PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Gallery Announcements

Old 12-19-2021, 04:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
Jules Verne Airship "Albatross"

This is the airship described by Jules Verne in his 1886 novel "Robur the Conqueror". At that time, airships had been around for about 30 years and they were basically huge balloons dragged along by a propeller. They weren't successful. The power unit was always a problem. Steam was tried, as were the combustion engine and electric motors fed by accumulators. But whatever was used it made the ships clumsy, unreliable and downright dangerous.

Jules Verne's idea for Robur's airship was to make it like a sea-going vessel with a myriad of masts, each carrying twin electric-powered airscrews. As Robur had no means of making electricity he used cells and accumulators of his own design. The materials and acids used in the manufacture of these items remained Robur's secret and he wouldn't have them patented. All of which was handy for the storyteller. I very much doubt if it could ever get off the ground, but that's not the point. We can dream, can't we?

The kit was designed by Ladislav Badalec and published by Albatros, Prague, 1982. It was an excellent kit with beautifuly fitting parts. Other materials used were wooden dowel (for the masts), insect pins and cotton thread treated with beeswax. I'd never tried to rig a ship before and so found this part of the build a bit of a headache. I'm not displeased with the result though.
Attached Thumbnails
Jules Verne Airship "Albatross"-dscf0045.jpg   Jules Verne Airship "Albatross"-dscf0049.jpg   Jules Verne Airship "Albatross"-dscf0046.jpg   Jules Verne Airship "Albatross"-dscf0048.jpg   Jules Verne Airship "Albatross"-dscf0051.jpg  

Jules Verne Airship "Albatross"-dscf0052.jpg   Jules Verne Airship "Albatross"-dscf0055.jpg   Jules Verne Airship "Albatross"-dscf0054.jpg   Jules Verne Airship "Albatross"-dscf0057.jpg   Jules Verne Airship "Albatross"-dscf0058.jpg  

Jules Verne Airship "Albatross"-dscf0056.jpg   Jules Verne Airship "Albatross"-dscf0061.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 12-19-2021, 04:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.56 MB
Nice work. Nice model.
Old 12-19-2021, 05:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Very nice.
Those late 19th and early 20th century SciFi writers had some crazy imaginations. Very interesting, though.
I have an ABC magazine Jules Verne Special with models of some of his ideas including the Albatros.
Old 12-19-2021, 05:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
When I was 6-10 I loved J.Verne stories. Guys were reading cowboy and adventure books when Mr Verne took me to SF.

Nice model.I wish I had the patience for so many masts and rigging. My hat off to you.
Old 12-19-2021, 06:27 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
From the photos, this looks like a large model and a lot of fun. I am curious, what is the length?

It must have taken some time to build. I have always been a fan of Jules Verne. Some of the details on this are excellent Verne science fiction. Like the ladder draped across the side . . . I assume to lower to the ground as needed to disembark. And the flags are wonderful.
Mike

Last edited by Michael Mash; 12-19-2021 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
Google Adsense
Old 12-19-2021, 07:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 152.52 MB
It was a great and very well done work. Congratulations Michael!
Old 12-20-2021, 06:36 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
That really came out nice. I admire your skill (and bravery) in rigging this model. WWI biplanes scare me, and look what you've done. Amazing work.
Old 12-20-2021, 07:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 51.92 MB
Nice work, I tried to assemble this model in Sketchup, but the skeleton seemed quite inaccurate and the plating of the back of the fuselage did not fit me at all, but maybe I will continue to do so someday.
Old 12-20-2021, 08:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
It is beautiful, sir. I echo Don's comment about the rigging
Old 12-20-2021, 08:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 93.28 MB
Wow!
I love Verne's world and his ideas. I loved it since my elementary school days, far before I realized there is something like "steampunk"!
Fascinating theme and beautiful work!