PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Kit Reviews > Freshly Unpacked

Old 05-16-2009, 03:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.24 GB
M-16 Multiple Gun Motor Carriage, Halftrack WAK 1/25

History...
M-16 Multiple Gun Motor Carriage, Halftrack

The Multiple Gun Motor Carriage (MGMC), Halftrack, M16 was based on the reliable M3 Halftrack chassis. The M16 carried the Quad-50 antiaircraft machine guns, consisting of four M2 HB .50 cal. machine guns in the electrically powered M45 turret. The rear box side armor panels had a hinged upper section, with a centered notch to allow the guns to fire horizontally when the armor was raised.

A total of 2,877 M16 Halftracks were produced in 1943-1944. As noted on the Quad-50 antiaircraft machine gun page, some units created their own "M16B" by bolting Quad-50 mounts taken from trailers to halftracks.

The 9.5 ton vehicle was powered by a White 160AX 6 cyl. 128 hp gasoline engine that moved it at up to 40mph on the road. They were used in World War II and the Korean War for air defense and infantry support. It was superceded by the M-19A1 Twin 40mm Gun Carriage and the M42 gun carriage (Duster).

The kit..
Publisher.. WAK
Designer.. M. Kita
Sheets with parts..14
Assembly diagrams/steps.. 76
Instructions.. Polish only

Conclusion..
This is the first WAK kit I've owned.. The graphics are high quality. IMO on par with the newer Orlik & Modelik kits that I have, with all the interior details. Not sure of what unit it is suppose to represent, but I seem to recall seeing it mention that this was attached to a Polish combat group??? I also have the laser frames & track accessories. I got my copy from The Paper Model store. Great service as always. Paper Model Store

Some random images of the kit..
Attached Thumbnails
M-16 Multiple Gun Motor Carriage, Halftrack  WAK 1/25-sun26-002.jpg   M-16 Multiple Gun Motor Carriage, Halftrack  WAK 1/25-sun31-001.jpg   M-16 Multiple Gun Motor Carriage, Halftrack  WAK 1/25-sun31-002.jpg   M-16 Multiple Gun Motor Carriage, Halftrack  WAK 1/25-sun31-003.jpg   M-16 Multiple Gun Motor Carriage, Halftrack  WAK 1/25-sun31-004.jpg  

M-16 Multiple Gun Motor Carriage, Halftrack  WAK 1/25-sun26-001.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-16-2009, 05:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Hi Peter,

Looks like a ripper of a kit all right. I built Tamiyas' 1/35th scale styrene offering many moons ago with Eduards 2 PE kits that they used to have for it, looking at the page with all those spokes for the sprocket wheels, I know you will have fun with that one. The PE ones in 1/35th just about drove me nuts.

As a side note, about five years ago at the Soldier of Fortune Machine Gun shoot held out at the NRA range here in Vegas, I ponied up the dollars to have a seat in a completely refurbished one and let fly with about 150 rounds. Needless to say, I had a grin for about a week that a two by four couldn't remove. It was a buck a shot with proceeds going to the NRA Legislative Fund. I have also seen a USMC Duster at one of the many gunshows that are held here, it was part of the WWII Vehicle Associations' display that they had in the back of the hall. They wouldn't even let us play with that one or even get up on the tracks to take a peek inside the armored tub the gun sat in darn it.

Looking forward to watching you work out on this one.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
It will almost certainly be a unit with a Polish connection. I believe that is true for all of the WAK armor kits coming out of US armor.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
The M16 model certainly represents a vehicle of the 1st Polish Armoured Division in 1944-45. The divisional symbol, a representation of the Polish Hussars feathered "wings", is consistent with this. I don't know enough about British army markings to decode the regimental and unit markings.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 05-16-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieC View Post
The M16 model certainly represents a vehicle of the 1st Polish Armoured Division in 1944-45. The divisional symbol, a representation of the Polish Hussars feathered "wings", is consistent with this. I don't know enough about British army markings to decode the regimental and unit markings.

Regards,

Charlie
Thank you all for the info... By the time I get around to starting this, I'll probably be speaking and reading Polish... I plan on getting the WAK "White Scout Car" & "M3 Stuart" whenever PM Store gets them in. I would like to have them in the pile for "whenever I have the urge" hits..
Google Adsense
Old 05-17-2009, 01:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
Peter.

You beat me this is going to be my next purchase. How is the coloring?

One of my offices on my last job was located next to the Van Nuys Airport in Southern California. At the end of the street was the 94th Aero squadron restaurant and watering hole and on Tuesday evening we would have an Impromptu sales meeting in the bar. One evening there was a M16 Wasp parked out front that had been driven to the restaurantby the owner. The vehicle was perfectly restored complete down to ammo boxes, First Aid kit and boot legging for the crew. The owner said that he was a WWII reenactor and the M16 was licensed to drive on the street.

Jim Nunn
Old 05-17-2009, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Nunn View Post
Peter.

You beat me this is going to be my next purchase. How is the coloring?
Jim Nunn
Hi Jim..
I think the coloring and registration is first class. Have included a few more closeups of different details. The coloring is darker then what is appearing on my screen, but probably due to the light I had shining on the pages.. How about a review on your "Sd.Kfz.138 Marder III Ausf.H..
Attached Thumbnails
M-16 Multiple Gun Motor Carriage, Halftrack  WAK 1/25-dsc03971.jpg   M-16 Multiple Gun Motor Carriage, Halftrack  WAK 1/25-dsc03972.jpg   M-16 Multiple Gun Motor Carriage, Halftrack  WAK 1/25-dsc03973.jpg  
Old 05-17-2009, 06:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
I remember firing an M2 .50 cal back in 1965 when I was around 11 years old. It was at Ft. Sill, Oklahoma during a night exercise for some artillery support troops gearing up to go to some place called Viet Nam. My father was EOD that worked with that unit before so I got a chance to watch the night exercise. Purty neet. :D

Shooting a quad .50 would really rock yer socks.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
I think I've got a bit more of the vehicle ident - the Polish text translates as - "The model presented in the book presents the 3 vehicle with 2 Squadron 1 bater Pulku Artylerij Przeciwiotniczej."

Assuming the non-translated part is a unit name - the rest of it sounds like normal British army organisation. That is -
1st Battery, 2nd Squadron, vehicle 3.

The text confirms it is the 1st Polish Armoured Division in Germany 1945.

I think the text also comments that the camouflage pattern is the "mickey mouse" pattern applied towards the end of the war.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 05-17-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieC View Post
I think I've got a bit more of the vehicle ident - the Polish text translates as - "The model presented in the book presents the 3 vehicle with 2 Squadron 1 bater Pulku Artylerij Przeciwiotniczej."

Assuming the non-translated part is a unit name - the rest of it sounds like normal British army organisation. That is -
1st Battery, 2nd Squadron, vehicle 3.

The text confirms it is the 1st Polish Armoured Division in Germany 1945.

I think the text also comments that the camouflage pattern is the "mickey mouse" pattern applied towards the end of the war.

Regards,

Charlie
Thanks Charlie and everyone.. one of the great things about posting kit reviews, is all the great extra info/imput you get back, that you would not have known if you hadn't posted the review.. So people.. post more reviews.
Google Adsense