhom in the former Czechoslovakia (now Slovakia) as the first wheeled 152 mm self-propelled artillery gun to enter service. It was introduced in the 1970s. It is based on a modified 8x8 Tatra 813 chassis with excellent cross-country mobility. Currently it is in service with the Czech Republic, Libya, Poland, Georgia and Slovakia.
Wheeled vehicles have the advantage of being cheaper to build and easier to maintain with greater mobility. Tire pressure can be regulated to allow good mobility off-road and there is power-assisted steering on the front four wheels. It lowers 3 hydraulic stabilizers into the ground prior to firing, and has a roof mounted crane to assist with ammunition loading.
The crew of the DANA consists of the driver (operates the hydraulic stabilizers) and commander sitting in the front cabin, the gunner (aims the gun and opens fire) and loader operator (selects the appropriate amount of powder charges) are on the left side of the turret, the ammo handler (sets the shells' primers) is on the right side of the turret."--Wikipedia
When SLOVAKIA joined NATO, their DANAS were converted to 155 mm NATO and were called "SUZANA".--JR

2. The Kit

As most of you folks know by now, I love Eastern European (and/or former WarPac) Armour and also like to work in +/- 1:35 scale so as to be able to incorporate figures into whatever display of the model that I can. When Slawomir offered this 1:32 kit for sale, it was a "must buy" for me!!
When I first discovered card modeling in the late '90s, I loved the beautiful Avia 530 that Ripper offered as a free model.....Ahem...

The DANA model comes as a very well printed 18-page double-sided booklet on 9" x 12.25 " stock. ( European: ?) No parts overlap the fold in the booklet!!!

This is a big model:
Length 355 mm (14.25 in)
Width 90 mm ( +/- 4 in)

There are 4 1/2 pages of Czech building instructions (paper), 5 pages of building diagrams(paper) and 1/4 page of templates (paper) for the various wire/detail parts that are required. (The rest of the back cover advertises other models)
The remaining pages are parts, ( approx 2000 parts!!!) digitally printed on 0.16 mm cardstock ready for the usual " laminating, folding, spindling and mutilating"

The photographs of the finished model are STUNNING!!

There is a complete interior, including ammo storage; engine; working hatches; elevating gun; AA MG etc etc. There is enough detail in this model to keep even your humble scribe outta trouble for a long time !!

This one I am gonna build right off the page, slowly and carefully. But, If I were you, I'd order TWO copies: This baby is headed for CLASSIC status! My order for a second copy is en route!!

(BTW: JADARMODEL has a 1:35 resin version of this puppy that sells for about $US400.)
MTF
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
RipperWorks RW22 "DANA" Wheeled  152 mm Gun/Howitzer in 1:32-rw-dana-1.jpg  

Last edited by Fishcarver; 05-15-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 05-15-2012, 06:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Fishcarver, it's going to be an interesting watch. If I ever get the waterfowl all aligned, I plan on doing the RW Tatra AV-15...but not in 1:32. Fortunately, RW kits take very kindly to enlargement to 1:24 scale. Hit the parts pages with 133% enlargement and they fit very nicely on US tabloid size. Lots easier on aging eyeballs and hands. The last kit I tried building at 1:32, the carpet ate half the pieces...and my building area has a bare cement floor!!!
Old 05-15-2012, 07:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
I personally can't normally see beauty in armoured vehicles but this is a good exception. It seems like an excellent kit and I wish you the best of luck on the build
Old 05-15-2012, 07:35 PM
Eternal Member

Expect nothing further until at least September!!
Jim
Old 05-15-2012, 10:58 PM

Enlarging Ripper Works

I can vouch for the ability to enlarge Ripper Works kits to 1:24 effectively.

I did a long build report on the Liaz TBV truck in the "the other place".

RipperWorks RW22 "DANA" Wheeled  152 mm Gun/Howitzer in 1:32-page_18.jpg

RipperWorks RW22 "DANA" Wheeled  152 mm Gun/Howitzer in 1:32-page_17.jpg

D
Google Adsense
Old 05-16-2012, 03:08 PM
Eternal Member

Exclamation Small Correction to my Description!!

All of the cardstock (parts) pages are printed on single-sided stock...Here's a shot!

And yes, there are 1950+ parts...... Good for our soggy winter days in "Canada's Hawaii" :-)
Attached Thumbnails
RipperWorks RW22 "DANA" Wheeled  152 mm Gun/Howitzer in 1:32-rw-dana_some-2k-plus.jpg  

Last edited by Fishcarver; 05-16-2012 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Correction/addition
Old 05-16-2012, 03:40 PM

Ouch, that's a lot of parts to the page.

D
Old 05-16-2012, 03:55 PM
Eternal Member

...and I love it!!
JR
Old 05-16-2012, 06:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Fishcarver, have you invested in a jewler's loup?
Old 05-16-2012, 10:23 PM
Eternal Member

Unhappy Not Blind but don't see too good anymore.....

Darwin: Yes, and an Ultravisor.....and a psychiatrist......

Jim

PS: It beats scratchbuilding all of those psh(eep)y little parts!! (like those 1:200 triple-25s on I-400).....

PPS: Paul's Law: "It can't fall off the floor"
Auntie Emm the Kat's Corollary: "If it is on the floor, a kat can make it vanish."

PPPS: From a former infantryman's perspective, armoured vehicles are only beautiful if THEY BELONG TO YOUR SIDE OF THE BEEF!!

Last edited by Fishcarver; 05-16-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Google Adsense