PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Gallery Announcements

Old 09-26-2022, 03:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
Krak de Chavaliers Crusader Castle, Syria

The Krak des Chevaliers is found close to Syria's border with Lebanon, about 2,300 feet above the Nahr al-Kabir valley between Homs and Tripoli. It was a Muslim fortress in early times, until it was captured by the Frankish crusader Raymond of St Gilles in 1099. Raymond II made the castle a home for the Chevaliers, also known as the Knights of St John, or Hospitaliers, in 1142 and it remained a Christian stronghold until 1271; more of that later. As the Chevaliers found themselves in charge of an important strategic and economic position above a fertile valley, I suppose it's not hard to see how they became immensly wealthy. It's always the way. From it's humble beginnings as no more than a fortified courtyard it was gradually added to until it became a formidable fortress able to house 2,000 men and designed to be impregnable. And so it proved until - you guessed it - 1271. Don't worry, I'm coming to that. It's said that in 1170 an earthquake caused a lot of damage to the buildng, but it was up and running again by 1188. The outer walls and towers were added, bit by bit, during the late 12th and early 13th centuries. In 1933, the Krack was ceded to France. In 2006 it became a UNESCO World Heritage site. It suffered some damage during the recent armed conflict in Syria but restoration attempts have begun.

The kit was published as "Cut & Assemble a Crusader Castle in Full Colour" by A.G.Smith, Dover Publications, New York, 1986. Building it was something of an entertainment; drama, tradegy and farce. You get the picture. No idea what the scale is but the base measures approx. 43 x 29 cm.

Now where was I? Ah yes, 1271. It was in that year that after months of seige, the Muslim forces of the Mamluk sultan Baybars I had managed to penetrate the outer walls, but things didn't seem to be going any further for them. At this stage, the castle's commander recieved a letter from his superiors saying that as no help was ever going to show up he had permission to surrender and would be given safe passage. He and his men were well fed up by then so they took the offer, surrendered, and were able to go home. The letter was a forgery. The unbreachable castle was breached; not by force, but by subtlety. I like that.

Take a video tour here: Krak des Chevaliers, Syria [Amazing Places 4K] - YouTube
Attached Thumbnails
Krak de Chavaliers Crusader Castle, Syria-dscf0008.jpg   Krak de Chavaliers Crusader Castle, Syria-dscf0009.jpg   Krak de Chavaliers Crusader Castle, Syria-dscf0010.jpg   Krak de Chavaliers Crusader Castle, Syria-dscf0011.jpg   Krak de Chavaliers Crusader Castle, Syria-dscf0012.jpg  

Krak de Chavaliers Crusader Castle, Syria-dscf0013.jpg   Krak de Chavaliers Crusader Castle, Syria-dscf0014.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 09-26-2022, 04:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Very nice build of another unique structure. Thanks for sharing
Old 09-26-2022, 04:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Nice looking build of the model.
I have that book stashed away somewhere.
Old 09-27-2022, 06:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 18.52 MB
Krak des Chevaliers

I have the book too!
After the castle surrendered to the Muslims, onto the long wall between the two semi-circular tower at a distance one another, considered as a weak point, was added the great square tower. It is hard to get an exact picture of the castle since it was continuously modified over years, and this, apart from being enlarged moreover.

I have a interesting kit of the Mont Saint Michel, published years ago by the French Museums, without any mapping nor adorning, only raw thick paper, enabling you to build it at various periods, however, I lack room here to dive in.

Last edited by Renaud; 09-27-2022 at 06:34 AM.
Old 09-27-2022, 07:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 78.28 MB
Philip,
Impressive and well done.
Google Adsense
Old 09-27-2022, 10:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 82.25 MB
A good friend purchased said model a few years back and told me he had started in on it. So during a visit to his abode I enquired as to how it was going. "Slowly" came the reply . "Oh, really? Problems ?" "I'm scaling it up to 1/72 for my railroad..." I wished him well upon leaving..

Derek
Old 09-28-2022, 03:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 136.69 MB
I feel like I had something very similar as a kid, possibly published by Usbourne, but described simply as a 'Crusader castle' which was based on Krak de Chavaliers. Distinct memory of making the circular towers.
Old 09-28-2022, 04:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
Nice one Philip!

It's been on my bucket list for years, but never got round to finding the kit.

Cheers
Mike
Old 09-30-2022, 10:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Fine castle both the model and your build. Good to see it buildes well 'cause I have in my collection too. Thanks.

Tappi
Old 10-03-2022, 02:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
So good to read all your comments. Thank you.
Google Adsense