PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Sci-Fi Game Development > Game Mechanics Discussion

Old 01-18-2010, 05:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Rules for the Deep Space Game System

1. These two PDFs have the 2D models, bases and cards for 2 destroyers and two cruisers. It also have the playing rulers.

2. Rules will follow soon in this same thread.

3. To build the models, open the middle part of the base, insert the pylon, open to opposite sides both white parts, glue it under the base and then glue it on a thicker cardboard. Two sets of rulers will work better.

4. Anyone who want to test the rules can download the rules and the models. Dice are needed. Several D6, D10 and D12

5. To test the rules, make 4 of each dds and 2 of each cc. Try three games variations. First: Two fleets with all the ships in a meeting engagement. Second: 3 dds against one cc. Third: One cruiser against 2 cruisers. The lone cruiser has a captain level 3.

6. Feedback and photos, please.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CruisersDestroyers.pdf (465.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: pdf game cards and bases.pdf (1.33 MB, 15 views)
Google Adsense
Old 01-18-2010, 07:59 PM

The Rules - Basic Draft

With these rules a not so basic game can be played. A lot more will be added in the next days. I'll update it here, putting the date in the latest version.

Some rules aren't finished or have only the title, The reason is not that it doesn't exist, it's just that I'm working on it. But you can see how I plan to do it and can give me your critics and ideas.

Why only 19.5k for word files? Chris you must upgrade this so that I can upload documents.

6th Edit: 01/21/2010 - Added scenario rules. Minor rule changes. Changes are in red.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Deep Space Combat Game ver.01.f.doc (80.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 01-18-2010, 11:05 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 135.67 MB
OOPS! Wrong thread...
Old 01-18-2010, 11:06 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 135.67 MB
Message moved over to proper thread.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Command Quality:
CQ1 – Free – Basic Captains of any ship will have this. If a CQ1 Captain is the Admiral he will roll 1D4 in the Initiative Phase.
CQ2 – 10 Points – 1D6
CQ3 – 20 Points – 1D8
CQ4 – 50 Points - 1D10
CQ5 – 120 Points – 1D12
CQ6 – 160 Points – 1D12
CQ7 – 220 Points – 2D8
I got cold shivers reading Command Quality (CQ). It's so fantastically complicated - especially in dice use - 5 types of dice to use for just one roll - depending on the CQ level. The rules dictating the type and number of dices used are so complicated that virtually impossible to learn and remember - meaning you always have to get the rules sheet and check it out.

For starters I believe in simplicity - let's use one type of dice for entire game - best for that is D6 as the most easy to acquire - and if needed multiply or divide it - for example D3 simulated as 1-2/3-4/5-6 results on D6; multiplies - 2D6, 3D6 etc.

Second, the roll itself should be as simple as possible - and the simplest roll is single D6 rolled by each player, with the difference between CQ added to result of higher CQ player. For example if CQ2 and CQ4 players roll for initiative, they both roll a single D6, and the CQ4 player adds 2 (4-2) to his result. Simple as pie, remembered after one, max two games.
Google Adsense
Old 01-19-2010, 05:52 AM

Did you ever played Silent Death? You roll the to-hit dice, and these are 3 dice, two for the weapon, one for the gunnery skil. Different dice. Weapons can be D6, D8 or D10, gunery can be D4, D6, D8, D10 or D12. In the same roll you see if the weapons hit and damage done. I play it with my nephews. They learned in no time. They are 7, 8 and 10 years old.

I don't see any problem in CQ. Easy as pie.

I may see some problems in the size of movement rulers and I may have to shorten it a bit. Let's see.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:27 AM

In Poland we have proverb "It's darkest under the street light" - it describes the don't seeing the obvious thing...

Don't care for Silent Death but care for simplicity - if for you a handful of dices for one roll off is easy as pie compared to single dice throw then I'm scared to think what will be needed to more difficult throws.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:39 AM

In Portugal we have the proverb: "The one that doesn't throw a cork in the whirlpool will never build a boat."

But then, there is a proverb for every situation, right?

I'm a school teacher of the modern system. I teach "Education-by-art".
I don't start my teaching by complex things, but neither do I simplify things when a student wants to try the hardest way. I help him go along, managing possible frustrations, but helping him with his view and not reducing it just because I know a simpler way to do it. Simple ways are fine for many things, but creativity doesn't care about what path it creates. And if you cut creativity in the beginning of the process more often than not you are going to make a mediocre thing.

It was people who didn't mind about the darkness in their path that send us to the moon.

So, did you tried the game? Did you use the rule system?
Old 01-19-2010, 06:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
I'm starting to think the range system is over simplistic, only three range tiers would place too much on luck between ships of similar range. And the missile system could actually require missile or torpedo units to be fired from a ship, just like fighters launched. --As missiles are not instantaneous weapons, they may require a few turns to travel to their target, during which time they have a possibility of being intercepted. If missile travels to its target within the same turn, it'd better be called a shell.

And aren't we making a quick and simple test version of the game at this stage? If we over complicates the rules like what you currently have, the units will be hard to balance from the start, and as the system is complex balancing them will be hard, and without a balanced set of units we would never be able to test this system properly. I therefore suggest adding features one by one, because for now nothing inside the rules is carved in stone yet, in future if the system does not prove satisfactory we might as well need a major revamp of the system after which your details will become irrelevant.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:49 AM

Let's simply use inches as the units of measurements - no extra rulers to make. Now the shortest one is about 2 inches long - let's say that the minimal movement is one inch - what do you think?

I'll be posting small errors when noticed:

Quote:
Ships have turn bands in its bases. When they make a turn, they lose movement points. (Thrusters are being used to counter ship momentum.) Ships can make one turn per movement phase. They can make it before, during or after the turn. If the turn the ship makes ends in the green band, the ship doesn't lose any of its movement. If it slips to the yellow band, the ship loses a fourth of its movement. If falls on the red band, the ship loses half of its movement. Bigger ships turn less than smaller ships.
The red word should be "move" i suppose. And the wording "turn slips to a /color/ band" is not very clear as the bases are glued to the model and if you turn the ship they turn with it. Perhaps "ship turns in direction within boundaries of /color/ band" would be more precise.

I know its nitpicking, but that's what I noticed up till now and this is a first, alpha draft of rules, so it all needs a lot of fixing to get it right.

I printed out the ships and rules - now I'm trying to wrap my head around the rules

And I agree with Lex - the rockets will need additional rules
Google Adsense