PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Gallery Announcements

Old 02-05-2015, 10:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
Third Build - Dawn Space Probe

Thanks to kirch66 for a really great model.

My Imgur Album

Once the solar panels break off, cause you know - they will, I will reprint and redesign them. I went with a basswood core and a 5/32 dowel that I sanded down to the width of the basswood. BUT, I misread the directions and only inserted the dowel 3" instead of 2/3rd of the way through the panels. Not very sturdy. Also, I think I will use the basswood as a frame, cutting out the middle sections of the panel to save weight and preserve the strength. As it is, they sag within the spacecraft bus. Oh, well, I'll be hanging it from the panels anyhow.

Other than that, I went with tooth picks for the CSS instead of rolling tubes of paper (easier). And I added several mounting tabs to parts like the reaction wheels when I cut it out. But otherwise a fun model to build. Hope you like the results!
Attached Thumbnails
Third Build - Dawn Space Probe-smimg_1608.jpg   Third Build - Dawn Space Probe-smimg_1609.jpg   Third Build - Dawn Space Probe-smimg_1611.jpg   Third Build - Dawn Space Probe-smimg_1613.jpg   Third Build - Dawn Space Probe-smimg_1620.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 02-05-2015, 11:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 419.23 MB
Nice build!

I did the simple one, several years back. That's when I worked at a planetarium company. 'Also got the Dawn T-shirt. Years later, about the time I wondered whatever happened to Dawn, she reappeared in the news!
Old 02-09-2015, 11:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
It still turned out very well.