PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects

Old 11-17-2021, 07:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 48.92 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to Dane
French Longboat Of The 18th Century 05

And here it is, a solemn moment. The theoretical drawing has been exported to Acad, where it will be “sliced” into parts. What bad? The process is quite time-consuming. What good? The accuracy of the parts obtained is plus or minus 0.05 mm ….
Now I can make frames and I can determine their shape and size.
In the Acad 2000, the frame acquisition process is a manual operation for each frame. With the Trim command, I cut off the lines of the theoretical drawing at the location of the future frame and connect the ends of the cuted lines with each other to get the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
PSG-Modeler-french-longboat-xviii-16.jpg   PSG-Modeler-french-longboat-xviii-17.jpg   PSG-Modeler-french-longboat-xviii-18.jpg  
Old 11-18-2021, 09:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Fascinating! It is like being in the mold loft while the lines of a watercraft are being laid out (minus the smell of wood shaving and tar).

Don
Old 11-18-2021, 03:03 PM

Yes Don. It was "half automatic" method of theoretic building the hull of a longboat. I used many handmade works for geometric construction of the hull. Now this work make by software like FreeShip! and Blender much quickly.
I had a workshop where I built boats. I clear understand what you tell about: smell of fresh wood and wood resin. And the thin whistle of the plane's blade...
Old 11-18-2021, 03:45 PM

French longboat of the 18th century 06

An important question is how thick to make “thin parts” – the futtocks of the frames? Do I need to increase their transverse dimensions in order to make them look better?
For “thin” frames, the section of upper futtocks is 1.0×1.25 mm …..
I began to make practical frames. It is necessary to determine their dimensions for the model.
oo small dimensions of the frames led me to the idea of making the entire frame in a special assembly rig. The assembly rig will hold the thin parts of the frame in place during assembly. After assembly, the assembly rig will be removed. The frame will remain in place. Here is the first version of the assembly rig with frame.
The first frame is ready! Slightly crooked. However, for testing an idea it will do.
Finally, after a lot of work, all the frames are ready!Rendering the finished parts or parts of the structure helps to represent their correspondence to the real prototype. And if you yourself were building a real boat, lining up the frames in a row, then it is easy to notice errors in the model.
The full version see at my site.
Attached Thumbnails
PSG-Modeler-french-longboat-xviii-19.jpg   PSG-Modeler-french-longboat-xviii-20.jpg   PSG-Modeler-french-longboat-xviii-21.jpg   PSG-Modeler-french-longboat-xviii-22.jpg  
Old 11-21-2021, 03:27 AM

French longboat of the 18th century 07

Now the next task is to make the stem, keel and sternpost. This is a simple operation, since the needed details can be easily obtained from their outline in the side projection.
After that - development of slipway for hull assembling.
See more at my site.
Attached Thumbnails
PSG-Modeler-french-longboat-xviii-25.jpg   PSG-Modeler-french-longboat-xviii-26.jpg   PSG-Modeler-french-longboat-xviii-27.jpg   PSG-Modeler-french-longboat-xviii-30.jpg   PSG-Modeler-french-longboat-xviii-32.jpg  

Last edited by Dane; 11-21-2021 at 03:28 AM. Reason: mistake correction
Google Adsense
Old 11-25-2021, 07:36 AM

French Longboat Of The 18th Century 08

In order to assemble frames with a cross-section of futtocks of about 1 mm, it is necessary to make special rigs combined with declivity boards. This will allow you to put the frames on the slipway in the required position and in length and, importantly, in height. Then, when the outer skin is installed, the hull will be sheared off the assembling rig. Standard procedure when building any boat with the keel up.
In real life, such boats were built in a normal position.
ut it is more convenient to model with the keel up.
After much deliberation, a vision of a slipway appeared. It turned out to be simple and reliable. There are just a lot of parts. 🙂
The “boards” of the hull plating turned out without any problems. I connected the corresponding points on the frames with smooth curves. It worked out well. I made the “boards” of the sheathing longer by a centimeter, so that after assembly it was possible to cut them off to size in place.
It looks better on my site.
Attached Thumbnails
PSG-Modeler-french-longboat-xviii-33.jpg   PSG-Modeler-french-longboat-xviii-34.jpg   PSG-Modeler-french-longboat-xviii-35.jpg   PSG-Modeler-french-longboat-xviii-37.jpg   PSG-Modeler-french-longboat-xviii-38.jpg  

Old 11-25-2021, 07:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Very interesting to see the sllipway.

Don
Old 11-25-2021, 08:21 AM

Hydrofoil Mukha Class Corvette Model, Part 5

I will continue the story about Filindr’s build of the Mukha-class hydrofoil. I had to pause this story when I started developing a new version of my site. So, Filindr and his beautiful paper model.
See at my site.
Attached Thumbnails
PSG-Modeler-2021-09-22-hydrofoil-assembly-p05-01.jpg   PSG-Modeler-2021-09-22-hydrofoil-assembly-p05-03.jpg   PSG-Modeler-2021-09-22-hydrofoil-assembly-p05-06.jpg   PSG-Modeler-2021-09-22-hydrofoil-assembly-p05-09.jpg   PSG-Modeler-2021-09-22-hydrofoil-assembly-p05-11.jpg  

PSG-Modeler-2020-06-02-hydrofoil-assembly-00-05.jpg  

Last edited by Dane; 11-25-2021 at 08:32 AM. Reason: New way of picts publishing.
Old 11-25-2021, 08:27 AM

Thank you Don.
I did this project almost ten years ago. Then I did not know about the existence of Blender yet. Therefore, I designed it as usual in Aсad, and did the renders in the Corel Draw Bryce 7 program.
Attached Thumbnails
PSG-Modeler-bryce7.jpg  
Old 11-25-2021, 01:05 PM

Airspeed AS.6 Envoy. New Project: Wing

Excuse me, gents.
I am recovering from an illness. I haven't gone to work yet, but I can sit at the computer...
Today I devoted a whole day to my site.
I began a story about how I developed a model of the Airspeed AS-6 Envoy. Taking this opportunity, I continue my story. The theme of the story is wing.
The article turned out to be large due to the many photos. Therefore, I suggest you look at the article on my website. It will be too cumbersome to publish here.
In the article, I tell about how I developed different variants of wing construction. The work is not finished, research is continued.
Attached Thumbnails
PSG-Modeler-zavod-envoy-049.jpg   PSG-Modeler-zavod-envoy-045.jpg   PSG-Modeler-zavod-envoy-068.jpg   PSG-Modeler-zavod-envoy-055.jpg   PSG-Modeler-zavod-envoy-063.jpg