PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Sci-Fi Game Development > Game Mechanics Discussion

Old 01-12-2010, 10:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Scale

What scale are we aiming for?

Form the other post it appears to be single ships/vehicles and squads (8 to 10 troops) of infantry.

Assuming the game is played at real time on a map board how will we control movement. If you use movement points, how far will you go each turn?

How much time will pass each turn?

It may be we have two maps, one for faster than light travel with zones of movement and another for sub light speed for combat etc.

If a square on a map represents 10km sq then do you have to be in the same square to engage the other player?

Scale is a very important part of the game and will impact on all movement and combat rules and is something that needs to be agreed very early on.

Cheers JTF
Google Adsense
Old 01-12-2010, 11:19 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
I was thinking standard 30mm would be best. Honestly I have done lots of DND, travellers, boot hill and other such games but nothing really in the realm of miniatures so this part is pretty new to me and I am open to suggestions
Thanks!

I kind of like the idea of open play on a table top and distance moved is based on an actual measure say with a piece of string or something. this would allow for cornering etc - you could go as far as the string is long for each unit of measure say one point hyper or one point sublight or one point ground travel. For weapons ranges you could use a pre measured stick to signify line of fire etc etc

thoughts?
Chris
Old 01-12-2010, 02:47 PM

I see where your coming from.

My background is hex based board games.

One issue I see with multi-level games, ground and air, is the speed difference.

If a ground unit moved 100mm in a turn then and ground attack, non hover, unit would fly across the table and vanish in the same time frame, no air to air combat. That's why a lot of board games have abstract air support.

Some thinking required.

Cheers JTF
Old 01-12-2010, 03:39 PM
Design Admin

There wont be air support in the ground phase - air combat will be in the second phase when the surface is supplied.

Ground combat will involve structures, vehicles and troops at least until we come up with a good solution (can you say expansion pack?)
Chris
Old 01-13-2010, 05:45 PM

You can play the air combat in one table and the ground combat in the other. When a fighter or bomber can attack the soil, he would make a bomb passing, a rocket fire or a straff.
Google Adsense
Old 01-13-2010, 11:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 51.85 MB
Send a message via AIM to ThunderChild Send a message via Skype™ to ThunderChild
I like that idea. Ground forces need air support.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:11 AM
Design Admin

interesting - might look into that. could get confusing for those shorter on space though
Old 01-16-2010, 11:30 AM

Scales Division

I think that the game must have 3 scales to work. (see image.)

Deep space combat. These ships cannot enter atmosphere and are easy target to the big ground batteries. 1/2000 scale. Paper models with maximum size of 20 cm, maybe 30 cm. Squadrons of fighters.

Orbital Assault. Drop ships, satellites and fighters. 1/100 scale. Paper models with a maximum size of 30 cm to freighters and dropships, 20 cm to fighters.

Ground Assault. Eerything in 28/30 mm. Tanks in 1/50 (?).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scales.jpg (67.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 01-17-2010, 08:53 AM
Design Admin

very cool - this works for me. I find those sizes to be acceptable. Also dont forget we will have 2.5d representations as well for those that dont want to build huge fleets.
Chris
Old 01-17-2010, 09:09 AM

Sure. I would suggest that each model that we offered would have a 2D representation (an hex counter base with the image seing from above of the mini), a 2,5D representation and a full 3D representation.
Google Adsense