PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Sci-Fi Game Development > Game Mechanics Discussion

Old 01-17-2010, 07:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
What you are proposing in these lines is a game with the depth of Star Wars: Starship Battles.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...tarshipbattles

But without the Star Wars brand beyond it. That game, you can investigate, was very bad, with poor rules that even kids hated. Not even having cool minis saved it. Well I bought some blisters for the minis, but played it once and couldn't believe they had made such a terrible game. But it played in half an hour...

I really want to help you. I do like the concept of a game where all the minis are paper models. But I don't want to make a bad simpleton game. And I don't think people will buy minis for a game that doesn't work and doesn't have a brand associated with it.

So, my advice, if you still want me around. Check some game systems around. Don't be afraid to make a good game, even if takes longer or is a bit more complex. People that use Ecardmodels is people that make wonderful miniatures that take time to build. They won't be afraid of something that isn't childish.

You may check here:
Every game is here. Good reviews.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/

See you later.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:53 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Ronin,
I dont understand your just bowing out because we disagree on something. Is this not part of the process that goes into a great game? I think I made it perfectly clear that I am open to discussion so we can get a great end product.

Each phase is STILL the self encapsulated game as you suggest so that it can be played as a stand alone. each phase will still have its own manual for easy reference.

I dont know that game nor do I want to know it. I want US to develop a game we ALL like and want to play. I want to start a new thread to discuss this - I dont think we understand exactly what the phases will be for and how they will work. Look for a thread shortly for further discussion... we will come up with something workable - we proabably should have started with this, but I an a noob here
Chris
Old 01-17-2010, 07:58 PM

Okay. But why don't we call Conflict in Cosmos the generic name for the Universe we are creating and a sub-name for the different games?
Old 01-17-2010, 08:10 PM
Design Admin

this is in relation to my other thread one final question here then we can discuss over there

do you see the phases/games whatever we go with being interlinked at all or will each phase be completely separate having nothing to do with the interactions/outcomes of the previous phases? I kinda envisioned this as starting out as a strategic (naval) game working its way down to a tactical (ground battle) game but if its been done before and failed.... or maybe it just wasnt done well before I dunno - thats why I am glad to have experts interested in development!
Chris
Old 01-17-2010, 08:27 PM

I also want and believe in an Interlinked game where what happens in the game before will affect the next game.

What I think we have problems is with concepts.

A naval game is a tactic game, not strategic. If you move individual ships is tactic, if you move entire fleets where ships are abstractions, is strategic.

What I proposed was 1 Strategic Game. A map of a part of the galaxy where 2, 3 or more players moved their fleets, build and produced things and 3 tactical interlinked games, where players would move and fire individual units and one or two group units as the squadrons.

Everything interlinked, but bought separately.
Google Adsense
Old 01-18-2010, 06:26 AM

Coming back to theme of this thread - discussing highs and lows of different ways of designing Turn sequence is in my opinion pointless - without something to grab and wave

So I propose to go in both directions - I'll make rules for the A/B/A/B version, Blackronin will make rules for AB/AB version and then we'll all playcheck it on props - checking for easiness, fast flow, level of player engagement etc. Then we'll choose the system that's better overall or make some changes and make even better, different system that gets the best of both worlds.

The thing is - I want to make this system easy to play by kids - what better way to sold game when parent makes models together with kids and then they all play together? That's why I opt for very simple, intuitive, design, without need for too much counting (except for normal playing with numbers that a kid can do).

It is possible to achieve this - and still have some sort of realism by making the basic, easy core system - for kids, and then optional advanced rules for people who want more complication.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:53 AM

I think that kids is not our primary target here.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
Ey hey hey, just check my new suggestion, we want a war going on in our game but not here in the forum. Let's host some tests and see the answer. --Ofc we need to get the more detailed movements and units straight before that,
Old 01-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Design Admin

I would agree on our taget audience. We are probably aiming at 13 and above not younger than that. However once we have the basic game figured out we could in the near future easily simplify for a junior addition. yet another expansion idea! I would not have thought of this without this discussion