PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Fine Scale Paper Modelers > FSPM Lounge

Old 04-28-2010, 09:02 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
IPMS efforts - contests, chapter and SIG

Well I suppose I should spill the beans on my latest initiative (you guys know I like to keep busy!)

I am in the process of joining IPMS. I am doing this for a few reasons. First I am going to be sponsoring several contests around the country with a special award - Best in Show - Paper Model. It will be a special award so will not prevent competing in other categories! Among these Contests will be the IPMS National Convention. That should get our hobby some visiblity.

To help promote this I will give any model for FREE from my site if the intent of the build is to enter into a show/contest. Upon proof of entering the model I will provide any one model value not to exceed $15 as a thank you. I have to put on this limitation because it does come out of my profits as I still make sure the designer gets paid for these kinds of giveaways.

Second I am probably going to get our own virtual chapter setup. IPMS membership will be required as will a small annual fee as is typical for most chapters. We would be the FIRST virtual chapter and would fall under region 13 - how cool is that!

Third I am also getting a Special Interest Group setup for Paper Modeling. This will be an officially endorsed IPMS group. I have already touched base with the guy that sets these up and he rather likes the idea.

One of the first things I want to work on with our chapter will be setting up judging guidelines. If you have any interest in this or anything to do with the IPMS initiative please let me know!
Thanks
Chris
Old 04-28-2010, 09:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgutzmer View Post
IPMS membership will be required as will a small annual fee as is typical for most chapters.
Curious. I've been an IPMS member for 15 years, and neither of the two chapters (IPMS-DC and IPMS-NOVA) who's meetings I've attended over the years ever charged a fee. They typically raised money through donated kit raffles, the occasional special decal offering, and when hosting a one day event or regional contest, through the selling of table space to vendors, raffles, and the sponsoring of "trophy packages". Guess times have changed....

Good luck on your efforts.

Mike
Old 04-28-2010, 09:34 AM
Design Admin

OK - thanks! I was going based off the sites I visited. I had figured on using the fees for additional awards and such around the country but if its not standard as part of the process I certainly wont charge it! membership is more important than a fee and I have no problem supporting these awards out of my business profits.
Chris
Old 04-28-2010, 10:09 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
I can certainly help out with setting up judging guidelines. Using the basic IPMS judging handbook, I taught a card model judging class to my local club prior to hosting the Region 6 convention last year.

Regarding fees. Most "physical" clubs charge dues for such things as give aways, coffee and snacks for meetings, sometimes for meeting places etc,. I don't think a virtual chapter, while having none of those "physical" expenses, would need a fee/due program. I could be wrong, it has happened once or twice!

Award packages are usually sponsored by firms in the contest chapters area, or specific individuals.

Let me know if I might be able to answer any more questions for ya.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 04-28-2010, 11:49 AM
Design Admin

Thanks Ray - I am sure we will be in touch
Old 04-28-2010, 02:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
The Hagerstown, MD club does collect annual dues ($20.00), mainly to offset the room rental fee charged by the venue we meet at. The club used to only generate income through voluntary donations and monthly raffles but could no longer sustain the necessary cash flow to exist.

Greg
Old 04-28-2010, 02:33 PM
Design Admin

Thanks for the info Greg
Old 04-28-2010, 02:45 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Pensacola Modeleers - IPMS club - dues are $20 a year. Site at IPMS / Pensacola Modeleers but hasn't been updated in a while. Their annual show and exhibition is this Saturday, 1 May, 9-4 at Washington High School, 6000 College Parkway in Pensacola. 44 categories of judging, door prizes, vendors. $2 admission charge.
Nice bunch of guys, I dropped in on one of their meetings when I started working up the college spacecraft display.
Yogi
Old 04-28-2010, 03:52 PM
Absolute Final Dimensional Contortionist Judicator

Total Downloaded: 398.11 MB
IPMS Duneland is voluntary giving (pass the cup around) and in club raffles as well as contests.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 33.47 MB
My local IPMS chapter does charge dues ($1 a meeting) to offset the cost of advertising, raffle prizes and community displays. We welcome papermodelers and have special categories for paper models at our annual contest every year.
Google Adsense