PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects

Old 01-08-2013, 04:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
My longterm goal... Edelweiss from Valkyria Chronicles

My favorite game on the PS3 with out question is Valkyria Chronicles. It's a turn based/third/first person tactical game set in a fictional alternate eruropa in the year 1935. Frankly it is simply epic. I heartily recommend it. Not least for it's visual design. I have the 'Development Artworks' book (japanese edition) that puts some small phone directories to shame in thickness and is dribble inducing beautiful.

Ever since my initial toe-dip into world of paper-craft two years ago and my recent resurgence there is one vehicle from this game i have been realy interested in making as paper craft. This is the one of a kind tank 'Edelweiss' that belongs to two of the lead characters (they inherited it from their fathers) It is an interesting collection of box and curve, slab and detail, especially in some of it's 'Upgraded' configurations.

I have more than I need to start making a computer model to then make a computer paper model but I want to try for something extra. I own the game on disk, and as I work as a game developer I do have access to PS3 Debug units (and coders) so I want to try and get at the in game 3d models to make absolutely certain I am basing my model off the most accurate data possible. I need to wait a few days for my firendly coder to 'be in the mood to attempt this' but I'm happy to wait...

If it works its going to supply me with all the data I need to keep me busy making Valkyria Chronicles models for ever ( losts of different tanks, with different configurations. more characters than you can shake a stick each with about three outfits, each with a full range of different arms)

Anyway, this is but the first post... If I can't free up the game data ( who wouldn't want to start with the actual textured models ? :D) then I will start in on constructing the reference model the hard way. Either way I will post progress of the project as I go.

Attached is an image of the Edelweiss (blue) and an Empire tank from the same game (brown)

Wish me luck.... :D
Attached Thumbnails
My longterm goal... Edelweiss from Valkyria Chronicles-vc-tank-edelweiss.jpg   My longterm goal... Edelweiss from Valkyria Chronicles-2009-09-18_valkyriatank.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-08-2013, 06:22 PM

Wow. I do like these tanks, something uniquely "fantasy"-like about them. I hope once you figure the paper model you are going to share it with the rest of us. I sure wouldn't mind assembling those. Good luck with the project!

Martin.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
They definitely would make interesting models. I suppose you need to get in there and see what you have to work with, but how large do you anticipate the models? I suppose 'scale' isn't the right term on these, but an estimate would probably be close, since you can guess the characters height.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.53 MB
There are some VC paper models out there, but based on the ones seen in the anime.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malyMod View Post
Wow. I do like these tanks, something uniquely "fantasy"-like about them. I hope once you figure the paper model you are going to share it with the rest of us. I sure wouldn't mind assembling those. Good luck with the project!

You need to check out the valkyria wiki they have info on all things valkyria related..

Encyclopedia Europa - the Valkyria Chronicles wiki. Check this for some of the vehicles in the three games...
Google Adsense
Old 01-08-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
There are some VC paper models out there, but based on the ones seen in the anime.
I thought the available paper models were of armour found in VC2
Old 01-08-2013, 07:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.53 MB
Yeah, just googled it. Though I need to find a full sub for the VC anime, I think it had a tank called Valentine which might be the same as the one in VC2.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
They definitely would make interesting models. I suppose you need to get in there and see what you have to work with, but how large do you anticipate the models? I suppose 'scale' isn't the right term on these, but an estimate would probably be close, since you can guess the characters height.
Posibly various sizes.

But if I can get the game data then I'd probably aim to work up to 7" figures and tank to scale... Should put the Edelweiss at ~9" tall.

If I'm feeling particularly stupid I could ALLWAYS aim to recreate the art book dust over illustration of 33 characters the Edelweiss and the Shamrock... But that's only if I'm feeling stupid......
Old 01-09-2013, 03:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
Hi there!

This is really an interesting project. All those rounded parts on the tanks will sure be a challenge for every papermodeler!

Looking forward to seeing more on this project!

Good Luck!

Rgds,
Radek
In the Garage: PANHARD AML20
Old 01-09-2013, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohnhai View Post
Posibly various sizes.

But if I can get the game data then I'd probably aim to work up to 7" figures and tank to scale... Should put the Edelweiss at ~9" tall.

If I'm feeling particularly stupid I could ALLWAYS aim to recreate the art book dust over illustration of 33 characters the Edelweiss and the Shamrock... But that's only if I'm feeling stupid......
actually measuring the figures with a ruler they come out to about 5.5"-6" and the Edelweiss comes out to just over 7" (that's still prety BIG) but I have already learned you can go TOO small.

Planning already on borrowing the multiple box method of building the frame that the huge SULACO model used. A truly elegant way of delivering simple construction structural strength by creating many internal double headed bulkheads.

My first attempt at a custom design taught me lots not lease of which is that large hollow structures are not stable and warp and deform...
Google Adsense