PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Fine Scale Paper Modelers > FSPM Lounge

Old 04-28-2010, 09:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 89.45 MB
I'm an officer of HPMS (Huntsville Plastic Modelers' Society); let me know if I can help somehow. We've got a show coming up in October; paper is welcome, but we haven't had enough yet to merit its own category.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 33.47 MB
I'm in. My local chaper also features papermodelers in our annual contest.

Todd #42373
Old 04-28-2010, 10:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
Chris,

Sign me up for the duration.

I have forwarded this discussion to Bob Penikas and David T Okamura both of these gentlemen have worked on influencing the IPMS National committee to consider Paper (opps I meant to say Card) Models in the national conventions.

Not to be disrespectful to the IPMS National committee they are certainly responsible for the high level of model building we have today and also keeping modeling in front of the public. BUT What they most want to do is increase the membership to the national group. Because of this I do believe we have two strong points for them to consider. First the size of this forum is approaching the size of the membership of the IPMS national group. We also have more posts per day (I could be wrong on this) on this forum then the IPMS national forum which is to say we are a very active modeling group. The second point relates to the first. I am under the impression that the national membership is relatively static and having more members join the IPMS national will help promote modeling in general and the card modelers would be a good source of new members.

I am a member of a local IPMSOC Group and have been a member of the national IPMS but I have purposely let my national membership lapse. They did not have anything for me as a card modeler. Great magazine, good people but nothing that related to my modeling needs maybe we could change this.

Jim Nunn
Old 04-28-2010, 11:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
Second 'bucket of water'

Just to say, per my post under Chris' other related thread, that a SIG might be more appropriate than organizing a Chapter. One, Chapters have an affiliation to a specific National organization, whereas SIGs do not. Two, the activities of Chapters revolve around physical conduct (meetings, shows, public displays, etc.) that doesn't really match to the concept of a 'virtual' organization. Last, Chapters must pay annual chapter charter dues (though minor) and have elections, where all officers must be current members of the national branch, and have at least 5 current members (including the officers.) To me, this "format" doesn't match to what I believe Chris is trying to do - which appears to me to establish a 'formal' link between the paper modeling community and the IPMS organization. Since SIGs are normally organized by IPMS members of common interest, are inclusive in nature, international and virtual in practice, all while being officially recognized by IPMS, this seems a better 'fit'. If 'paper' is to integrate with 'plastic', then an active 'layer' of IPMS members doing paper modeling irrespective of chapter affiliation should do the trick.

What do you think?
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale
Old 04-29-2010, 04:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbeach84 View Post
Just to say, per my post under Chris' other related thread, that a SIG might be more appropriate than organizing a Chapter. One, Chapters have an affiliation to a specific National organization, whereas SIGs do not. Two, the activities of Chapters revolve around physical conduct (meetings, shows, public displays, etc.) that doesn't really match to the concept of a 'virtual' organization. Last, Chapters must pay annual chapter charter dues (though minor) and have elections, where all officers must be current members of the national branch, and have at least 5 current members (including the officers.) To me, this "format" doesn't match to what I believe Chris is trying to do - which appears to me to establish a 'formal' link between the paper modeling community and the IPMS organization. Since SIGs are normally organized by IPMS members of common interest, are inclusive in nature, international and virtual in practice, all while being officially recognized by IPMS, this seems a better 'fit'. If 'paper' is to integrate with 'plastic', then an 'layer' of IPMS members doing paper modeling irrespective of chapter affiliation should do the trick.

What do you think?
In light of the international aspect of this forum, I think you are right, a SIG would be better than a chaper at this point. Those of us who are IPMS members should be actively promoting paper in our local clubs (which I do), enter paper models in IPMS and AMPS contests (which I do) and provide reviews to the national organization to post on the website or ultimately in the IPMS journal (which I also do).

Greg
Old 04-29-2010, 05:07 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
This is the kind of stuff i need to know

Does having our own IPMS chapter HURT our stance? I am not quite sure I understand the IPMS National thing (is that what IPMS USA is?) Can a member NOT belong to more than one chapter? One reason I want our own chapter is to have a somewhat more formal existence within IPMS, to show them that we are serious and to be watched. In regards to fees - I will cover those.
Chris
Old 04-29-2010, 08:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Nunn View Post
... They did not have anything for me as a card modeler. Great magazine, good people but nothing that related to my modeling needs maybe we could change this.

Jim Nunn
I agree with Jim Nunn and rbeach that IPMS has already certain aspects of formality for the plastic media.

My little stone in the shoe would be in the contests... Wanted or not, we all are eager to display our models to have some recognition. But who is able to grade the models?... the plastic modeler that see a very good paper model, go "wow", and award it just because of the "wow" factor? It has happened to me (not that I am reluctant to the awards I've won, I must say :p).

My guess is that Chris idea will fit great... contests with qualified people to evaluate card models, and thus, promote card modeling.

I'm also promoting card modeling in the clubs I'm in. But most of the times they go for the kind of printing and for some details... not for the forming, curves, scores, cuts, edges, and the like... things I would like them to consider, not only in contests, but in the monthly meetings.

So I guess that the Card Modelers need guidelines of what to consider on evaluate a card model in a contest. I vote for Chris' idea to go on for "IPMS The Paper Chapter".

Chris, I sent you the IPMS regional and National events in Mexico. I am certainly on to support your proposal.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.69 MB
I like it!

I probably qualify for the "Least Active Member Of The Forum Who's Been A Member For Years" award, but I really like this idea.

I, too, used to be an IPMS member when I lived in Michigan, but it's been a few years that I've been 'lapsed'.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this comes together.

Count me in (and I promise to try to be more active there :D)

Thanks!
Jim
Old 04-29-2010, 08:56 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Gerardo,

Regarding the aspects of judging a card model in a contest, as I stated elsewhere, I used the IPMS judges handbook to teach my local club how to judge a card model versus a plastic model. Also, how to judge a card model in general, using all of the criteria you specified, including edge coloring, bevelling, seams, glue, creases and parts forming.

As our chapter was hosting the region 6 convention/contest, this was eagerly accepted by the members who would be judging, and by the membership in general as they are quite fascinated by what I, and Pawel have been able to do with the cardstock models!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 04-29-2010, 09:11 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
That alone will be a hug help! I am seeing a lot of cooperation to help integrate us into IPMS I personally hope there is NEVER a paper category. I would much rather see us properly displaying our models in the standard categories.

Jim - glad to have you with us and be sure to keep following!
Chris