PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Gallery Announcements

Old 08-10-2010, 07:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Wonder why there isn't a "standard" scale at which most ship models are produced? In the P!@$+!( community, they tend to do certain categories of models at certain scales, Aircraft at 1/48 or 1/32, Tanks at 1/24 or 1/32 and that kind of thing. Makes me feel like I've picked a bad scale for my Montana project at 1/200. I'm now wondering if my next ships shouldn't be at a different scale to make them fit with what other shipbuilders do.

Oh, and Richard.... Old boy, you really should post some photographs of this ship you're building. I'd love to be able to compare it to my Yamato-killer... err... Montana-class, that is. :D
Old 08-10-2010, 08:20 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Hi All,

That is one impressive Yamato build, very clean and precise. Being a sucker for all things IJN, I want to build one of them one of these days, which leads to the second part of this message, scale. I much prefer 1/200 scale for ship models as it offers a good size to represent a detail rich environment without having so many tiny objects to have to manipulate. While your 1/300 scale choice is one of the common ones, it can get a bit fussy when you have as many things like all those smaller caliber gun mounts to deal with.

But again, congratulations on a very excellent build of the big boy of the IJN Fleet during WWII.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer525 View Post
Wonder why there isn't a "standard" scale
We decide that 1:300 will be the right compromise between the amount of details, the time you need to assemble and overall look of the model. That's why I' can't find a big number of assembled "Yamato" in the forums|galleries. "Too many" kills you chances to take a look at the result. Maybe

btw - we saw 1:10 Yamato in Kure/Japan - can't tell that's a "standard"scale too

Developing paper models: Li-2/Douglas DC-3 1:48 | De Havilland «Mosquito» | «Yamato»
Old 08-11-2010, 07:57 AM

Hi,
I Got my fancy digital camera out and to my surprise discovered it's a Lumix 12 Mega Pixel, I thought it was a 10 MP - anyway, to cut a long stroy short, I learnt how to use it a damn sight quicker than I thought I would and took pix of all of my models and some close up detail (including the IJN Yamoto at 1/200 scale, as far as I've got, bearing in mind my construction is probably a lot different to what you all are used to) and now I have to learn how to transfer the stuff from the camera to my PC and find the CD with the software on.......and then, hopefully, I'll have some pix to post.
Should I reduce the pix so that they take up about 30kb or leave them as they are - probably abouit 1.5mb?
Scales I am used to are what is available generally from Poland and Russia: Aircraft 1/33, Ships 1/100 & 1/200 Sailing ships around 1/75, Tanks and AFV's 1/25 or 1/16 which is my building scale and fits in well with my collection of r/c tanks - I have
7 R/C Tanks - Plastic, a Couple of Tamiya, the rest are Heng Lo, which sell for about A$179 on e.bay + Postage.
Richard (BigBenn)
Old 08-11-2010, 09:32 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Reduce those pictures by all means. While we all live for photos of everyone's' work, transferring gigantic files around, waiting for them to download, as well as being conscious of the fact that not everyone has a blazing fast internet connection capable of handling those big files is the way to go. If you don't already have a photo hosting site (Imageshack, Photobucket, ie) get one, they have the tools you require to reduce your photos file size as well as links to use so that you can show your photos off in your posts.
Google Adsense
Old 08-11-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadhead1952 View Post
Reduce those pictures by all means. While we all live for photos of everyone's' work, transferring gigantic files around, waiting for them to download, as well as being conscious of the fact that not everyone has a blazing fast internet connection capable of handling those big files is the way to go. If you don't already have a photo hosting site (Imageshack, Photobucket, ie) get one, they have the tools you require to reduce your photos file size as well as links to use so that you can show your photos off in your posts.

What he said... :D
Old 08-11-2010, 06:32 PM

Hi,
The fastest download speed I can currently get is 400kb a second. What sort of speeds do you all get? Something for me to drool over I expect.
OK will do. I already have a program to reduce the size of photo's so no problem there.
I don't have a photo hosting site, so will get one pronto.
I've moved my pix from the camera to the computer, so its only a matter of doing the next bit and I should have something to show.
I'm not happy with some of my photo's, so will try again later today, to get better examples.
Richard (BigBenn)
Old 09-26-2010, 02:03 AM

Wow, Wow, Wow!!!
Old 07-20-2022, 05:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 391.86 MB
What an incredible build!