PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Fine Scale Paper Modelers > FSPM Lounge

Old 12-20-2010, 07:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Having been member of IPMS Finland and a hangaround member FCMA (Finnis Car Modelers Association) the latter is more tolerant when it comes to modeling materials - anything goes because there's a strong scratch building culture.
I think the 'merge' will only happen if IPMS would agree to drop the letter P from their name. That would be something and I might join again. My two cents.

Tappi
Old 12-20-2010, 09:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 13.79 MB
I'm a member of the local IPMS as well (Ocala,Florida).
I bring more of my paper models to the meetings than my plastic models. There are members who also show their wood models, model trains, and vintage plane or car photos. We even have some junior members who bring in stuff made from Lego, Tinkertoy, or whatever else the constructive toy is made from. And we all enjoy it.

I understand the arguement about keeping the "P" in IPMS for plastic. But here at Papermodelers.com, we have a forum called "other things we do and make" where we enjoy things that don't involve paper models.
So why don't we just suggest to IPMS to have an "alternative material" catagory in their contests where they can be judged separately by their own standards, and still enjoyed by all who are interested?

Chris (to make you laugh):
I once went to a "modeling" show to look at some builds. But when I got there, all I saw was a bunch of fancy dressed people walking around on a stage!
Old 12-20-2010, 10:28 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
heh heh - I like it - funny stuff! lots of plastic on that stage too I bet! HAH!

They already have that category - its called miscellaneous Its where we fit for the time being.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
IPMS DOES need us! In this soft economy, any way for IPMS to gain members and grow needs to be explored. Personally, I never joined the main IPMS organization until I switched to paper. Now I am more active in the overall organization and am now a "member-at-large" in my local IPMS club which I had stopped going to when plastic modeling started loosing its luster.

I have never found any opposition to my paper models during any meeting or in any contest. I have become somewhat known for my work in the tristate area (PA, MD, WV) such that a few guys I only see at contests say "there's the paper guy" when I show up. Also, I have ALWAYS been asked for building advice by those who have one or two paper kits and aren't sure how to go about building them.

It really bugs me when someone shows themselves to be a "medium bigot". A model is a model regardless of what you use to build it. The national board of IPMS does know this. As for changing the name from IPMS to IMS: not gonna happen. It is far too expensive for IPMS to change their logo on all published materials. Besides I would rather see IPMS pump their money into the things that matter, and a name DOES NOT matter in this case.

Now, everyone here is what must be done to grow paper modeling within IPMS:

1. Regularly attend local club meetings
2. Regularly attend contests in your region. (IPMS, AMPS and model car shows). You don't have to compete if you don;t want to, just set up a display.
3. Join the national IPMS organization.
4. After joining the national organization, WRITE REVIEWS for the website. I do this somewhat regularly. Also, my review of GPM's Sd.kfz. 8 has one of the higher hit counts in the IPMS website review pages. Somebody MUST be interested!

Greg
Old 12-20-2010, 01:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
In Finland the situation is that nobody needs IPMS. A new site was put up three years ago and has collected pretty much all the audience there is in active modeling. The was a landslide from the old IPMS forum to this new community. But I guess this issue varies from country to country.
All great things start from the margins. Paper modeling is marginal when compared to the mainstream. Miscellaneous my ...! You guys need to start a revolution! Join all IPMS clubs there are available and hijack the society from inside - and then drop the P like they pull statues down IRL. ;-)
Google Adsense
Old 12-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Yeah I plan on hitting the ipms meetings and stuff a lot more once I get some of my other current initiatives out of the way. You guys hit that on the head. I can get one heck of a nice table setup with all these models I have on hand now
Chris
Old 12-20-2010, 04:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
What's in a name?

IPMS as an organization that has a history & an tradition that predates the internet and easy, high-speed communications. It has changed & adapted over time though perhaps not as fast as some would wish - and there is still room to grow. For example, the "plastic" component of a model is no longer an issue as all materials are officially allowed in contests.

My perspective comes from being a member since 1976 and seeing the benefit of 'working as an organized group'. Of course, I have seen my share of both sides of the intolerance fence, from the IPMS 'geek' who is disrespectful of other's work and those who jump ship because they are dissatisfied with how they were "treated" at contests. In all this fracas, the main point is lost or obscured - scale modeling. Granted, IPMS is not a society of sculptors or painters, but scale modelers. The predominate medium for this work is currently commercially produced plastic kits, which are themselves changing due to the influence of the resin and photoetch manufacturers as well as the demands of the modelers themselves (more complexity, accuracy, finer detail, better engineering, etc.) Changes in the market and the demographics of the plastic kit industry have wrought a sea change akin to the railroading hobby with expensive manufactured goods and a jungle of niche aftermarket products aimed at the mature modeler.

So, what is my point? Evolution, my dear pulpers. Just as paper modeling has been 'reborn' with the advent of the personal computer and the internet, so has all scale modeling undergone change. As 'paper' modelers, it should not be a "poke in your eye" that IPMS stands for I-Plastic-MS. Rather it should be a reference to a long tradition of growth, empowerment, sharing and union within one corner of the craft in which we all enjoy "playing". Perhaps in the not too far ahead days, the "P" will become "precision" or will be replaced with an "S" for "scale". I care not which, just that the Society’s (overall) wonderful community (yes, even the thorny curmudgeons) continues to nurture the craft just as it has done for me. For me, it is about the art of the modeler, the MkI precision eyeball that guides the fumbling hand with shaking knife, brush or pencil into the construction of a jewel-like wonder, a miniature of reality that can be hoisted up and squinted at in recollection of young joys of creation and fun.

If I lost anyone in this, I apologize in my failure to clearly communicate, as is the curse of most of us.
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale
Old 12-20-2010, 05:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Smile

Again, it come to participation. The more of us participate in IPMS event , the more it will be accepted. However, and her I go again, if we really are to be a truly integrated member of the IPMS, they will have to drop the P in IPMS or have the P stand for something else ( pragmatic, pretty good, part time, etc... - joking ).

As others noted. If you bring your paper models to your club meetings, shows, event, everyone loves it. I never had any issues. I would like to get that acceptance officially at the National IPMS conventions with categories that recognize other than plastic as a medium. It is not common to find an official category. At best, there is the "other" category.

Cheers

Isaac
Old 12-20-2010, 05:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 417.89 MB
The p is a soft p in IPMS as other materials models can be submitted to competitions but while it is still present in the title, it will still be used by traditionalists as a justification for rejecting paper models as a serious modelling medium. One way to help overturn this view is to win the best of show at a national level. Some of the models I've seen are absolutely amazing so it is possible given the right kit, the right builder and a open minded judging system.

In the absence of a bigger scale modeller society, then this is the only route we have for the highest level of recognition, so we have to convert the IPMS to IMS in the long run from within. It will be a long haul to do this as plastic is obviously a big money earner compared with those rebellious paper models that can be freely downloaded, but it can be done over time.

It is ironic that paper modelling predates plastic by many decades, but it is now marginalised (no doubt financial reasons as mentioned above).

In progress: Canon Alice in Wonderland Tunnel House, Canon A340, Learning Blender
Old 12-20-2010, 05:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Been following this IPMS idea since Chris started down the road.

Since I don't design or build "scale" models, most likely I'll never particpate in a showing. Alaska is very far from most of these shows.

This got me to thinking.

Do you have to be present to enter?

If not, why couldn't a member that is going, announce a month or two in advance so that other modelers could send some models to enter.

A placard telling who the builder is could be placed with the exhibit.

Just a thought on getting more paper into the fold.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Google Adsense