PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Kit Reviews > Freshly Unpacked

Old 08-17-2009, 05:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Modelik A7V

There is a build thread of the older Modelcard A7V on this forum. I thought it might be interesting to review the reworked A7V model now published by Modelik.

The A7V was built in response to the British use of tanks in 1916 at the end of the Somme offensive. The design was similar to the early French tanks and was based on Holt suspension with an armoured box constructed on top of the suspension. The A7V was powered by 2 Daimler engines and had a top speed twice that of the British tanks (about 12 km/hr). The hull was heavily armoured (for the period) with 20-30mm armour thickness. The A7V wasn't successful because the high centre of gravity and low ground clearance gave poor rough field performance. Only 20 A7Vs were completed as tanks, these were deployed in 1918 with unimpressive results.

The model depicts A7V #504 "Schnuck" - this was captured by the British in August 1918, taken to the UK and scrapped in the 1920s. A replica of "Schnuck" has been completed recently - there are a number of YouTube videos of this vehicle.

The Modelik A7V comes in A3 format - some of the parts are larger than A4 dimensions. The booklet contains:

1 page of description and instructions
1 page 3-view drawing of the A7V model
1 page of construction drawings - these are well executed but are limited to the "difficult" areas of the model
2 pages of 80 gsm frame parts.
6 pages of parts on 180/200 gsm

The camouflage is a 4-colour scheme typical of A7Vs. The printed colours are a pink colour, grey-green, brown and charcoal. After a bit of research I found that Modelik has had another colour issue - more likely is the colour scheme pale ochre, grey, brown, green (see image).

The model has been completely computer redrawn and the printing is as good as any other publisher. It looks to me that the model will go together well although I'm not sure I can handle the colours - I can see a recolour of scans is in order

Regards,

Charlie

The cover image is from Moduni's site (the Modelik one isn't working), the parts page is from Modelik's site, the colour profile is from a TBiU publication.
Attached Thumbnails
Modelik A7V-a7v.jpg   Modelik A7V-a7v1.jpg   Modelik A7V-a7v_colour.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-17-2009, 09:09 PM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
I wonder if Modelik will replace the pages with the color off like they did for the Scud launcher interior bits?
Old 08-17-2009, 09:29 PM

It would be nice if they did. The replica "Schnuck" is painted in the colours I suggest for the Modelik A7V so there may be some argument that the Modelik take on the colours isn't right. I'd like Modelik to do the same for the St Chamond as well since that's clearly an error.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 08-17-2009, 09:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks for this review, Charlie. Excellent and informative, as always.

Don
Old 08-17-2009, 10:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Is it possible that the pink is actually the more accurate colour?
I know pinks and purples make surprisingly effective camouflage shades, but are often neglected as not 'brutal' enough. Look at late Luftwaffe colours, and the Have Blue prototype.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:48 PM

It's possible but, I feel, not likely for the A7Vs. When Mephisto got to Brisbane it was noted as being the colour of dried grass which could be interpreted as weathered pale ochre - Mephisto didn't get to Australia until 1919 so it had probably been sitting in the weather for at least a year.

There's a walkaround of Mephisto at A7V-Mephisto Walk Around Page 1 - Peter Battle is another AMMS denizen. You can see the problems of getting good images through the glass enclosure.

I agree pink is often an overlooked but effective camouflage colour. British Army tanks in North Africa were painted a "desert pink" colour which was pretty effective.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 08-19-2009, 04:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Some of the ground attack aircraft (ex. Jaguar) in the first Gulf war also had a pink-like color.