PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Fine Scale Paper Modelers > FSPM Lounge

Old 12-13-2021, 09:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This is a fascinating thread. I am glad to learn about other Forum members jobs and avocations. Nice to see Anne's work space. In all the years that I have known Rob Tauxe, I never previously discovered that we share a love for gamelan music!
Old 12-13-2021, 03:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
I've had many a passing interest over time. Mucking about with Meccano (aka Erector) was one, Lego another. Apart from paper models, the only other hobby which has stuck with me for lots and lots of years is collecting recorded music (once vinyl, now CD) of my favourite musicians. I've become interested mainly in a genre some folks describe as Girls With Guitars. As an example, here's what I'm using as a desktop right now. Look her up on YouTube!
Attached Thumbnails
What else do you do besides paper models?-love-comin-down.jpg  
Old 12-16-2021, 02:13 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
I spent the first half of my adult life (30 years) as an Army officer; then spent the second half (29 years) teaching at the U.S. Army War College, writing, and consulting. Since 2019, I have been working on the third half: building paper models, attending courses at nearby Dickinson College, doing a lot of reading, listening to music, nature walking, dining out with Lil, attending concerts and plays and operas, visiting museums, and keeping in touch with friends, family, and old colleagues.
Thank you for your service, Don. My daughter is full-time in the Army National Guard, working in military intelligence. She recently got a Master's Degree (or something like it) from the Army College at Leavenworth. We are very proud of her.
Old 12-16-2021, 02:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
To Don Boose, and any Indonesian members. I first heard recordings of gamelan music as a youngster, on LPS my father had found. Played them for years. Then in 1998 found a group here in Atlanta, have been playing since. Our daughter grew up with that group, then played with the Indonesian Embassy group in DC. Love the music, and every year (except the two just passed) we put on a wayang kulit shadow puppet show, with our gamelan as the pit orchestra.
Old 12-16-2021, 04:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
If I remember correctly, they have two of these aircraft?...one in really rough condition, but also on display.
If I remember correctly, the other Horten they have on display is a glider. The H.IIIh according to their website.
Google Adsense
Old 12-17-2021, 04:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
So many interesting bios to read! I wish we had a 'like' button so I could hit the button for all of them.

By trade I am currently a secondary science textbook writer. In the past I have taught middle school science, developed and scored achievement tests, and worked in salmonid habitat restoration (great job, lousy pay).

As for hobbies, I have had many (hunting/fishing, amateur astronomy, genealogy, breeding African cichlids, playing tactical simulation games, etc.), but modeling has been the one constant.
Old 12-17-2021, 04:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyaa View Post
If I remember correctly, the other Horten they have on display is a glider. The H.IIIh according to their website.
I keep forgetting to do a deep dive when I’m at work and have easy access to our databases, but we have at least four Hortens: the H IIIf, H IIIh, H VI V2, and everyone’s favorite, the Ho 229 V3. The first three are gliders; two look pretty good and one is preserved but incomplete. The jet version (wow, jets and plywood, what a combination) looks pretty rough and definitely needs more work. But, Airdave, we didn’t whack it up with a chainsaw!
Old 12-17-2021, 06:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
On my.I didn't know you have Horten gliders too.
Old 12-17-2021, 07:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 694.82 MB
Hoping to reach the age of 52 next january. Back in 2013 I was forced to quit working as I was diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma cancer. At that time the prognosis was not good; there was a high risk (about 75%) of dying within 18 months after the date of diagnosis. However I beat the odds, I was allowed to participate in a phase 3 clinical trial for a drug called nivolumab (immunotherapy) and the drug did it's job. For what it's worth, I think I am one of the longest surviving melanoma patients who recieved immunotherapy (with nivolumab) in The Netherlands and perhaps the world.
Stepped into the world of paper modelling have something on my mind, however I still cannot claim to be very good at it. I noticed I could combine this hobby with my passion for history (WW2 in particular). I spent my time mostly by roaming the internet for information, source material and paper models and I do like to share my finds (as you might have noticed reading my posts).
Besides history and paper models I have a strong passion for music. I host a radio show on a local radio station in The Hague (On average I do one show every week). I'm mainly interested in electronic underground music, like electro, new beat, italo, cold wave, dark wave and minimal wave. A lot of the music I play comes from the area of the Netherlands where I live, we call it "The West Coast Sound of Holland"....
And making radio is a hobby, it's radio with low capitol r.....not RADIO
Attached Thumbnails
What else do you do besides paper models?-foute-man-002.jpg  

Last edited by Foute Man; 12-17-2021 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-18-2021, 06:30 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Fascinating thread~

Teaching college is a part-time thing for me, though it sometimes feels like full-time. I'm also the president of the local historical society, and chairman of the city's zoning appeals board.

Besides paper modeling, my hobbies include model railroading, reading and writing, traveling, snowshoeing, volunteering at EAA's maintenance hangar in Oshkosh, and bicycling -- actually tricycling, I ride a 3-wheel recumbent ("tadpole" style, for those of you who know 'bents) that I call my "really fast lawn chair."

I have had a 45-year career as a professional writer, editor, aviation journalist, and marketing consultant, with a resume that needs a table of contents. I'm 70 but I have rarely been accused of acting my age. I'm half Scottish and I'll use any excuse to wear a kilt.
Attached Thumbnails
What else do you do besides paper models?-robin-me.jpg  
Google Adsense