PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Fine Scale Paper Modelers > FSPM Lounge

Old 07-25-2011, 01:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
Thanks, Whulsey, Curt and Wyvern... I guess we are still in the beginnings of this hobby... more needs to be done. Best regards!
Old 07-25-2011, 02:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
Nice report, Gerardo. Thanks for giving a peek at your show. Also, as noted already, very handsome trophies. Were the helmets cast in resin?
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale
Old 07-25-2011, 03:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Those were excellent paper models. As a community of modelers, we owe a debt of thanks to Chris/ECard for sponsoring those trophies at a predominantly plastic event.

I am a former IPMS/USA EBoard member and past president. There is a growing acceptance of alternative modeling mediums in IPMS which started over 2 decades ago with the increasing use of non-plastic mediums for detailing models.

At a recent IPMS contest in GA, Chris/ECard sponsored a best paper model category. I won that category with my paper Renova HL Hunley against some stiff competition, including a couple of large scale wooden sailing vessels that had been dominating the ship class in regional competitions.

A well-built model is a well-built model regardless of the medium.

I urge all of you to seek out local IPMS chapters and show em your stuff. In the meantime, you will learn something about modeling in general.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
@RBeach84 - Yes, sir. Those were made by the IPMS club members. One of them designed it, and the others cast them, painted, and mount them. I didn't participated, because I'm a total trash as a painter. Photos of the process below.

@ CDavenport - You are totally right. Hanging with the IPMS guys is a learning experience, as you can see that there are all sorts of information we can get and also provide. But there is still the reluctance sense of many plastic modelers to see beyond - although I had many people on my talk on paper modeling, I was expecting more IPMS members on it.
Attached Thumbnails
FSPM Trophies on a Mexico IPMS event-dsc01393.jpg   FSPM Trophies on a Mexico IPMS event-dsc01407.jpg   FSPM Trophies on a Mexico IPMS event-dsc01408.jpg  
Old 07-26-2011, 01:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Before the paper medium gains more acceptance, modelers have to understand the benefit of it. And, since the benefits are manifest, it may take some time to nudge folks in our direction.

Tell you what, walk into one of those IPMS meetings with something they have never seen in plastic like a 1/32 B-29 or an Eiffel Tower, or, in my case, the 1/32 Hunley and you will open some eyes!