PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Kit Reviews > Freshly Unpacked

Old 12-18-2012, 08:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
GPM shows the predicted rate of postage when you make an order but, in my experience, only charges actual cost...
Old 12-18-2012, 09:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 481.4 KB
Interesting addendum: One model USS Ward shipping is 17 zloty. One Wittman Tiger L tank shipping 17 zloty. One each USS Ward and Wittman Tiger = 46 zloty? What? Almost thirty percentmore cost to ship together than separately?

Say it ain't so Joe!
Old 12-19-2012, 01:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbsargent View Post
Interesting addendum: One model USS Ward shipping is 17 zloty. One Wittman Tiger L tank shipping 17 zloty. One each USS Ward and Wittman Tiger = 46 zloty? What? Almost thirty percentmore cost to ship together than separately?

Say it ain't so Joe!
The combined weight might take the postage cost up to the next level.

Used to exchange plastic kits with a pen-pal in Czechoslovakia. It often worked out cheaper to send kits separately than combined.

Generally I find postage is about 4 euros for a few kits

Tim
Old 12-19-2012, 02:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.64 MB
Shipping from Japan has same problem, if you jump from small packet to full size the jump can be huge.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPONeill View Post
GPM shows the predicted rate of postage when you make an order but, in my experience, only charges actual cost...
This is my experience with GPM as well. Usually quoted shipping costs are exorbitant until the parcel is sent then GPM provides a refund of the overage back to you.

Orlik also provides an estimated shipping cost and usually more in tune with reality. I did have a quote for shipping from them that was high once and they refunded the difference similar to GPM.

Greg
Old 12-21-2012, 05:42 PM

@Modelperry- ahh, that is good to know. I wsa wondering if that was the case, as their website seems to indicate it might be, but knowing from someone else's experience goes a long way to alay the fear of being overcharged.

A big "Thanks" to those who have cleared this up!

vbsargent
Old 12-21-2012, 07:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Just as a bit of an update to the Orlik experience. Orlik now has its shopping cart up and working for foreign orders. It works similarly to GPMs....it seems to default to the maximum shipping cost for a single item, then multiplying that amount by the number of kits in the order to determine how much it will charge your credit card (or paypal), then refunding the difference between the hellatious initial charge and the actual amount. That is ok, but I'm not real long on trust anymore, and prefer having some idea as to what the actual cost will be before committing funds. And, all things considered, I would rather have the difference staying in my own bank account accruing interest for me (however miniscule that may be) rather than for paypal. I just made a single kit purchase, for which the initially charged shipping was about $10, and after refund about $7.50. I don't mind having a few of my dollars floating in the paypal account; however, for giggles and grins, I entered a larger (10 kit) order into their shopping cart; the difference between the estimated shipping cost and actual shipping I've paid for similar orders was in exceess of $30. I'm seriously hoping that Orlik will continue the practice of calculating an exact shipping cost via email prior to our committing money for the purchase. In addition, the automatic cart does not provide a mechanism for identifying and billing promotional models (the 1 Zl Orlik kit when order value exceeds 200 Zl); I suppose that would also be corrected via refund. And, as a final note, Orlik informed me that on Jan 1 Poland Postal department is putting in place a complete overhaul of its pricing structure, and Orlik still doesn't know what the new rules are going to be. (Gee, this sounds familiar, doesn't it?) Bottom line is that whatever the new rules are going to be, they are not likely to be as reasonable as at present....so, if you are contemplating a larger order from them in the near future, it would be best to make it in the next few days rather than waiting until after the new year.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Orlik do seem to be going the extra mile in helping overseas customers.

I particularly like the option like the currency change option, whern looking at prices.

Tim
Old 12-26-2012, 09:04 PM

Well I took the plunge and ordered two kits form Orlik. They estimated that the shipping will be around $15 US. We'll see how long it takes to get to MD and how much the shipping actually costs. Overall I'm very pleased witht the Orlik website. And if GPM is actually cheaper in shipping than they state, this might open up a new source for models to me. One of the main deterrants to ordering from GPM was that the estimated shipping costs was more than the cost of several models: they estimate 81 zl or $26 for shipping, model costs were 51 zl and 50 zl! Of course if they end up refunding the difference that makes it better, but Orlik is a little more competitive with their estimates. I would rather be charged less and refunded less.

vbsargent
Old 12-26-2012, 10:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
I have hit a problem with my most recent order from Orlik....and it is not Orlik's fault. Having a bit of money left over in the monthly budget, I placed a larger order with them, using the automated cart. The shipping cost came up as 200 Zl. After the transaction was processed by Orlik, they refunded me 130 Zl on the postage (plus an additional 20 Zl on the promotional model cost). Per the Paypal transaction record, Paypal received and accepted the 150 Zl refund, then put a hold on placing the money in my Paypal account while they "review" the transaction, with a notice that they would 'shortly' send me an email to provide details on why they are sitting on the refunded amount. Two full working days have passed since then with no explanation from Paypal, no movement on the "holding" status. As is par anymore with on-line services, Paypal makes it nearly impossible to actually discuss a problem with one of their employees, but tomorrow I will see if I can actually talk with someone about getting the refunded $51 US of my money freed up so I can actually have use of it. The moral of the story....if using Paypal, don't use the Orlik shopping cart, but email Orlik for an exact price quote for your order and manually process the payment. Better yet, if you can, bypass Paypal and make the transaction directly by credit card.