PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Gallery Announcements

Old 10-26-2022, 03:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
Storm At Sea Mechanical Toy

"Turn the crank to see the the steamer buffeted by the swollen sea". Well, quite.

This kit came in a thin box about a foot square and consisted of a few thick card sheets with monochrome printing plus some decent graphic instructions. The box top claims that no glueing is needed and I suppose that is true in theory. My feeling is that woe will visit anyone who attempts to build it this way, as it was hard enough to get the mechanism to work smoothly (too much friction) even with a solid-ish, glued container. I was going to get some talcum powder to lubricate the moving parts but no shops in my area seem to stock it any longer. Did talcum powder become a thing then?

I don't usually attempt to colour the black and white kits I build but this one just cried out for it, so a forage for the kiddie's set of felt tips was in order. And as far as artistic endeavour is concerned you will notice that I'm an adherent of the Primitive School. No sniggering at the back!

The kit was published by Derek Read Graphics. Don't know the year, but it was a fair while ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Storm At Sea Mechanical Toy-dscf0015.jpg   Storm At Sea Mechanical Toy-dscf0016.jpg   Storm At Sea Mechanical Toy-dscf0018.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 10-26-2022, 05:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Thanks for showing us another charming build.
Old 10-26-2022, 06:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
I also quite liked your imperilled ship in the stormy sea. Regarding the talcum, we needed talcum powder for something else recently and also found it to be scarce. I gather from a cursory Internet search that talc can contain asbestos, a cancer risk. The jury is still out on whether asbestos-free talc is a carcinogen. So I gather that companies, out of an abundance of caution, are backing away from its use.
Old 10-26-2022, 10:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
This is nice Philip. I remember seeing somewhere a vintage paper automata model of a ship at stormy sea. I have to browse my collection if I still have it or if can find it online. Never built one but now seeing this I might give it a try.
Old 10-27-2022, 02:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.07 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
...I was going to get some talcum powder to lubricate the moving parts but no shops in my area seem to stock it any longer. Did talcum powder become a thing then?...
I had a quick google and it looks like at least J&J have discontinued it out of caution but they have an alternative which uses corn starch. Maybe this is an alternative you could try?
Google Adsense
Old 10-27-2022, 03:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 520.55 MB
I gather pencil 'lead' is basically graphite, which is a good lubricant. Maybe some powdered lead from a soft pencil could be used. Too messy for any visible areas but might be okay on the internal mechanism? Nice build btw.
Old 10-27-2022, 03:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
That's another fun project Philip! It reminds me of a similar kit I got from my brother upon return of his summer holidays in the UK. He had bought it in a craft shop in Weymouth. Kit is named "Contraband Cat" by Keith Newstead. The cat is trying to row a boat full of suspicious merchandise in rough seas. It'll be fun to make, but likely also not easy to have a smooth mechanism....

Cheers,
Erik
Old 10-27-2022, 06:12 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
I love it. I think the coloring looks great. It suits the model.
Old 10-28-2022, 02:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
It's always a joy to read your comments. Thank you muchly!