PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects

Old 01-29-2021, 01:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 56.40 MB
Thank you indeed, Foute Man.

I already have Warships in Miniature.

Making progress on Kongo. The prototype is slightly larger than 1:1000, so it should be good at the smaller scale too. I'm using the Office of Naval Intelligence deck and side views. I have ALL the ONI recognition manuals, including the never-completed (thanks to the November 1942 scuttling) one of the French fleet. Good drawings of Dunkerque and Strasbourg in that. See all of them on my CoatneyHistory webpage.

I'm going to have to re-do the tall pagoda forward superstructure. The cylindrical supports in it leaned forward, giving it its distinctive look. Even then, I will be simplifying it.

I have those downloads for Chokai and Oyodo, unassembled.

That other Japanese website is intriguing - beautiful coloration! - but parts are left out of the models shown ... probably so you'll buy into his work. The Kongo class were definitely NOT flush deck as it is there, which is why I have been deterred until now from tackling it.

But Kongo is a MUST class for 1:1200/1250, already in metal, of course, but that doesn't ship or carry easily.

I've dropped my paper models on the floor without any damage whatsoever. Of course, I use fairly heavy cardstock paper.

Last edited by LouCoatney; 01-29-2021 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-29-2021, 03:36 PM

WELLL ... this is interesting. It turns out I've got it right! ... for Hiei. It didn't have the huge angled tower supports that the others did ... at least that showed. Kongo, Haruna, and Kirishima had taller, thinner towers ... with the angled tripod-like supports.

Fortunately, I have Breyer's Battleships and Battle Cruisers - I wonder what it goes for on eBay now. The 1:700 models of Hiei and Kirishima? I have show the difference also.

For Kongo, etc., it will be far simpler to do the block tower and then require that the supports be added. Also, the 4.7" twin anti-aircraft mounts - 4 and then later in the war 6 - varied a bit in location, but at least according to Breyer, ONI actually had it right during the war, in comparison with the 1:700 plastic Japanese kits. Hmmmm ... I wonder if there are photos.

But it is that 2-level deck and hull that's going to be the real fun.
Old 01-29-2021, 04:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 694.82 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouCoatney View Post
I have virtually all the plastic 1:1250 Wiking WW2 warships, except for the super-rare USS Augusta heavy cruisers, of which I want 2. Having already done the Wichita and San Francisco models I may just go ahead and build them at 1:1200. (In fact, I may have already started Wichita, or is that at 1:1800? Hmm ....)
If I've done my reading correctly the Northamptons can be divided into two groups, the first three sisters were built as flagships with extra accomodation (Northampton, Chester and Louisville) and have a longer forecastle than the other three sisters (Chicago, Houston and Augusta)

User waynemac (Wayne McCullough) has uploaded a 1-600 USS Houston to this forum, she can be found here But perhaps you've already spotted his models, if not, Wayne has also designed and uploaded several US and Japanese destroyers in 1-600

User scissorsandplanes (Bruno van Hecke) has a 1-1250 USS Northampton for sale for only 1 USD. Unfortunately Bruno hasn't logged in on this forum since march 2020, so it's hard to contact him. However, there is a repaint (USS Chester) available on Ecardmodels.com and this one is only 1 USD as well

If you need some more Japanese destroyers, on Paper Etsutan you'll find some free models of Japanese destroyers (and much more) in 1-1000 scale

On this page by the JMSDF Naval Academy you will find the famous Kagero class destroyer IJN Yukikaze in about 1:500 scale and a very simplified model of IJN Mutsu. IJN Mutsu is very simple, but it's not modelled as flushdecker A seperate model of her guns is also available, but don't know how to deal with the 2D bridgestructure

Quote:
WELLL ... this is interesting. It turns out I've got it right! ... for Hiei. It didn't have the huge angled tower supports that the others did ... at least that showed. Kongo, Haruna, and Kirishima had taller, thinner towers ... with the angled tripod-like supports.
Fortunately, I have Breyer's Battleships and Battle Cruisers - I wonder what it goes for on eBay now. The 1:700 models of Hiei and Kirishima? I have show the difference also.
For Kongo, etc., it will be far simpler to do the block tower and then require that the supports be added. Also, the 4.7" twin anti-aircraft mounts - 4 and then later in the war 6 - varied a bit in location, but at least according to Breyer, ONI actually had it right during the war, in comparison with the 1:700 plastic Japanese kits. Hmmmm ... I wonder if there are photos.
But it is that 2-level deck and hull that's going to be the real fun.
This is a search result (is that the word?) I did in the archive of the university of Tokio, most results come from the archives of Japanese Naval architect Yuzuru Hiraga. His archive contains a lot of design drawings of the Kongo class as battlecruisers, and also a lot of drawings and studies of a ship we all know as HMS Hood. The images can be downloaded in full size, but loading the image will take some time. It's better to use a downloadmanager to download from this site

In this entry you'll find some of Hiei's decks, still searching for a frameplan and a linesplan

Last edited by Foute Man; 01-29-2021 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-29-2021, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foute Man View Post
In this entry you'll find some of Hiei's decks, still searching for a frameplan and a linesplan
IJN Haruna sections

IJN Haruna sheer lines and frames plan

The nerd in me found a way to download the images in even larger size than offered by this website, if you want me to, I could download a set of images and send them to you via wetransfer, as the whole package will be way to large to send via email
Old 01-29-2021, 06:40 PM

Thank you very muchfor the offer, Foute Man, but I think I've got enough now for what I want.
Google Adsense
Old 01-30-2021, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foute Man View Post
If I've done my reading correctly the Northamptons can be divided into two groups, the first three sisters were built as flagships with extra accomodation (Northampton, Chester and Louisville) and have a longer forecastle than the other three sisters (Chicago, Houston and Augusta)
I compared some drawings and I noticed I was (a bit) wrong in my statement:

"Six ships were authorised in FY29, the first three fitted as Divisional Flagships and the last three as Fleet Flag ships, with forecastle plating extended to the catapult towers for additional accommodation...."

And it was only after posting "the big novel" when I realized you're aiming for the Kongo class WW2 era hull, so these early design drawings will not help you that much with that
Old 01-30-2021, 07:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.74 GB
Regarding manufactures and the little ships - I have a good percentage of a set called "War at Sea" under the "Axis and Allies" name that were 1:1800 and really fun to play if someone else you knew was interested - but I rarely had an opponent and it seems that the line has been discontinued.

Axis & Allies: War at Sea | Board Game | BoardGameGeek
Old 01-31-2021, 10:19 AM

I have MANY 1:1800 War at Sea minis, Ryan

... but they are uneven quality, and the destroyer classes are soft plastic which are often warped and become brittle and do not survive well over decades.

They do cover an incredible number of WW2 classes, though.
Old 01-31-2021, 12:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.74 GB
Quote:
... but they are uneven quality, and the destroyer classes are soft plastic which are often warped and become brittle and do not survive well over decades.

They do cover an incredible number of WW2 classes, though.
Agreed, as I have a fair number of them.
Old 02-16-2021, 09:56 PM

Mutsu has the superimposed decks which are such a headache to design ... like for my Hiei. Cannot believe the 2-D superstructure, though. Maybe it was a course requirement?
Google Adsense

Tags
free downloads, simple ship model, wargames, warships, world war ii (ww ii)